The non method of pipe smoking ( for newbies )

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

It alwsys helps to do the newbie incantation before a bowl light , when you're first starting out ...

I wanna smoke ya right now
I'm not in the mood to fight
So flame to bowl
Light ya bastid , light
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Ruffinogold wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:09 pm It alwsys helps to do the newbie incantation before a bowl light , when you're first starting out ...

So flame to bowl
Light ya bastid , light
When are you going to publish the Ruffinonomicon in full, so that we can have your full book of pipe smoking incantations?
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Whalehead King

houtenziel wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:17 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:09 pm It alwsys helps to do the newbie incantation before a bowl light , when you're first starting out ...

So flame to bowl
Light ya bastid , light
When are you going to publish the Ruffinonomicon in full, so that we can have your full book of pipe smoking incantations?
Lets' not try to invite the likes of Ruffthulhu or Nyarloruffotep into this dimension.

Apropos of this post, I was researching an early D&D artist who illustrated the Cthulhu mythos this morning, should anyone want to take a look at the work of Erol Otis and take a gander of his interpretations of the Old Ones. http://jrients.tripod.com/otus/otusddg.html
Surlywill

As a newbie I can say the best thing I was ever told is don’t forget to enjoy the smoke. It’s not rocket science. If I have to relight a few times big deal. What has given me a little trouble is folding navy flake. In fact I have some PS luxury Navy I think I’ll go smoke.. :D
“ If A is a success in life, then A=X+Y+Z. Work is X; Y is play; and Z is keeping your mouth shut.”
- Albert Einstein
Whalehead King

I remember when I first started and I 'learned' all the techniques. Nowadays, I don't even think about it. Practice makes perfect. I just pack the pipe until it feels right, I light it, I tamp it, I relight as necessary.

It really isn't rocket science. It is as complicated as you want to make it. Newbies will get tongue bit in the beginning but if they stick to it, they'll figure it out. Ours is a very enjoyable pastime full of flavor and meditative enjoyment. Overthinking this is the worst thing you can do. Failure isn't a problem if all that you're losing is a bowl of pipe tobacco. Keep at it and in before you realize it, your smokes will be transporting episodes to look forward to, not trials to endure as you try to master the (few, very few) nuances of packing and relighting and pipe cleaner technique. You'll develop your own technique as it suits your taste and you'll be happier for it. Smoke in good health.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

" Episodes , not trials " ...... the king of Nola nails it again :thumbs:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:01 pm " Episodes , not trials " ...... the king of Nola nails it again :thumbs:
That would be the Chapstick of Nola.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
JTWilliams
Member in Very Good Standing

Whalehead King wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:16 pm

So flame to bowl
Light ya bastid , light
Lets' not try to invite the likes of Ruffthulhu or Nyarloruffotep into this dimension.

Apropos of this post, I was researching an early D&D artist who illustrated the Cthulhu mythos this morning, should anyone want to take a look at the work of Erol Otis and take a gander of his interpretations of the Old Ones. http://jrients.tripod.com/otus/otusddg.html
Ha! I just bought the Necronomnomnom recently!
"Yeah, well, y'know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man."
-The Big Lebowski
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

JTWilliams wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:53 pm
Whalehead King wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:16 pm

Ha! I just bought the Necronomnomnom recently!
I know ever bit of that Erol Otis art.
My past life as a Dungeon Master is a closely held secret.
Whalehead King

Bro Uhaha wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:56 pm
I know ever bit of that Erol Otis art.
My past life as a Dungeon Master is a closely held secret.
This post belongs in the "Confessions of a Pipe Smoker" thread.