Hello from Yorkshire!

houtenziel

Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:07 pm

oldbill wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:10 am
Dave wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:14 am
Hi, my name is Dave and I'm from Yorkshire in the UK. I'm a bit of an audiophile, a music lover and I'm rather fond of real ale and single malt scotch.
I've been toying with the idea of trying pipe smoking for a couple of years and finally decided to jump in. I did a bunch of research and picked up a corn cob, so now I'm ready to start sampling some blends. So far I've just tried Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader. I look forward to discussing more options as I try to find my way in the mysterious world of pipe tobacco. :thumbs:
You had me at music, ale, and whiskey and I can tell that we will be great friends! :lol:
WELCOME Sir!!! :D
Not just Ale.. REAL Ale. If it has been adulterated by forced carbon dioxide, it's just not the same. Beer should be dispensed with a beer engine, from cask, by a lovely bar lady with some serious arm strength.

Before you guys accuse me of being a muppet - http://www.camra.org.uk/about-real-ale
(sorry, I am a homebrewer, and I brew my own Real Ale :) )
Last edited by houtenziel on Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post by houtenziel liked by (total 2):
oldbillIslayphile
"Today is a good day for a good day." - KK
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:08 pm

Welcome to the forum
This post by Mr Beardsley liked by:
Islayphile
Not the brightest bulb in the fixture ;)
MikeDennison

Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:34 pm

Glad to have ya here!
This post by MikeDennison liked by:
Islayphile
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:21 pm

Glad you are here!
This post by Fr_Tom liked by:
Islayphile
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
oldbill

Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:55 pm

houtenziel wrote:
oldbill wrote:
Dave wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:14 am
Hi, my name is Dave and I'm from Yorkshire in the UK. I'm a bit of an audiophile, a music lover and I'm rather fond of real ale and single malt scotch.
I've been toying with the idea of trying pipe smoking for a couple of years and finally decided to jump in. I did a bunch of research and picked up a corn cob, so now I'm ready to start sampling some blends. So far I've just tried Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader. I look forward to discussing more options as I try to find my way in the mysterious world of pipe tobacco. :thumbs:
You had me at music, ale, and whiskey and I can tell that we will be great friends! :lol:
Not just Ale.. REAL Ale. If it has been adulterated by forced carbon dioxide, it's just not the same. Beer should be dispensed with a beer engine, from cask, by a lovely bar lady with some serious arm strength.

Before you guys accuse me of being a muppet - http://www.camra.org.uk/about-real-ale
About 31 years ago I got the opportunity to go to an English style pub in Houston called the "Red Lion" where the walls were decorated with portraits of the Queen and Winston Churchill, the cook was frying up fish and chips, the game was darts and the beer was on tap. That day I had a Bass Pale Ale that was from a keg that had been imported from England and was served only slightly chilled, I then followed that up with a "Black & Tan" which is Bass and Guinness poured with expert precision to get a nice separation in the colors of the ingredients,... to this day that was probably... no DEFINITELY was the best beer experience of my life. :D
This post by oldbill liked by (total 2):
houtenzielIslayphile
... and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
Mikeb717

Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:17 pm

Welcome Dave!
This post by Mikeb717 liked by:
Islayphile
As stubborn as a Missouri Mule
Thelonious monkfish

Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:54 pm

Welcome aboard
This post by Thelonious monkfish liked by:
Islayphile
Whalehead King
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:45 pm

What Tsal said. You'll be in good company here.....

Mostly. ;) ;) ;)
This post by Whalehead King liked by:
Islayphile
I run a small hotel in New Orleans. It's in Louisiana, in case you're thinking of another New Orleans I've never heard of.
Dave

Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:55 pm

Thank you all for the very warm welcome!
This post by Dave liked by (total 2):
Islayphileoldbill
Longshanks

Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:13 pm

oldbill wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:55 pm
houtenziel wrote:
oldbill wrote:

About 31 years ago I got the opportunity to go to an English style pub in Houston called the "Red Lion" where the walls were decorated with portraits of the Queen and Winston Churchill, the cook was frying up fish and chips, the game was darts and the beer was on tap. That day I had a Bass Pale Ale that was from a keg that had been imported from England and was served only slightly chilled, I then followed that up with a "Black & Tan" which is Bass and Guinness poured with expert precision to get a nice separation in the colors of the ingredients,... to this day that was probably... no DEFINITELY was the best beer experience of my life. :D
I'll +1 on the Black & Tan and I'll raise you one "Welcome aboard" to the Dave from Yorkshire. ;)
This post by Longshanks liked by:
oldbill
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?