Chiappa 1892 Trapper

sisyphus
Person of Interest

took my Marlin 1894 in 44 out for the first time a couple weeks ago. I guess I thought that rifle was a lot of fun because I bought this today. It's a Chiappa 1892 with a 16" barrel in 357. My thought is that 20" barrels look better on a lever gun, but when I looked at 357 ballistics anything beyond 16" and the bullet actually loses velocity. That and I figured that despite looking short, a lever gun less than a yard long will be very handy in addition to being the best length for the caliber. I thought real hard about the current Winchester, and while I'm sure they're a fine rifle I just could not get past Made in Japan, so I went spaghetti western and bought a Italian rifle instead. Also the wood to metal fitting on this Chiappa is the best I've ever seen, just going by Youtube videos. People seem to think highly of these Chiappa and Uberti replicas, and as far as I know it's a 1:1 replica down to the screws and not just a gun that looks like the original.
Now if Ruger will just produce a Marlin 1894 in 41 magnum with an octagonal barrel all my revolvers will have friends.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

sisyphus wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:11 pm took my Marlin 1894 in 44 out for the first time a couple weeks ago. I guess I thought that rifle was a lot of fun because I bought this today. It's a Chiappa 1892 with a 16" barrel in 357. My thought is that 20" barrels look better on a lever gun, but when I looked at 357 ballistics anything beyond 16" and the bullet actually loses velocity. That and I figured that despite looking short, a lever gun less than a yard long will be very handy in addition to being the best length for the caliber. I thought real hard about the current Winchester, and while I'm sure they're a fine rifle I just could not get past Made in Japan, so I went spaghetti western and bought a Italian rifle instead. Also the wood to metal fitting on this Chiappa is the best I've ever seen, just going by Youtube videos. People seem to think highly of these Chiappa and Uberti replicas, and as far as I know it's a 1:1 replica down to the screws and not just a gun that looks like the original.
Now if Ruger will just produce a Marlin 1894 in 41 magnum with an octagonal barrel all my revolvers will have friends.
Man, that's a beauty!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Middle Earth

The Japanese Wincesters are fantastic firearms
wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:14 pm ....but when I looked at 357 ballistics anything beyond 16" and the bullet actually loses velocity.
Where did you get that ballistic data ?????
I am not seeing that
The .357 mag has more to offer in longer barrels from what I am seeing
I have two 16" Rossi 92s and I got the 16" barrel because it was handy, not because it had superior ballistics to a longer barrel

Regardless, the Chippa firearms are very nice

Good for you
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I don't think the bad guy cares about Ballistic charts, but I get it.
The Troll Whisperer
BriarPipeNYC

I wanted one of these short carbines ever since I watched a young man on You-Tube, shooting a lever-action .44 mag Henry Mare's Leg -that was converted into a SBR carbine. Don't know what it is but I love the look of a short carbine.

Nice rifle!... and the wood looks like it has some nice grain. Enjoy it .....while you're still allowed to own it.
sisyphus
Person of Interest

Middle Earth wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:32 am The Japanese Wincesters are fantastic firearms
wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:14 pm ....but when I looked at 357 ballistics anything beyond 16" and the bullet actually loses velocity.
Where did you get that ballistic data ?????
I am not seeing that
The .357 mag has more to offer in longer barrels from what I am seeing
http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html
Middle Earth

If you drill down on the .357 magnum and barrel length you will see that it is not a simple 16” and we are done.

Paco Kelly tested 2400 and found 20 FPS gain per inch from 16 up to 24 inches

BBTI used a single rifle in real world testing
Go to Buffalo Bore and see that firearm to firearm, it just depends
Using slower burning powders, you just keep getting more velocity by the inch

I have 16” lever action 92s in .357 and various lever actions in .45 Colt and .45/70 and .30/30 and the longer the barrel, with slower burning powders, the faster the bullet goes...

If you reload, try it for yourself
Then you can decide if there is sound logic in the notion that the .357 magnum, maxes-out velocity-wise at 16 inches and then slows down
Use a slower powder, and see
The .357 magnum case has the room to find out

In the BBTI data, in their cylinder gap testing , the 16 is more than the 17 and the 18 is more than the 17 inch
This has been much discussed on many forums

The BBTI is a good guideline, but nothing more
Not ultimate reality
The owner of BBTI was active on forums and he kept it real

Put some slower powders, 110/296/300 to the test
They will keep gaining velocity depending on the particular firearm
BriarPipeNYC

BriarPipeNYC wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:45 pm

I wanted one of these short carbines ever since I watched a young man on You-Tube, shooting a lever-action .44 mag Henry Mare's Leg -that was converted into a SBR carbine. Don't know what it is but I love the look of a short carbine.

Nice rifle!... and the wood looks like it has some nice grain. Enjoy it .....while you're still allowed to own it.
I couldn't own a SBR even if I wanted to own one.

It's ironic. Now that I could afford to buy a .44 mag, Henry lever-action Mare's Leg, it would be senseless. I live in New York City. I would need to apply for a Pistol Permit which takes at least six months, endless background checks, and big money, then wait for approval by NYPD. The application for a permit can be bounced and rejected for any reason. IF approved, then I would have to apply for a "request to purchase" order... just to buy only the one SPECIFIC pistol (Mare's Leg), then wait for approval-to-purchase only that one SPECIFIC pistol from the NYPD. A request-to-purchase is needed for each specific pistol. I then can buy it from the FFL vendor, and then I MUST have it inspected/verified by NYPD for correct serial number, etc. and have it approved by the NYPD. There are restrictions on how many pistols can be owned without having a gun safe. Another adult must also sign notarized affidavits that in case I should become ill, or declared incompetent to own or use a firearm, they will turn in my guns to the local PD. Exceed the number and you are forced to buy a gun safe and must have an inspector come into your home and verify the gun safe for approval by the NYPD. It would be totally illegal in NYC/NYS -even if I had a valid pistol permit- to convert or own a Mare's Leg that was converted to a SBR. In reality, I would first need a pistol-permit to buy the Mare's Leg, and IF I was allowed to convert it to a SBR, I'd also have to have a rifle/shotgun permit to legally possess and keep the rifle + have the special BATF permits to allow me to have a SBR legally.

Rifle/Shotgun permits are also required in NYC to own any long gun, and requests-to-purchase + approvals by the NYPD are also required to buy any rifle or shotgun. So, let's say I went to a gun show and wanted to buy a rifle, I would have to give a down payment to the vendor, apply for a request-to-purchase, wait for approval forms from the NYPD, show the approval papers to the vendor, then, I could buy the rifle. There are no instant firearm purchases in NY. Buy the time all the paperwork is approved, the vendor has returned to where he lives, with my gun and my money....and would have to ship the firearm to MY local FFL dealer, and then I would have to pay for the shipping, and all the fees that the FFL would charge me to handle the transaction. It's a mess. I gave up my permits a few years ago and transferred all my pistols to my good friend who lives in Florida. When I visit, I could shoot all my damn guns right in his backyard and do it without any PITA police showing up. Gun rights in "blue" NYC/NYS are a sick joke. Here, the 2nd A has been effectively nullified for decades....and it's gonna get a lot worse, everywhere.

Welcome to the new USSA!
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

This guy started it all! I was obsessed with this rifle and with Steve McQueen's Mare's Leg. The gimmick guns were the stars!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
sisyphus
Person of Interest

all the episodes are on Youtube, I'm watching them all from the beginning starting about a week ago lol