This year's first Sheep/Caribou hunt

Wilderness Pipe

Dallsheep season has started August 1st up here, but because of a busted knee I couldn't guide any sheep hunts yet. But tomorrow I'm finally off for a 10 day sheep/Caribou combo. I'm pretty happy to get "back in the saddle" . The guy im guiding on this hunt I've known for a while and has become a pal of mine over the years. Anyways, I'm sitting in front of my cabin smoking my goodnight pipe and feeling pretty good. So I felt the urge to share my joy with like minded folks. I will post a few pictures when I'm back
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Wilderness Pipe wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:03 am Dallsheep season has started August 1st up here, but because of a busted knee I couldn't guide any sheep hunts yet. But tomorrow I'm finally off for a 10 day sheep/Caribou combo. I'm pretty happy to get "back in the saddle" . The guy im guiding on this hunt I've known for a while and has become a pal of mine over the years. Anyways, I'm sitting in front of my cabin smoking my goodnight pipe and feeling pretty good. So I felt the urge to share my joy with like minded folks. I will post a few pictures when I'm back
Have fun and good luck to your pal on the hunt.
The Troll Whisperer
Middle Earth

Hunting, pipe smoking, and camp
The good stuff
avid

Wilderness Pipe wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:03 am Dallsheep season has started August 1st up here, but because of a busted knee I couldn't guide any sheep hunts yet. But tomorrow I'm finally off for a 10 day sheep/Caribou combo. I'm pretty happy to get "back in the saddle" . The guy im guiding on this hunt I've known for a while and has become a pal of mine over the years. Anyways, I'm sitting in front of my cabin smoking my goodnight pipe and feeling pretty good. So I felt the urge to share my joy with like minded folks. I will post a few pictures when I'm back
i wanna come too
insufferable filter guy
Wilderness Pipe

Hey everyone. Got back from the hunt yesterday. We got my Client/buddy a beautiful 40" Ram. The weather was absolutely perfect and we didn't get a single drop of rain until day 8. On day 8 we woke up to about 12" of snow. On the ride down to Base camp we came across a Herd of Caribou with 3 legal Bulls amongst them. This was still up in the Mountains on an alpine plateau so we had to carefully stalk them for about 4 hours until we got up to a comfortable range of 280 yards. Those caribou had never seen or heard Humans before so when my client, for some reason, missed the first shot that herd never moved a foot. 2 bulls and a few cows lifted their heads, looked around and just continued feeding. Anyhow the 2nd shot went straight through the heart and the bull went down. Now I have 2 days off and then I'm guiding a Moose/Caribou combo. I fired up my smokehouse last night still and I'm smoking some of the sheep and caribou. Even though both animal were quite old, they still taste great.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I've heard dallsheep is great eating ... Never had it .. is it true or am I thinking something else
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Wilderness Pipe

Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:57 pm I've heard dallsheep is great eating ... Never had it .. is it true or am I thinking something else
Yup, they taste great. Mountain Goat and bighorn don't taste all that great, but Dall tastes awesome. One of my favorite for sure
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Wilderness Pipe wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:01 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:57 pm I've heard dallsheep is great eating ... Never had it .. is it true or am I thinking something else
Yup, they taste great. Mountain Goat and bighorn don't taste all that great, but Dall tastes awesome. One of my favorite for sure
You can't get close to them , right ? Like a flat trajectory shot over some good space ? I don't know what I'm talking about, I'm just imagining them across a valley on a mountain side . For all I know they graze in meadows or knock o. A hunting cabin door :)
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Wilderness Pipe wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:22 pm Hey everyone. Got back from the hunt yesterday. We got my Client/buddy a beautiful 40" Ram. The weather was absolutely perfect and we didn't get a single drop of rain until day 8. On day 8 we woke up to about 12" of snow. On the ride down to Base camp we came across a Herd of Caribou with 3 legal Bulls amongst them. This was still up in the Mountains on an alpine plateau so we had to carefully stalk them for about 4 hours until we got up to a comfortable range of 280 yards. Those caribou had never seen or heard Humans before so when my client, for some reason, missed the first shot that herd never moved a foot. 2 bulls and a few cows lifted their heads, looked around and just continued feeding. Anyhow the 2nd shot went straight through the heart and the bull went down. Now I have 2 days off and then I'm guiding a Moose/Caribou combo. I fired up my smokehouse last night still and I'm smoking some of the sheep and caribou. Even though both animal were quite old, they still taste great.
Man , that sounds awesome ! Sounds likevtbe does around here. You can drop one of a crowd of 7 and the others just keep grazing