Hello! Intro and question!

Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Welcome aboard. As for the Royal Yacht, Sutliff has a Match but it's apparently not accurate. Supposed to be a ribbon cut of good bright Virginia's but it won't taste the same.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

You could always make friends with someone in Germany, and have them ship you the Robert McConnell version. :)
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

Welcome! These days buying tobaccos reminds me of Clint Eastwood's line in The Outlaw Josey Wales... "once I get to likin' something it ain't around for very long" LOL! I too was fond of the Dunhill line, particularly Night Cap, Elizabethan, and MM 965 and when I learned that they were going away I decided to start making my own blends and it was a great decision to do so as I now like my blends as well or better than most of the blends I used to buy. I just started buying blending tobaccos that matched the components of my favorite blends and mixing them in different ratios until I got something similar and then kept tweaking the recipes until they were just right. :D
I usually buy my tobaccos from Pipes & Cigars, they have good prices and quality tobaccos. ;)
https://www.pipesandcigars.com/shop/ble ... s/1800508/
... and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Welcome to PSF. I've never smoked Royal Yacht but Charatan is releasing all the Dunhill blend replacements. Royal Escape Mixture is the one your looking for.
The Troll Whisperer
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

DuncanMcMannly wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:05 am Hello fellas! Im a 21 yo from michigan who's been an avid pipe smoker since i was 18, and a surprising amount of my friends do in fact smoke baccy pipes also. I am really not that interesting (though to be fair neither are they) but i did join this forum with 1 specific question in mind.

Last i checked (a while ago, granted) Dunhill went out of business and as far as i know has not been bought and put back in business again. That being said, i stocked up on their Royal Yacht mixture (the only thing i've smoked for the past 3 years after bouncing around for a year to see what i liked) however i am now down to my last tin (aside from 2 mason jars full of it im cellaring) my question is, is there any other pipe tobacco that has a similar flavor and strength? Preferably also virginia, since i do love cellaring baccy and from what i know virginia's are the best for that.
I did try Kentucky Bluegrass, which i think was by Cornell and Deihl, and while it was definitely enjoyable and very similar, it was a bit dry for me and the spice of it seemed to override the flavor a little (though i will probably at least use that to tide me over until i find something better). Any suggestions?
Thanks!
- D
Welcome aboard! :thumbs:

I've never had the pleasure of Royal Yacht, so I can't speak from personal experience. However, I've read that Peterson's Irish Oak is something a Royal Yacht fan might enjoy because of similarities in flavor and nic content. They're clearly two different tobacco and flavoring mixtures on paper, but it almost looks like they were shooting for the same flavor. For example, it was suggested that Royal Yacht has a natural hint of citrus and used additional flavoring to imitate Perique. Meanwhile Peterson's Irish Oak has Perique and adds citronella flavoring. I like Irish Oak, so it's worth a try regardless. Good luck finding your match!
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
Whistlebritches

Ruffinogold wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:39 pm
houtenziel wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:07 pm Welcome! Also no help.. never smoked it.
Its ike a cross between schizophrenia , Prunes and something brown .

Honestly , it's just a unique flavoring that i never " got " . It's one of those blends that we were talking about yesterday , as far as revisiting . I have a tin in the cellar for if I ever want to revisit it again but probably wont
Ditto...…..I too have a tin cellared,maybe age will bring on some qualities I can enjoy.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:03 pm Welcome to PSF. I've never smoked Royal Yacht but Charatan is releasing all the Dunhill blend replacements. Royal Escape Mixture is the one your looking for.
Those aren't coming to the states, UK only. At least that's what I'm told
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:36 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:03 pm Welcome to PSF. I've never smoked Royal Yacht but Charatan is releasing all the Dunhill blend replacements. Royal Escape Mixture is the one your looking for.
Those aren't coming to the states, UK only. At least that's what I'm told
Yes I know, but those are what's available. Having friends overseas helps.
The Troll Whisperer
Preacher1611
Member in Good Standing

Welcome to PSF! Can't help you with your question, never tried the stuff.