Tobacco Slump

Piping Abe
Certified Codger

I’ve been in a Pipe Tobacco Slump. I usually rotate through my favorite blends throughout the year and stick with one for a while and then move to the next. At the moment, none of them are working. None of them sound good either. I smoke them, and it’s a good smoke, but it is not as enjoyable as I know it is.

I could open a new blend, but even those do not sound interesting. Hoping this passes soon. I won’t stop pipe smoking, I still do it every chance I get.

What do you do when you are in a Tobacco Slump? And have you gone through this before?
The Secret to Happiness is Low Expectations
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Piping Abe wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:54 am I’ve been in a Pipe Tobacco Slump. I usually rotate through my favorite blends throughout the year and stick with one for a while and then move to the next. At the moment, none of them are working. None of them sound good either. I smoke them, and it’s a good smoke, but it is not as enjoyable as I know it is.

I could open a new blend, but even those do not sound interesting. Hoping this passes soon. I won’t stop pipe smoking, I still do it every chance I get.

What do you do when you are in a Tobacco Slump? And have you gone through this before?
I am not sure I have ever experienced this. I do know that I can have something I have liked and will open a bag of it - it is just sort-of a meh experience. So - I try something different. Maybe that is what you are describing?
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Fr_Tom wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:22 am
Piping Abe wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:54 am I’ve been in a Pipe Tobacco Slump. I usually rotate through my favorite blends throughout the year and stick with one for a while and then move to the next. At the moment, none of them are working. None of them sound good either. I smoke them, and it’s a good smoke, but it is not as enjoyable as I know it is.

I am not sure I have ever experienced this. I do know that I can have something I have liked and will open a bag of it - it is just sort-of a meh experience. So - I try something different. Maybe that is what you are describing?
Nothing is working for me. I think my palate is messed up or something. I’m not getting the flavors and taste I enjoy
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Piping Abe wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:39 am

Nothing is working for me. I think my palate is messed up or something. I’m not getting the flavors and taste I enjoy
I am going to prescribe some Macanudo cigars to reset the palate.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/cigars/Mac ... _id=120353
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Fr_Tom wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:58 am
Piping Abe wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:39 am

I am going to prescribe some Macanudo cigars to reset the palate.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/cigars/Mac ... _id=120353
Those are really good. I’m going to the cigar lounge soon with my Dad.
simplepipes
Codger in Training

Time to move up to Virginias . . .

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

simplepipes wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:01 pm Time to move up to Virginias . . .

-sp
Never ;) :lol:
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Ah , the phase shift . It sounds like your either messed up with Spring sinus something or other .... or .... youre fixin to have a " change up " . It happens . Sometimes some things get worn out feeling/ tasting and somethng else will pop . Its like another phase and its no big deal .

I can remember going through phases a little bit over the years and it may yet happen again , though I dont know what else it could be baue I think Ive gone through them all . Just for fun Ill try and remember some of them .

I remember not liking aromatics for a phase . It was prior to going into boot camp and lasted maybe a year . I can remember tasting something in Carter Hall , lol ,, and it tasted " aromaticish " to me and turned me off . During that time I was in Chicago for the most part and I was killing IRC Private blend and dabbling in a few other of their non aromatics

I can remember a phase , which was probably 6 months , where I was only smoking Englis styled blends , mostly PS EOS and Dunhill Standard Mixture med . This was a bit after the " Chicago incident " .

Ive had " Go To " phases , though i couldnt tell you the years it occurred . Edgeworth RR and Amphora brown were my thing until Three Nuns . Each of those was for a good while At some point I went with MB Scottish . When I moved up here , I was just getting on with MBGE and MB Scottish were going back and forth till I landed with MBGE

Its interesting you bring this up because just today I was down in the hell hole itself [ atlanta ] and I was smoking some 10 year old MBGE and I was kinda missing the Scottish . Recently I was knocking the Idea of Ace of Spades as my go to but Its a little rougher on me than GE or Scottish .Turns out I cant smoke many bowls of Ace of spades in a day , at least not back to back

Hey , could just be change of season and pollen messing with you . Honestly , I think its that crappy C&D and H&H stuff catching up with you :lol:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I have not gone through this slump you describe. Try some Lake District stuff.
The Troll Whisperer
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

I’m always grabbing something different from the stash to smoke, sometimes 3 different in a day. I like either a burley blend or English with my coffee in the morning, aVirginia blend during the day, and maybe an areo in the evening as a rule bit all subject to change based on activity or mood.
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering