sisyphus
root

now I need to get the dies and brass so I can go shoot it
This post by sisyphus liked by (total 3):
Kevin KeithBruyere_RoyaleHoutenziel
Si monvmentvm reqvires circvmspice
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Once I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas I'll never know!

This post by Kevin Keith liked by (total 2):
sisyphusBruyere_Royale
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

sisyphus wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:46 pm now I need to get the dies and brass so I can go shoot it
I umm... have a .375 H&H. It is a wonderful rifle, and I can channel my inner Elmer Keith (Kevin's Uncle?) when I hunt with it. It is a handloading proposition unless you are Fortune 500. I take great pleasure in watching other people flinch when I shoot it at the range.
This post by Fr_Tom liked by (total 3):
Bruyere_RoyaleKevin Keithsisyphus
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
sisyphus
root

yeah I was going to have one turret set up for 357 and 45acp, I'll nix the 45 and do 375 instead
Bruyere_Royale
Jersey Devil

[quote=Fr_Tom post_id=73793 time=1601852157

I umm... have a .375 H&H. It is a wonderful rifle, and I can channel my inner Elmer Keith (Kevin's Uncle?) when I hunt with it. It is a handloading proposition unless you are Fortune 500. I take great pleasure in watching other people flinch when I shoot it at the range.
[/quote]

That's a nice safari gun.
.............🎳
sisyphus
root

one thing I've taken away from watching Youtube hunting vids of 375, you don't have to be going to Africa to use one. It'll down a moose, bear or elk, but I was most struck by the effect on deer and hogs. You won't be following any blood trails to find your game with a 375. They seem to drop in place, which seems more humane to me.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:04 pm [quote=Fr_Tom post_id=73793 time=1601852157

That's a nice safari gun.
[/quote]

I am ready.
This post by Fr_Tom liked by:
Bruyere_Royale

Old Ted Award - 2017
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

sisyphus wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:17 pm one thing I've taken away from watching Youtube hunting vids of 375, you don't have to be going to Africa to use one. It'll down a moose, bear or elk, but I was most struck by the effect on deer and hogs. You won't be following any blood trails to find your game with a 375. They seem to drop in place, which seems more humane to me.
I have shot one deer with it. I put the bullet through both lungs, so I avoided shoulder, etc. There was a 3/8 in hole on one side and a quarter-sized hole on the other. The deer dropped like it had been struck by a bolt of lightning. I have shot deer with a 25-06, a 30-06, and a 45-70. The 45-70 with a similar shot leaves a 15 yd blood trail that looks like it was poured from a paint can. With the 25-06 and the 30-06, they will look at you like "What do you think you are doing?" before wandering off 30 yds and collapsing. Admittedly the .375 was a sample of one, but I was impressed.
This post by Fr_Tom liked by (total 2):
sisyphusBruyere_Royale

Old Ted Award - 2017
Bruyere_Royale
Jersey Devil

Fr_Tom wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:32 pm
sisyphus wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:17 pm one thing I've taken away from watching Youtube hunting vids of 375, you don't have to be going to Africa to use one. It'll down a moose, bear or elk, but I was most struck by the effect on deer and hogs. You won't be following any blood trails to find your game with a 375. They seem to drop in place, which seems more humane to me.
I have shot one deer with it. I put the bullet through both lungs, so I avoided shoulder, etc. There was a 3/8 in hole on one side and a quarter-sized hole on the other. The deer dropped like it had been struck by a bolt of lightning. I have shot deer with a 25-06, a 30-06, and a 45-70. The 45-70 with a similar shot leaves a 15 yd blood trail that looks like it was poured from a paint can. With the 25-06 and the 30-06, they will look at you like "What do you think you are doing?" before wandering off 30 yds and collapsing. Admittedly the .375 was a sample of one, but I was impressed.
Good ol 45-70! That's my non birding gun. 🙂
This post by Bruyere_Royale liked by (total 2):
sisyphusFr_Tom
.............🎳