The PSF White Bread Thread

Whalehead King

Wooda wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:16 am Being Vermont, it's Pepperidge Farms.

I haven't had bread in 5 years, though.

Some nights I have a vivid dream of toasting Pepperidge Farms sourdough rye bread, piling it with hot pastrami and drizzling with deli mustard.

I still remember.
I'm not all that savvy about the company's history or structure, but I think their headquarters was in Norwalk, Conn. when I was growing up. Our neighbor worked there. He was some kind of a manager and he arranged for my Cub Scout troop to get a tour of the bakery. (I almost typed plant).

I vaguely remember the tour but I do remember that each scout got a little six-slice loaf of Pepperidge Farm white bread. Every ate their whole loaf on the way home. It was about a half hour drive. I wasn't checking my watch at the time, I just know that this is how long it takes to get from my home town to Norwalk.
Whalehead King

The following article in today's paper isn't about white bread, per se, but it's about a neighborhood po' boy bread bakery. Po' boy bread is somewhat different but it is still white, mushy on the inside and has no fiber whatsoever. The main difference besides the shape and a hint of a crust is that the white bread we're talking about stays fresh indefinitely while po' boy bread is fresh for about four hours.

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... 19328.html

What I like about living in New Orleans is that even though it's a city of 380,000 people, I know just about everyone who was interviewed. In fact, I was talking with Karen Terranova about this last week since I sometimes go to Alois Binder for bread and pastry. They haven't had a pastry chef for about a month and a half. Not a good sign.

Another great small brand gone down? It is too early to call but I suspect, along with the magic 8-Ball, that it seems likely.
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

The only time I have white bread is with proper BBQ.

If the sauce is top notch I'll sop it up with the bread.

Any respectable joint gives you 2 slices of white bread with a plate of 'Q.
ever forward
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Whalehead King wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:47 pm The following article in today's paper isn't about white bread, per se, but it's about a neighborhood po' boy bread bakery. Po' boy bread is somewhat different but it is still white, mushy on the inside and has no fiber whatsoever. The main difference besides the shape and a hint of a crust is that the white bread we're talking about stays fresh indefinitely while po' boy bread is fresh for about four hours.

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... 19328.html

What I like about living in New Orleans is that even though it's a city of 380,000 people, I know just about everyone who was interviewed. In fact, I was talking with Karen Terranova about this last week since I sometimes go to Alois Binder for bread and pastry. They haven't had a pastry chef for about a month and a half. Not a good sign.

Another great small brand gone down? It is too early to call but I suspect, along with the magic 8-Ball, that it seems likely.
I hate reading things like that. The article, not your writing.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Whalehead King

There are few things invented that are better than sliced bread. One of them is a well packed pipe. A trusty and reliable pipe packed with good tobacco may not have 8 ways to help a body grow, but it has more than 8 ways to help a person appreciate life.
sisyphus
Person of Interest

I am more of a wheat bread guy for everyday. I like baguettes for charcuterie and cheese, and crusty white bread for sandwiches though. There's an Italian family bakery where I live called Orsi's that's been around like a century. Their white bread and their dinner rolls taste like childhood memories. They also make killer pizza.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Whalehead King

It's mesmerizing.
9 Iron
Founding Member

I grew up living within walking distance of two aunts who were old school housewives and both baked almost daily. We always had some kind of homemade bread around, it had body and flavor and some weight to it. When you toasted up a piece (or more likely pan fried a hunk in butter in a cast iron skillet) it was something to marvel at. One of gods simple pleasures, real bread, crunchy hot and buttery on the outside, yeasty beautiful white on the inside. Because of this I’ve never been able to tolerate store bought white bread. I’ll eat it in a pinch if I have to, but given a choice I’d find a generic crusty grocery store baguette and make do with that.
Whalehead King

I don't find this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holsum_Bread very enlightening, but since I've learned of this bread's existence I have admired the Holsum name.

Holsum. It's not exactly clever, but it gets its idea across. Like Uneeda Biscuit.

Apparently this bread is baked and distributed all over the country. I had never heard of it until I moved to New Orleans.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

It was this ...

" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.