White Elephant filters

JTWilliams
Member in Very Good Standing

Friend of mine sent me a care package--a Legend, some CB, cleaners, some White Elephant 6mm meerschaum filters. Anyone else have a problem with a really stiff draw on these? Any remedies? Other than you non-filter lads suggesting I throw them away :facepalm:
"Yeah, well, y'know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man."
-The Big Lebowski
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

JTWilliams wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:40 am Friend of mine sent me a care package--a Legend, some CB, cleaners, some White Elephant 6mm meerschaum filters. Anyone else have a problem with a really stiff draw on these? Any remedies? Other than you non-filter lads suggesting I throw them away :facepalm:
#NOT FAMILIAR WITH THAT BRAND . SOMETIMES FILTERS SEEM A TOUCH TOO LONG . TRY SNIPPING AN 8TH OF AN INCH OFF , OR A QUARTER AND SEE HOW IT DOES
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
avid

JTWilliams wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:40 am Other than you non-filter lads suggesting I throw them away
don't do it
insufferable filter guy
JTWilliams
Member in Very Good Standing

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:56 pm
JTWilliams wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:40 am Friend of mine sent me a care package--a Legend, some CB, cleaners, some White Elephant 6mm meerschaum filters. Anyone else have a problem with a really stiff draw on these? Any remedies? Other than you non-filter lads suggesting I throw them away :facepalm:
These are filled with meerschaum granules. Don't think cutting will work.

#NOT FAMILIAR WITH THAT BRAND . SOMETIMES FILTERS SEEM A TOUCH TOO LONG . TRY SNIPPING AN 8TH OF AN INCH OFF , OR A QUARTER AND SEE HOW IT DOES
"Yeah, well, y'know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man."
-The Big Lebowski
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

JTWilliams wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:19 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:56 pm
These are filled with meerschaum granules. Don't think cutting will work.

Yeah , I guess cutting won't work . never heard of these filters before ... Meer filled filters ? .. Weird
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
ncrobb
Founding Member

Drill a hole through the middle. 🙄😂

Just kidding. I’ve never heard of them.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
rosand

I know them, however 6mm tend to get wet easily and clumpy ... blocking the air. I prefer 9mm ... also available from Elephant
Pipecurious

I have a pipe that takes 9mm filters and use the elephant meerschaum filters (I really like them)
The 6mm filters do not work for me regardless of material (carbon or meerschaum), even the paper ones swell and constrict the flow in my experience.
rosand

Pipecurious wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:17 am I have a pipe that takes 9mm filters and use the elephant meerschaum filters (I really like them)
The 6mm filters do not work for me regardless of material (carbon or meerschaum), even the paper ones swell and constrict the flow in my experience.
That´s exactly my experience - I have around 100 pipes, 90 of them Savinellis, and only 4 or 5 with 6mm filters, most with 9mm (and some without filter I almost never smoke).
The 6mm always cause problems with the drafts and humidity ... uncomfortable to smoke, so rarely in use ...
avid

rosand wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:43 am
Pipecurious wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:17 am I have a pipe that takes 9mm filters and use the elephant meerschaum filters (I really like them)
That´s exactly my experience - I have around 100 pipes, 90 of them Savinellis, and only 4 or 5 with 6mm filters, most with 9mm (and some without filter I almost never smoke).
The 6mm always cause problems with the drafts and humidity ... uncomfortable to smoke, so rarely in use ...
welcome to the group
insufferable filter guy