YouTube

Maynard

Having been working from home the last six weeks , I can keep YouTube video's in the back ground on my TV, looking at Pipe smoking Videos I never knew pipe smoking was so complicated , I started smoking a pipe my dad gave me in 1976 a Red Viking I still have. I remember my dad smoking his pipe with just a wisp of smoke coming from his pipe his face never disappearing in a cloud of smoke, he was a slow smoker small bowl pipes that he seemed to get a lot of time from and I patterned my pipe smoking from him and my Grandfather who did the same just keep it going enough to taste I guess. I load my pipe without thinking about it and I know relights are part of the process , I had no idea how difficult it was.
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

It did take me a bit of time to get my packing technique down. I also prefer small bowl pipes. You will usually find me smoking a MM though.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Whalehead King

Maynard wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:21 pm Having been working from home the last six weeks , I can keep YouTube video's in the back ground on my TV, looking at Pipe smoking Videos I never knew pipe smoking was so complicated , I started smoking a pipe my dad gave me in 1976 a Red Viking I still have. I remember my dad smoking his pipe with just a wisp of smoke coming from his pipe his face never disappearing in a cloud of smoke, he was a slow smoker small bowl pipes that he seemed to get a lot of time from and I patterned my pipe smoking from him and my Grandfather who did the same just keep it going enough to taste I guess. I load my pipe without thinking about it and I know relights are part of the process , I had no idea how difficult it was.
I have watched enough pipe videos on YouTube to last me the rest of my life.

I listen to a lot of podcasts when I'm walking our dog. I thought about looking for pipe smoking podcasts but, then, I thought better of it, because, really, there isn't that much to talk about once you figure out how to do it----this isn't brain surgery. I haven't looked for any pipe podcasts because my time is better spent doing other things, as PSF proves time and again. :oops: :oops: :oops:
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

I confess that I watched a few pipe videos when I first got back into it.

However,

YouTube is generally pretty ridiculous

I've got to really, reeeaally bored to click on a link, regardless of the subject.
ever forward
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

I tried the youtube video route when I first started, and you're right; they made everything sound crazy complicated. Worse still, trying to do things as the videos suggested. Then I stumbled across the old PSF, and a few codgers changed everything. Yer right; rocket science it ain't. I scoop, squish a bit, top off, light'er up. I don't care if it goes out..that's what matches are for. If I get a bit o' gurgle once in a while, well, that's what pipe cleaners are for.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

YouTube is only the latest culprit in pipe packing misinformation. I've purchased a few older pipes that came with their original boxes and instructions provided by the pipe companies. These instructions frequently describe some variant of a layering method or discuss pressing the tobacco in some way, all of which can cause problems if executed as described.

I use the Scoop AKA Gravity AKA Haystack method in which I simply fill the pipe up without any layers. I gently press the tobacco crown with no more pressure than you would paper a hemorrhoid, light briefly, tamp with middle finger halfway through, and rock on.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

My father used the codger scoop method, and it seemed to work for him. I dutifully tried layers, etc. It seemed like I was turning something simple that worked into something complicated. I was back to codger scoop. I could not see any benefit, and it was more fussy. If a sponsor wanted me to use the three-pinch/layer method for some period of time, I could do it
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Tsal
Forum Decorum

The Troll Whisperer
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I've never watched a Youtube pipe video. I do like the blooper reels fro Everybody Loves Raymond and other shows. The ones with the Arabic guys shooting the .700 Nitro Express rifles are funny too. Everything I know about smoking is from watching the guys that smoked. That's analog Youtube. I always scooped and I guess I always will.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Those people are made of rubber. Lol Plant your back foot, lean into'er.
The Troll Whisperer