Flake Tobacco Tips

Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

I dry my tobacco but if I'm cutting a plug it gets shaved thin and rubbed into a shag and loaded thereafter. Most flakes I smoke are GH so I rub a few out completely and leave them on a dish to pack from. I don't do anything special for packing anything, just gravity fill until it's pouring out and gently nudge the overflow until it's packed and brush off the excess.
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

I don't like fiddling with tobacco. I just don't. I know its an age old ritual that should be respected and enjoyed as part of the experience. Myself, I resent being sold tobacco not ready to be loaded into my pipe and smoked. If its too wet or too dry I correct this with no small amount of mumbling and grumbling. Some flakes and blocks taste too good to just ignore so I do what I expect most Neanderthals like me do. I attack it like a Tasmanian Devil with a chainsaw with whatever sharp implement happens to be at hand. Flakes are easy victims but even Peterson Petrified Plug will succumb eventually. The post mortem may not be too pretty but it fits the pipe. It tastes good too. Now you know my awful secret of tobacco preparation.
Jlando19

Lostdog5152 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:37 pm "Peterson Petrified Plug"
This has to be the best alteration of a name I have ever heard! I'm calling it this from now on!
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I rub them out and then codger scoop from my palm.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Tsal
Forum Decorum

You can Cannon ball moist flakes which works well. Fold the flake into a compact square and roll it in your palm with pressure just to loosen it slightly, it should wad up.and look like a ball.
The Troll Whisperer
simplepipes
Codger in Training

Pretty much the same as TM and then top the bowl no matter the blend with a mound of Three Sails. Perfect burn through the bottom of the bowl every time.

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .