Hello and happy to be back at it

Seamaster

Thanks to Mike and Kevin for their welcomes in the Latest Tobacco Purchase 2020 thread, and it was remiss of me not to have posted a quick hello here.

I've been an on/off pipe smoker since I was a student in the early nineties, but cigars always lured me away. I had a few periods of pipe infatuation in the period since — I was all about Falcons for while, then later Dunhills — this time it's the humble corncob pipe that got me back at it when I decided I couldn't no longer stomach the price of decent stogies. God bless MM!

I've been reading several forums voraciously for the last several weeks, finally got round to registering here. Thanks to all for the sage advice, hopefully I can make a modest contribution of my own.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Once again, Welcome! I like cigars myself, though the modestly priced machine mades are my favorites. We look forward to your input around here!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Seamaster

My favourites are machine made — Villiger Rio and Export — but UK duty paid they are now ruinously expensive!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Welcome to PSF!
The Troll Whisperer
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Glad you found us!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Middle Earth

Greetings and salutations from the Springfield Plateau
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Glad you are here!
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

It's nice to meet you. I don't think I've posted on the Introduction thread yet, but it's probably too late for me to do it now. Good on you for getting it done timely. I'm remiss.

Villiger cigars are excellent smokes.

Are you complaining about the taxes because they're 'imported' from the EU so you have to pay an excise tax or because of native UK taxes that have been in place pre-Brexit? Does Scotland impose higher tobacco taxes. than elsewhere in the UK? I have to admit, I know you're united over there but I don't always understand how things work. I am too nervous to ever volunteer to drive on the wrong side of the road, for instance, and I always tip by American calculations when I'm in the UK.

The time I'm in the UK, I don't smoke but when I go to pick up a morning newspaper at the local shop, I am amazed by the pipe tobacco and OTC cigars you have there. Of course, it would be vice versa, too, I suppose.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Welcome aboard
Seamaster

Citizen B wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:04 pmAre you complaining about the taxes because they're 'imported' from the EU so you have to pay an excise tax or because of native UK taxes that have been in place pre-Brexit? Does Scotland impose higher tobacco taxes. than elsewhere in the UK?
Just the native UK taxes. Not that cigars are much cheaper in most countries on the continent anymore.

No higher taxes in Scotland on tobacco, but that could come — we do pay more for alcohol. Imagine that. A bottle of scotch costs more where it’s distilled than it does south of the border.