Pipe + Beer = Bletch

Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:09 am Harvey's Bristol Cream goes well with Stanwell Melange, that was many years ago since I stopped drinking for M'lady(Sober). If I think about the flavor of beer my guess would be that it wouldn't go together. I likes me coffee, tea, hot chocolate or fizzy soda.
Dr Brown's Cel-Ray goes with any machine made cigar, just so ya know.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Kevin Keith wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:13 am
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:09 am Harvey's Bristol Cream goes well with Stanwell Melange, that was many years ago since I stopped drinking for M'lady(Sober). If I think about the flavor of beer my guess would be that it wouldn't go together. I likes me coffee, tea, hot chocolate or fizzy soda.
Dr Brown's Cel-Ray goes with any machine made cigar, just so ya know.
I need to order some of that...that's been kicking
around here for a while and it keeps slipping my mind.. off to Amazon.
The Troll Whisperer
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Bourbons and Scotches seem to pair pretty well. I don't drink beer, but I can't imagine they are complementary flavors. Overall though, I think any alcohol and pipe is not a great combo, as it seems to increase bite. Both from the stupefying, puff like crazy factor, and the fact that booze strips off the stuffs that guard your tongue.

One thing I can definitely say is a no go for me, is anything containing citrus(particularly Orange/Grapefruit). For whatever reason it instantly makes my mouth taste like sulfur if I am smoking.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

I've found that Guinness Daught Stout goes well with burleys, and lagers/pilsners seem to go well with codger smokes. But root beer is better than all of them with burley forward smokes, and coffee is supreme.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

MikeDennison wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:48 pm I've found that Guinness Daught Stout goes well with burleys, and lagers/pilsners seem to go well with codger smokes. But root beer is better than all of them with burley forward smokes, and coffee is supreme.
I really enjoy Guinness, mostly because it tastes like coffee to me instead of beer!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Kevin Keith wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:58 pm
MikeDennison wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:48 pm I've found that Guinness Daught Stout goes well with burleys, and lagers/pilsners seem to go well with codger smokes. But root beer is better than all of them with burley forward smokes, and coffee is supreme.
I really enjoy Guinness, mostly because it tastes like coffee to me instead of beer!
😁 I get that!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Wildcat
Codger in Training

I went Houston once on business years ago. Spent a great night talking with locals and other out of towners. I had 2 Lone Stars, cuz well, I was in Texas and then switched to Guinness Stout. I hadn't yet heard Blackberry Smoke sing about Shiner. If I had, I would have started with Shiner and finished with it. Shiner Bock... yes sir! Good stuff!

One of the best things about NY, and there's so few, is Genny Bock! Limited time only once a year... C'mon spring!!
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Ray Mackessy
Man About Town

After my gallbladder was removed I just can't seem to handle beer any longer. Before my gallbladder was removed I liked drinking a lager with anything burley. I do remember Virginias tasting good when I used to drink bourbon. These days, since giving up anything with alcohol, I drink only coffee and A&W Root Beer with my pipes.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I'm going to agree with [mention]MikeDennison[/mention] and say that I really enjoy a stout with a smoke. Been quite some time since I've had an actual Guinness but heavy brown ales and stouts are my jam. Rarely indulge in them nowadays since I've been trying to be fairly dedicated to keto
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Guinness is the chocolate milk of beer. This one i miss drinking.
The Troll Whisperer