tobacco question

paulallen

Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:32 am

When I was a regular pipe smoker ('60s) I smoked Borkum Riff. I recall that it came in a moist, pressed cake in the pouch, THIN SLICED. The idea was to remove a slice, rub it between the palms, insert in pipe, light & smoke. Very enjoyable.

Then, in 1968, I gave up tobacco; "evil tobacco" propaganda convinced me I was on the verge of lung cancer and a hideous demise.

I guess it worked: Now I'm 76. At 76, I figure, "what the heck." Ordered a pouch of Borkum Riff. It's no longer(?) pressed into a moist cake, and no longer sliced.

Is this a "mis-recollection" on my part, or have they changed their format? The only other "exotic" tobacco I smoked in my pipe in those days was Balkan Sobranie(sp?). Might it have been that one that was pressed/sliced? Any enlightenment would be appreciated. Tks!

paulallen, greencastle, IN
This post by paulallen liked by (total 3):
Whalehead KingPreacher1611Maynard
Rusticated

Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:10 pm

paulallen wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:32 am
When I was a regular pipe smoker ('60s) I smoked Borkum Riff. I recall that it came in a moist, pressed cake in the pouch, THIN SLICED. The idea was to remove a slice, rub it between the palms, insert in pipe, light & smoke. Very enjoyable.

Then, in 1968, I gave up tobacco; "evil tobacco" propaganda convinced me I was on the verge of lung cancer and a hideous demise.

I guess it worked: Now I'm 76. At 76, I figure, "what the heck." Ordered a pouch of Borkum Riff. It's no longer(?) pressed into a moist cake, and no longer sliced.

Is this a "mis-recollection" on my part, or have they changed their format? The only other "exotic" tobacco I smoked in my pipe in those days was Balkan Sobranie(sp?). Might it have been that one that was pressed/sliced? Any enlightenment would be appreciated. Tks!

paulallen, greencastle, IN
Welcome back Paul! You're about 14yrs older than me but I traveled the same road. Gave it up in 1988 after smoking for 17 yrs. Tried a pipe for a while around 2010...stopped again, then just started up again at age 62. Unfortunately I can't give you any feed back on Borkum Riff in the 60's but I was smoking Balkan Sobranie in the early 70's and as I recall, it was a ribbon cut. That being the case, your recollection may very well be correct. Still have one of my old BS cig tins :D

This post by Rusticated liked by (total 2):
Preacher1611Maynard
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:56 pm

Don't give up @paulallen. We have a few geezers here who will eventually see this and chime in! :lol:
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:33 pm

Is there any chance you are remembering Troost Slices?
This post by Fr_Tom liked by (total 2):
Kevin KeithRusticated
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Preacher1611

Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:50 am

I've never smoked any Borkum Riff that wasn't produced in the '90's so I'm no help at all. But, welcome to the forum!
This post by Preacher1611 liked by:
Rusticated
paulallen

Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:25 pm

Thanks for the comments, folks. Don't believe Troost is a brand I would have tried. Maybe another old-timer will remember . . . -- p.
This post by paulallen liked by:
Rusticated
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:48 pm

It does seem that Borkum Riff made a flake at some point.

https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/25 ... ke-vanilla
This post by Fr_Tom liked by (total 3):
RusticatedMaynardPreacher1611
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017