What's the second light called?

Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

You've got the charring light, which is never as great as you think it's going to be because it goes out, and then you have the second light. I always think of it as the lighting light but I know it can't be called that.

I have a love/hate relationship with the charring light. I usually enjoy the second light, whatever it's called.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ray Mackessy
Man About Town

I've heard it called "True Light".
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Have you tried skipping straight to just lighting the bowl? One match burns sufficient time for creation of an ember
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:03 pm Have you tried skipping straight to just lighting the bowl? One match burns sufficient time for creation of an ember
Pretty much what I do, 9 out of 10 times.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Wildcat wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:43 pm
Thelonious monkfish wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:03 pm Have you tried skipping straight to just lighting the bowl? One match burns sufficient time for creation of an ember
Pretty much what I do, 9 out of 10 times.
I use the soft, soft flame of a zippo.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Yup, and get that flame jumping about five inches out of that bowl!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Kevin Keith wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:24 pm
Thats the signal beacon light . Its code for pipe smokers to act
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Kevin Keith wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:24 pm
I searched for a video of somebody shooting a bottle rocket out their pipe the way I did on New Year's Eve at midnight, but I couldn't find one. I should have had one of my pals take a video of me at midnight.

The closest I could find was this guy with is bottle rocket bazooka:

Happy New Year!
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Citizen B wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:49 pm The closest I could find was this guy with is bottle rocket bazooka:
Ask a kid, my cousins and I would run around the woods and orchards playing Revolutionary War with copper pipe and bottle rockets . The pipes were our flintlocks and the bottle rockets were our ammo. Remember, no head shots, so aim for the head!
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Was gonna say.. just skip all that charring light/true light nonsense and hit it with a match full force. This ain't a cigar, no need to toast it first. I get why lighter people do it though, since they don't seem to ignite tobacco as efficiently as burning wood.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt