Oldest rifle you have that is shot often

Bamarick

Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:14 pm

If I'm not bad wrong Investarms did make BP Guns for Cabela's and other Box Stores. Most likely my Traditions are out of the same plant. A lot of people turn their noses up at Traditions, but mine were tweaked by the guy that built them (not me) and as a result they are good solid rifles. The Mountain Rifle shoots cloverleafs at 50 yards from a rest. Gosh, this makes me want to make a trip to the range :awesome:
This post by Bamarick liked by (total 2):
CoreyRMiddle Earth
Just an old retired Telephone Man enjoying life one day at a time.
CoreyR
Founding Member

Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:35 am

Bamarick wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:14 pm
If I'm not bad wrong Investarms did make BP Guns for Cabela's and other Box Stores. Most likely my Traditions are out of the same plant. A lot of people turn their noses up at Traditions, but mine were tweaked by the guy that built them (not me) and as a result they are good solid rifles. The Mountain Rifle shoots cloverleafs at 50 yards from a rest. Gosh, this makes me want to make a trip to the range :awesome:
I have found that a lot of people turn up their noses to many good things in life.
As for a trip to the range? When my wife and I purchased our new home 3 years ago one of my requirements was a minimum of 5 acres with nothing else around it and a good backstop. Got it! and my main neighbor owns 75 acres, on three sides, and does not care if I shoot on my place, she is far enough away that it will not bother her. My other neighbor, however, raises horses and gunfire can upset them so I try to restrict my shooting to times when the horses are in the far paddock or in the barn. That said, I do not worry about it too much at this point. I have been there long enough, and shot often enough, that the horses should be getting used to the gunfire by now. I have not received any complaints from him, though I did discuss the matter with him when I moved in.
Point being that, generally, I can shoot from my back deck whenever I like. LOL. I do have a range area, where I prefer to do my shooting though. Brass collection point, bench, backstop, targets in place. It is SaWEEEEEET owning my own place!
This post by CoreyR liked by (total 3):
Kevin KeithMiddle EarthRonv69
CoreyR
Founding Member

Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:51 am

Ok, I uploaded the one good pic I have of that Hawken. This is in the middle of the cleanup/restoration that I did. I had gotten the surface rust off, , cleaned the bore, replaced the nipple, oiled the barrel and begun polishing the wood. Still had to shine the brass and do some detailed cleaning. I'll have to get a "finished" picture for y'all later.
This post by CoreyR liked by (total 2):
Middle EarthRonv69
CoreyR
Founding Member

Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:17 am

Ok, not an "old rifle" but I picked up a repro Kentucky long rifle this weekend, for a song too. Double set trigger, percussion cap in .45, this thing has a hair trigger once set.
I did some shooting with it yesterday, from my back deck. It is "Spotty dog approved." He did a couple of back flips and lots of tail wagging so it clearly met his standards of happiness.
The thing is well balanced with, what appears to be, a curly maple stock that is finished to near perfection. It just feels good in my hands and is a joy to shoot once I get used to that hair trigger. VERY touchy there.
After shooting it a bit I thought it was nowhere near as accurate as my Hawken. Yet, while cleaning it last night I noticed that the front site is a bit off center to the left. I shall try tapping it back inline and trying this again. I'll bet it is dead on.
Maybe we should start a "black powder" thread?