Help Me Pick an EDC Knife

simplepipes
Codger in Training

Old fashioned here . . . EDC to me means a good stout pocket knife maintained appropriately sharp.

For me that has been a Case Trapper for many years . . . would skin any game I needed to if that was my thing but more importantly will cut a seat belt, rope and most anything I am likely to encounter on a daily basis.

Enjoy your new knife . . . looks nice.

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

This isn’t an EDC but I wanted to show it off anyway. I commissioned it for my stepdad some years back and inherited it after he passed. A nice drop point hunter with ivory micarta.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Riff89

:o
Kevin Keith wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:03 pm This isn’t an EDC but I wanted to show it off anyway. I commissioned it for my stepdad some years back and inherited it after he passed. A nice drop point hunter with ivory micarta.
That is a damn fine looking knife!! Carbon steel?
Jlando19

Everyone is entitled to what they like. I've seen a few cases of de-gloved fingers from ringed knives. Sharpening notches which the CUT doesn't have get stuck in flesh, bone and clothing with an almost harpoon like effect. So I'd be cautious about about the large jimping on the spine there for that reason also. Yeah knives get stuck in organic mediums in real life. I'm not trying to make it harder to get my hand off a blade/ finger out of a ring in that scenario.

This is seriously one of the best options out there when it comes to self defense. Cheap, readily available, your not gonna be bummed if you lose it, have to ditch it or if it breaks off in someone's rib cage. Which it won't, I've jabbed one I to a pig carcass about 50 times repeatedly.
[img][/img
Like Hout said in another thread though. Get what you like and what makes you happy.
Last edited by Jlando19 on Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Riff89 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:09 pm :o
Kevin Keith wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:03 pm This isn’t an EDC but I wanted to show it off anyway. I commissioned it for my stepdad some years back and inherited it after he passed. A nice drop point hunter with ivory micarta.
That is a damn fine looking knife!! Carbon steel?
Yes, D2. It is sweet, even if I say so myself!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Houtenziel wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:49 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:29 pm
sisyphus wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:13 pm yeah this is gonna be the one
The cool thing about this knife is you can twirl it on your index finger.
See..!
The Troll Whisperer
sisyphus
Person of Interest

Jlando19 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:19 pm Everyone is entitled to what they like. I've seen a few cases of de-gloved fingers from ringed knives. Sharpening notches which the CUT doesn't have get stuck in flesh, bone and clothing with an almost harpoon like effect. So I'd be cautious about about the large jimping on the spine there for that reason also.
good points that I'll have to consider, thanks
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Jlando19 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:19 pm Everyone is entitled to what they like. I've seen a few cases of de-gloved fingers from ringed knives. Sharpening notches which the CUT doesn't have get stuck in flesh, bone and clothing with an almost harpoon like effect. So I'd be cautious about about the large jimping on the spine there for that reason also. Yeah knives get stuck in organic mediums in real life. I'm not trying to make it harder to get my hand off a blade/ finger out of a ring in that scenario.

This is seriously one of the best options out there when it comes to self defense. Cheap, readily available, your not gonna be bummed if you lose it, have to ditch it or if it breaks off in someone's rib cage. Which it won't, I've jabbed one I to a pig carcass about 50 times repeatedly.
[img][/img
Like Hout said in another thread though. Get what you like and what makes you happy.
My wife uses this exact same birds beak to peel potatoes, she says this is the best knife in her drawer.
The Troll Whisperer
Jlando19

My wife uses this exact same birds beak to peel potatoes, she says this is the best knife in her drawer.
The gentleman who I believe is responsible for introducing these to the weird subset of the self defense crowd I mingle in. Actually got the idea to carry this type of blade from his mom. She had an older version of the same blade that she used for work and defense. She is actually the one who modified the grip with the finger groove for indexing purposes.
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Jlando19 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:12 am Image
The gentleman who I believe is responsible for introducing these to the weird subset of the self defense crowd I mingle in. Actually got the idea to carry this type of blade from his mom. She had an older version of the same blade that she used for work and defense. She is actually the one who modified the grip with the finger groove for indexing purposes.
This knife is also very popular in French kitchens throughout the world. A Tournee knife.
The Troll Whisperer