CRKT CEO EDC Knife

Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Middle Earth wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:42 am
Houtenziel wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:14 am of the participants liner locks failed...
Good point
There are a few folder locks that will not fail
Demko's Tri-Ad is the best example
It will not fail
Liner locks can be sketchy
The CRKT CEO EDC is not a first choice for self-defense for sure
The blade is very similar to most OTFs in size and effectiveness
So I will back-track, and say the blade itself, is strong enough and the liner-lock is the weakest link
But, better to have it than not grab a knife at all because you want to run light
I really like it, as stated
Yeah, hopefully I didn't sound too preachy.. I just want everyone to keep all their digits :D
The knife that was recommended to me by the instructor specifically for defense was a Ka-bar TDI, or the TDI Hellfire. Small enough to be on a belt without even knowing it's there, and doesn't require any fine motor skills to operate(they are the first to go in a high stress situation). There are a couple liner locks that are solid, but most of them are the type that have a lock for the lock, which kind of makes that whole fine motor skills thing an issue again. For instance, I have one of the CRKT M16-13Z's that Ruff mentioned. It has a liner lock lock, which effectively turns it into a fixed blade. I've tested it to see how strong it is, and it will hold basicly my entire bodyweight without slipping. However it's small and fiddly, and I just don't see it happening if I had to use it for defense.

“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Houtenziel wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:57 am
Middle Earth wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:42 am
Houtenziel wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:14 am of the participants liner locks failed...
Good point
There are a few folder locks that will not fail
Demko's Tri-Ad is the best example
It will not fail
Liner locks can be sketchy
The CRKT CEO EDC is not a first choice for self-defense for sure
The blade is very similar to most OTFs in size and effectiveness
So I will back-track, and say the blade itself, is strong enough and the liner-lock is the weakest link
But, better to have it than not grab a knife at all because you want to run light
I really like it, as stated
Yeah, hopefully I didn't sound too preachy.. I just want everyone to keep all their digits :D
The knife that was recommended to me by the instructor specifically for defense was a Ka-bar TDI, or the TDI Hellfire. Small enough to be on a belt without even knowing it's there, and doesn't require any fine motor skills to operate(they are the first to go in a high stress situation). There are a couple liner locks that are solid, but most of them are the type that have a lock for the lock, which kind of makes that whole fine motor skills thing an issue again. For instance, I have one of the CRKT M16-13Z's that Ruff mentioned. It has a liner lock lock, which effectively turns it into a fixed blade. I've tested it to see how strong it is, and it will hold basicly my entire bodyweight without slipping. However it's small and fiddly, and I just don't see it happening if I had to use it for defense.

Yeah , thats the guy . Its solid as hell . When I think of an edc knife , I havent considered defense as part of the equation . But thinking about it now , a flipper auto type knife is fast and fast is good in a defense situation more than likely . But those style knives do haver liner locks which could wuss out as youre hacking someone into chunks , I guess . The traditional lock backs arent fast to open but you could cut chunks off people without worry of your fingers . A fixed is in the middle because its about as quick as a lockback to get going [ Im guessing because it has to come out of a sheath ] . There are some sheaths that have a quicker release .
anyway , not that Ill be in a knife fight anytime soon ? , but I'm wondering the balance of speed verse lack of worry of harming fingers .

The neck is the target . Its soft and compromised and vital as hell . The kidney is pretty nice too . That artery on the thigh ... thats a nice one as well but you dont want to cut the guys balls because balls are sacred , or should be ...

Hmmm ... speed of deployment or slower deployment and the strength of a fixed
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:35 pm Hmmm ... speed of deployment or slower deployment and the strength of a fixed
I thought the same thing about auto/assisted knives vs. fixed until I took a knife defense class where they had you deploy the knife under stress. Essentially you' stand there and someone would randomly sound a loud alarm which would be the signal to deploy and strike. Under stress, your fine motor skills go to s#it.. I.E. fiddling with a button, or a thumb stud, or a sliding switch tended to be a major point of failure for almost everyone(including myself). Using gross motor skills, like grasping, and drawing a fixed blade was far faster deployed and stuck in the target.
But the honest truth is, God willing, almost nobody will ever need to do this, so you should really just carry a knife you think is cool. Same for concealed carry.. you should carry something you like and want to shoot vs. neurosis over what is supposedly most effective. It's better to have one and not need it, than need it and not have one.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Oh , I hear ya . Trust me , been there done it . Back then , I had a lockback with thumb stud [ which i though was so cool ] .. this was before everything went pocket clip and assisted . Heres the thing to get the motor skills from going nervous haywire during stress ... practice like a mofo . I can remember when I was training like a sob and I could draw my weapon and drop whatever many rounds on target in a shoot dont shoot , or whatever stressful situation , and do it without hesitation , stress or even much of a thought . With enough training and practice it becomes second nature , like blinking .
Ive been out of " bad ass " stuff for some time and I know my reactions would be much slower these days ... except for getting jumped blindly . I had a friend just the other day try to snag me when I wasnt paying attention and all my training was right there in an instant ... it surprised the shit out of me and he didnt get hurt too bad cause I realized what was happening quick enough . But man , I reacted like I would have 30 years ago ... and I wasnt sore afterwards :)
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Ronv69
Founding Member

If I find myself in a knife fight I will be using a gun. I carried a Kershaw Leek for many years when I had to go to work and wear slacks. These days I find myself needing a tough work knife that opens quickly. My current EDC is a Eafengrow EF223 Folding Knife D2 Blade. Orange so I can find it in the grass.
God and Texas!
Jlando19

9 Iron wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:38 pm I carry a Hinderer xm18 on the weekends, it’s my favorite folder but far too nice to take to work.
We have a bona-fide man of class and sophistication amongst us gentlemen. Hinderers are grail material.
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Jlando19

Houtenziel wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:14 am I know I am probably vastly in the minority, but I personally wouldn't carry a folder for anything but utility. I once took a knife defense class where we had those self healing rubber dummy torsos to practice on. One of the participants liner locks failed when jabbing the torso, and it damn near took off two of his fingers. After seeing that, it's fixed blade only for me for anything I would consider for defense. Despite what the various knife companies would have us believe, most of these tactical style knives were not remotely tested in this manner.
I've been to a class where a full on 100 something pound pig carcass was strung up in the middle of the room so everyone could get a feel for how their EDC'S handled in an organic medium. I saw so many folders fail, tips break, spanish notches get stuck in bone and flesh etc. The only folder I saw succeed in my eyes is in my pocket and alot of its success comes from its shape. It's literally made for processing flesh. Otherwise I agree, fixed for self defense. Nothing crazy 3-4 inch blade with about a four inch handle, a little knowledge of Anatomy and you can dispatch anyone walking the face of this earth.
Jlando19

I've posted this one before. If push comes to shove this is what I'm going to work with.ImageImageImageImageImageImage