Retrohaling AKA Snorking

JTWilliams
Member in Very Good Standing

Bro Uhaha wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:55 am
JTWilliams wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:50 am
Bro Uhaha wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:46 am

If my love for certain music was contrived as part of a style, then yes, that would make me a hipster. Fortunately, I grew up in a musical family, and we spent our weekends traveling around to rural 'singings' as they were called, and I was exposed to music there and at every single family gathering that has deep personal meaning for me. This is my inheritance.

While NO ONE who knows me in-person would ever describe me as a hipster, I do appreciate hipsters in some ways. I give them credit for bringing facial hair back into mainstream about 10-11 years ago and my lady loves my smokey beard. ✔
Fair. The hipster crack was only in reference to the record player. Definitely not the music. Heck, I'm listening to George Jones right now.
😊 I support anyone who owns a record player and vinyl records, even if they wear skinny jeans and braces. I own thousands of records that I will never sell.

'He stopped loving her today...'
*sniffle*
I'm not crying dammit!
Fair. I mean, I still have two VHS players and a couple hundred tapes.
"Yeah, well, y'know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man."
-The Big Lebowski
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

JTWilliams wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:30 am
Fair. The hipster crack was only in reference to the record player. Definitely not the music. Heck, I'm listening to George Jones right now.
😊 I support anyone who owns a record player and vinyl records, even if they wear skinny jeans and braces. I own thousands of records that I will never sell.

*sniffle*
I'm not crying dammit!
Fair. I mean, I still have two VHS players and a couple hundred tapes.
I still have the original Star Wars Trilogy on VHS, the theatrical cut without all the weird CGI that Lucas added later. I also have a VCR for the occasional viewing.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I have Alexa, whatever I want to hear or watch I just tell her and wa la.
The Troll Whisperer
JTWilliams

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:11 am I have Alexa, whatever I want to hear or watch I just tell her and wa la.
I have one of those too. I've taught her some entertaining routines as well.
-The Big Lebowski
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Bro Uhaha wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:46 am

If my love for certain music was contrived as part of a style, then yes, that would make me a hipster. Fortunately, I grew up in a musical family, and we spent our weekends traveling around to rural 'singings' as they were called, and I was exposed to music there and at every single family gathering that has deep personal meaning for me. This is my inheritance.

While NO ONE who knows me in-person would ever describe me as a hipster, I do appreciate hipsters in some ways. I give them credit for bringing facial hair back into mainstream about 10-11 years ago and my lady loves my smokey beard. ✔

*sniffle*
I'm not crying dammit!
I owned / listened to records long before it was cool. Granted, the equipment I use to listen to them now is much nicer than in my younger years but that's just evolution lol
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Middle Earth

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:44 am

*sniffle*
I'm not crying dammit!
I owned / listened to records long before it was cool. Granted, the equipment I use to listen to them now is much nicer than in my younger years but that's just evolution lol
I listened to records when that was all we had aside from reel-to-reel tape
And tube amps
Sold off a huge record collection
I occasionally cry over the never played import Jimi Hendrix records that went away
Then tubes and vinyl came back
I am sticking to an even bigger CD collection
Less space
My ears cannot discern the difference between digital and analog
Too much shooting
Middle Earth

To the Alexa owners, have you accidently had her hear you say something and then execute it when the "command" that was not intended for her
I have
It is kind of weird
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Middle Earth wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:43 pm

*sniffle*
I'm not crying dammit!
And tube amps
I occasionally cry over the never played import Jimi Hendrix records that went away
Less space
Too much shooting
My ears are shot (too many years of loud) and I've refused to dive down the tube driven rabbit hole (I have a horribly addictive personality) I have a huge collection of music on my little pioneer media player for my truck (lossless files, balanced output cable, custom built amplifiers because I'm "that guy") Home is relatively simple with the listening setup doing duty as a home theater as well, all solid state until we move out of CA and buy a house somewhere. Then there's a good chance of a dive into the rabbit hole again
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:22 pm
Middle Earth wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:43 pm

And tube amps
Less space
Too much shooting
My ears are shot (too many years of loud) and I've refused to dive down the tube driven rabbit hole (I have a horribly addictive personality) I have a huge collection of music on my little pioneer media player for my truck (lossless files, balanced output cable, custom built amplifiers because I'm "that guy") Home is relatively simple with the listening setup doing duty as a home theater as well, all solid state until we move out of CA and buy a house somewhere. Then there's a good chance of a dive into the rabbit hole again
Surfing the web looking for PCB layouts for the pre-amp and power tubes you want to use, etching your own in ferric chloride, getting super anal about what caps and diodes you are using for no rational reason.. then deciding the PCB layout you have isn't right for the chassis you want to use so you download and learn Eagle so you can re-layout the PCB to fit the chassis.. Then debating on your layout vs. the more traditional hand wired approach... It sounds like you are "that guy".. you might as well just give in and do it.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
JTWilliams

Middle Earth wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:48 pm To the Alexa owners, have you accidently had her hear you say something and then execute it when the "command" that was not intended for her
I have
It is kind of weird
If I start to think too much about Alexa, I get the creeps.
-The Big Lebowski