Oldest rifle you have that is shot often

User avatar
oldbill
Member in Good Standing
Posts: 838
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:11 pm
Location: Kyle, TX

Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:18 am

CoreyR wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:14 am
To revive an old thread here. I am considering the purchase of a .45-70 trapdoor Springfield conversion rifle. Still in its original military configuration. Seriously thinking about it! :D
That .45-70 Govt is a serious round, gets meat on both ends when shot! ;) :lol:
This post by oldbill liked by:
CoreyR
... and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
Scap
Junior Member
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:28 pm

Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:14 pm

oldbill wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:18 am
CoreyR wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:14 am
To revive an old thread here. I am considering the purchase of a .45-70 trapdoor Springfield conversion rifle. Still in its original military configuration. Seriously thinking about it! :D
That .45-70 Govt is a serious round, gets meat on both ends when shot! ;) :lol:
It's not that bad. The ones I've shot kick less than a shotgun.
This post by Scap liked by:
oldbill
User avatar
oldbill
Member in Good Standing
Posts: 838
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:11 pm
Location: Kyle, TX

Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:09 am

Scap wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:14 pm
oldbill wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:18 am
CoreyR wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:14 am
To revive an old thread here. I am considering the purchase of a .45-70 trapdoor Springfield conversion rifle. Still in its original military configuration. Seriously thinking about it! :D
That .45-70 Govt is a serious round, gets meat on both ends when shot! ;) :lol:
It's not that bad. The ones I've shot kick less than a shotgun.
Yeah it just depends on the rifle that the round is loaded into. I've been eyeballing the Henry .45-70, I have the brass frame .44 Mag Big Boy and I love it!
Image
This thing here (Magnum Research .45-70) makes my hand hurt just looking at it! :lol:
Image
This post by oldbill liked by:
Scap
... and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
Scap
Junior Member
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:28 pm

Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:44 am

oldbill wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:09 am
Scap wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:14 pm
oldbill wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:18 am
That .45-70 Govt is a serious round, gets meat on both ends when shot! ;) :lol:
It's not that bad. The ones I've shot kick less than a shotgun.
Yeah it just depends on the rifle that the round is loaded into. I've been eyeballing the Henry .45-70, I have the brass frame .44 Mag Big Boy and I love it!
Image
This thing here (Magnum Research .45-70) makes my hand hurt just looking at it! :lol:
Image
Buddy of mine has that 45-70 revolver. I'd rather shoot it over the .460 or .500 s&w magnums. Those are absolutely face crushing if you don't know what you're getting into.
This post by Scap liked by:
oldbill
User avatar
CoreyR
Founding Member
Posts: 235
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:55 pm
Location: Dinwiddie, Va

Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:44 am

But dang it, I have also started shooting a Hawken, cap version, which someone kindly gave to me. .50 caliber. Now I have a hankering to moving more into black powder and maybe a nice flintlock?
On a side note, that Hawken is nice. It is not original but an Italian copy. Came out of a garage of people who are "downsizing" to move into a camper. The husband sold off most his guns but this one, I think, he thought too far gone. It was covered in a layer of rust and the barrel appeared to be packed with dirt. He knows I restore old military arms, to shootable condition and asked if I wanted it? Ummm, We're gonna go with "YES" on that!
Even had it been unrestorable it would have given me valuable experience on an area I have been wanting to get into, black-powder. I mean, I have several of the early BP cartridge guns but they are not quite the same.
Well, I got the rifle, a "possibles bag" with some powder, shot and accessories and a bit of information from him. I spent about 4-5 hours working on it Thursday afternoon, after being released from the VA hospital (Wednesday night/Thursday=whole 'nuther story). Docs had told me to "take it easy" so I sat at the kitchen table and disassembled this critter. Put some water on to boil and cleaned the barrel in a 5 gallon bucket, checked it carefully, even polished the brass. The "rust" was VERY superficial, just a full coating of it. Came off easily with steel wool. The "dirt," in the barrel was, mostly spider webs and minor debris. One swipe with a jag took most of it out.
When I finished, bright shiny barrel with good grooves and no pitting, the bluing is even good, beautiful walnut stock, shiny solid brass-work. One screw, on the rear site, needs to be replaced. I put about $60 into new powder, shot, powder measure, new nipples, caps and cleaning supplies.
Thursday night I stepped onto my back deck and fired off a half charge of BP only. Friday I fired a 3/4 charge, then a full charge. Saturday I live fired it with patched balls. Dead on at about 150 meters. SWEET!
Now I want a flintlock!!! :thumbs:
This post by CoreyR liked by (total 2):
oldbillScap
User avatar
CoreyR
Founding Member
Posts: 235
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:55 pm
Location: Dinwiddie, Va

Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:47 am

oldbill wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:09 am
Scap wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:14 pm
oldbill wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:18 am
That .45-70 Govt is a serious round, gets meat on both ends when shot! ;) :lol:
It's not that bad. The ones I've shot kick less than a shotgun.
Yeah it just depends on the rifle that the round is loaded into. I've been eyeballing the Henry .45-70, I have the brass frame .44 Mag Big Boy and I love it!
Image
This thing here (Magnum Research .45-70) makes my hand hurt just looking at it! :lol:
Image
Yeah, I would be going for an old "Trap-door Springfield." I am a collector of old military arms. Been hankering for one for them to offset my British Martini.
Interestingly, I just ran across a heavily sporterized British Snyder. It it were not so chopped up.....
This post by CoreyR liked by (total 2):
oldbillScap
User avatar
oldbill
Member in Good Standing
Posts: 838
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:11 pm
Location: Kyle, TX

Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:04 am

CoreyR wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:44 am
But dang it, I have also started shooting a Hawken, cap version, which someone kindly gave to me. .50 caliber. Now I have a hankering to moving more into black powder and maybe a nice flintlock?
On a side note, that Hawken is nice. It is not original but an Italian copy. Came out of a garage of people who are "downsizing" to move into a camper. The husband sold off most his guns but this one, I think, he thought too far gone. It was covered in a layer of rust and the barrel appeared to be packed with dirt. He knows I restore old military arms, to shootable condition and asked if I wanted it? Ummm, We're gonna go with "YES" on that!
Even had it been unrestorable it would have given me valuable experience on an area I have been wanting to get into, black-powder. I mean, I have several of the early BP cartridge guns but they are not quite the same.
Well, I got the rifle, a "possibles bag" with some powder, shot and accessories and a bit of information from him. I spent about 4-5 hours working on it Thursday afternoon, after being released from the VA hospital (Wednesday night/Thursday=whole 'nuther story). Docs had told me to "take it easy" so I sat at the kitchen table and disassembled this critter. Put some water on to boil and cleaned the barrel in a 5 gallon bucket, checked it carefully, even polished the brass. The "rust" was VERY superficial, just a full coating of it. Came off easily with steel wool. The "dirt," in the barrel was, mostly spider webs and minor debris. One swipe with a jag took most of it out.
When I finished, bright shiny barrel with good grooves and no pitting, the bluing is even good, beautiful walnut stock, shiny solid brass-work. One screw, on the rear site, needs to be replaced. I put about $60 into new powder, shot, powder measure, new nipples, caps and cleaning supplies.
Thursday night I stepped onto my back deck and fired off a half charge of BP only. Friday I fired a 3/4 charge, then a full charge. Saturday I live fired it with patched balls. Dead on at about 150 meters. SWEET!
Now I want a flintlock!!! :thumbs:
Cool! I've been an avid black powder shooter for over 30 years, long before they became popular and like you I started with a Hawken. I remember the strange looks I'd get when I'd go to the range with it from all the guys who were sighting in their scoped .270's or .30-06's and then after they see it go off with a flash of fire and a bluish/grey cloud of foul smelling smoke they instantly wanted to shoot it! :lol: Black powder is messy and more time consuming both in loading and cleaning but it's a lot of fun. ;)
This post by oldbill liked by (total 2):
CoreyRScap
... and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
User avatar
CoreyR
Founding Member
Posts: 235
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:55 pm
Location: Dinwiddie, Va

Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:40 pm

oldbill wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:18 am
CoreyR wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:14 am
To revive an old thread here. I am considering the purchase of a .45-70 trapdoor Springfield conversion rifle. Still in its original military configuration. Seriously thinking about it! :D
That .45-70 Govt is a serious round, gets meat on both ends when shot! ;) :lol:
Yes but I am used to the likes of .577/.450 Martini, Austrian-Mannlicher, and 8mm Mauser. Really a whole host of early blackpowder cartridge guns and WWI-WWII bolt guns. In my experience, the BP guns have an entirely different kind of recoil and the Hawken seems to be the same as the BP cartridge types. Kind of "heavy" but slow not a sharp "crack" to the shoulder like many of the later loads. I can shoot my Martini all day long with no problems. Five rounds through my Austrian-Mannlicher? If I am still on my feet I am wondering where the truck went that hit me!!! That thing is brutal.
This post by CoreyR liked by (total 2):
Scapoldbill
User avatar
Bamarick
Member in Good Standing
Posts: 501
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:11 am

Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:59 pm

CoreyR wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:44 am
But dang it, I have also started shooting a Hawken, cap version, which someone kindly gave to me. .50 caliber. Now I have a hankering to moving more into black powder and maybe a nice flintlock?
On a side note, that Hawken is nice. It is not original but an Italian copy. Came out of a garage of people who are "downsizing" to move into a camper. The husband sold off most his guns but this one, I think, he thought too far gone. It was covered in a layer of rust and the barrel appeared to be packed with dirt. He knows I restore old military arms, to shootable condition and asked if I wanted it? Ummm, We're gonna go with "YES" on that!
Even had it been unrestorable it would have given me valuable experience on an area I have been wanting to get into, black-powder. I mean, I have several of the early BP cartridge guns but they are not quite the same.
Well, I got the rifle, a "possibles bag" with some powder, shot and accessories and a bit of information from him. I spent about 4-5 hours working on it Thursday afternoon, after being released from the VA hospital (Wednesday night/Thursday=whole 'nuther story). Docs had told me to "take it easy" so I sat at the kitchen table and disassembled this critter. Put some water on to boil and cleaned the barrel in a 5 gallon bucket, checked it carefully, even polished the brass. The "rust" was VERY superficial, just a full coating of it. Came off easily with steel wool. The "dirt," in the barrel was, mostly spider webs and minor debris. One swipe with a jag took most of it out.
When I finished, bright shiny barrel with good grooves and no pitting, the bluing is even good, beautiful walnut stock, shiny solid brass-work. One screw, on the rear site, needs to be replaced. I put about $60 into new powder, shot, powder measure, new nipples, caps and cleaning supplies.
Thursday night I stepped onto my back deck and fired off a half charge of BP only. Friday I fired a 3/4 charge, then a full charge. Saturday I live fired it with patched balls. Dead on at about 150 meters. SWEET!
Now I want a flintlock!!! :thumbs:
If I may ask what brand is your Hawken? I have 2, both made by Traditions. Both are kit guns the first being the Mountain Rifle while the second is a Prairie Hawken. The Mountain Rifle is a real shooter with 80grs of 2F, a hard card and then a .490" patched ball. I've yet to put the Prairie on paper. I love shooting BP!
Just an old retired Telephone Man enjoying life one day at a time.
User avatar
CoreyR
Founding Member
Posts: 235
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:55 pm
Location: Dinwiddie, Va

Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:43 pm

Bamarick wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:59 pm
CoreyR wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:44 am
But dang it, I have also started shooting a Hawken, cap version, which someone kindly gave to me. .50 caliber. Now I have a hankering to moving more into black powder and maybe a nice flintlock?
On a side note, that Hawken is nice. It is not original but an Italian copy. Came out of a garage of people who are "downsizing" to move into a camper. The husband sold off most his guns but this one, I think, he thought too far gone. It was covered in a layer of rust and the barrel appeared to be packed with dirt. He knows I restore old military arms, to shootable condition and asked if I wanted it? Ummm, We're gonna go with "YES" on that!
Even had it been unrestorable it would have given me valuable experience on an area I have been wanting to get into, black-powder. I mean, I have several of the early BP cartridge guns but they are not quite the same.
Well, I got the rifle, a "possibles bag" with some powder, shot and accessories and a bit of information from him. I spent about 4-5 hours working on it Thursday afternoon, after being released from the VA hospital (Wednesday night/Thursday=whole 'nuther story). Docs had told me to "take it easy" so I sat at the kitchen table and disassembled this critter. Put some water on to boil and cleaned the barrel in a 5 gallon bucket, checked it carefully, even polished the brass. The "rust" was VERY superficial, just a full coating of it. Came off easily with steel wool. The "dirt," in the barrel was, mostly spider webs and minor debris. One swipe with a jag took most of it out.
When I finished, bright shiny barrel with good grooves and no pitting, the bluing is even good, beautiful walnut stock, shiny solid brass-work. One screw, on the rear site, needs to be replaced. I put about $60 into new powder, shot, powder measure, new nipples, caps and cleaning supplies.
Thursday night I stepped onto my back deck and fired off a half charge of BP only. Friday I fired a 3/4 charge, then a full charge. Saturday I live fired it with patched balls. Dead on at about 150 meters. SWEET!
Now I want a flintlock!!! :thumbs:
If I may ask what brand is your Hawken? I have 2, both made by Traditions. Both are kit guns the first being the Mountain Rifle while the second is a Prairie Hawken. The Mountain Rifle is a real shooter with 80grs of 2F, a hard card and then a .490" patched ball. I've yet to put the Prairie on paper. I love shooting BP!
Judging by the squared "I" I am going with an "Investarms." I confess that I had never heard of them but they seem to have been sold by Cabela's, back in the day. There was also a "kit version" of this rifle but I am not thinking this was one of those though the previous owner did mention "blueing" it himself. I am thinking he had it long enough that he "reblued" it. I need to do some more checking on the serial number.
Post Reply