What Are You Smoking May 2019

Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 3:00 pm
houtenziel wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:54 pm Having some Houtencake with a little pinch of SWRA mixed in since there wasn't quite enough for a full bowl, in my Mr. Beardsley gifted Custombilt.

I went ahead and drilled the airway out in the stummel to 5/32 on this one, and had a major oops when I was attempting to funnel the tenon. Turns out that little stepped down bit on the end of the tenon was really brittle and it just sort of chipped off. So I got to spend a good half hour reshaping the end of the tenon and then funneling it. Turns out it was probably for the best that it chipped off, because the airflow seems to really have improved with it gone.
Old rubber, lots of heat/smoke, they dry out. Next time you have an old stem like that try working some oil into it, or stand it upright on the tenon in a little bit of oil for a while. Just a thought to reduce any future accidents but it seems to have worked out favorably for you this time.
Good tip.. It literally chipped off like acrylic, which sort of surprised me. I was turning the countersink very slowly by hand too. I will definitely be oiling the ends of tenons prior to doing any work from now on, as you suggest. Luckily it was just that little stepped down bit that some tenons have(why do they do that?), and the way it chipped off left it flush with the main part of the tenon face. I got lucky, and it wasn't too hard to fix.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
cigrmaster
Member in Good Standing

2012 Astleys no 44 Dark Flake in a Pre Transition Barling Billiard.
Harris
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Stepped down tenons, little chimneys, some have a reason, others might be like your appendix, maybe it served a function once but it's been so long nobody knows and now it's just sort of there. Could be for a stinger, ease of insertion, some random holdover technique from the early years, any number of gimmicks were introduced when pipe smoking had popularity in an attempt to gain customers. Tom knows about gimmick pipes.
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

cigrmaster wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 3:13 pm 2012 Astleys no 44 Dark Flake in a Pre Transition Barling Billiard.
Nice pipe! Great shape and wood grain. ;) :D
... and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 3:14 pm Stepped down tenons, little chimneys, some have a reason, others might be like your appendix, maybe it served a function once but it's been so long nobody knows and now it's just sort of there. Could be for a stinger, ease of insertion, some random holdover technique from the early years, any number of gimmicks were introduced when pipe smoking had popularity in an attempt to gain customers. Tom knows about gimmick pipes.
My only thought was that since this pipe was drilled high in the shank(to a point where the draft is partially drilled in the mortise ceiling), that the little stepped down tip was there to provide relief for the shoddy drill job. If the tenon was solid all the way up to that point, it probably would have partially blocked the airway.. Still doesn't explain why they just didn't use a shorter tenon though.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

houtenziel wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:54 pm Having some Houtencake with a little pinch of SWRA mixed in since there wasn't quite enough for a full bowl, in my Mr. Beardsley gifted Custombilt.

I went ahead and drilled the airway out in the stummel to 5/32 on this one, and had a major oops when I was attempting to funnel the tenon. Turns out that little stepped down bit on the end of the tenon was really brittle and it just sort of chipped off. So I got to spend a good half hour reshaping the end of the tenon and then funneling it. Turns out it was probably for the best that it chipped off, because the airflow seems to really have improved with it gone.
Hope she's smoking well for you. I have a lot of quirks (for lack of a better term) and just never smoked that one even though I loved the shape. One day I'll find another that won't make my brain rattle when I see the drilling :lol:
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Mr Beardsley wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 3:33 pm

Hope she's smoking well for you. I have a lot of quirks (for lack of a better term) and just never smoked that one even though I loved the shape. One day I'll find another that won't make my brain rattle when I see the drilling :lol:
So far so good. Prior to the mods though, it smoked pretty dang wet. And it doubles as a war club if I encounter any marauders.
― Theodore Roosevelt
Bamarick

SP Natural in the Medico Pot. Lesson learned today is that this tobacco should be smoked in a large bowl in order to be enjoyed. Last Tuesday I tried a bowl in my small No Name Meer and it wasn't fitting for a relight when it was needed. Today I smoked it down until it was all ash and, for me, the taste is spicy like a bowl of Cajun Gumbo. For a cheap(er) tobacco it's really good.
American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

houtenziel wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 3:38 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 3:33 pm

So far so good. Prior to the mods though, it smoked pretty dang wet. And it doubles as a war club if I encounter any marauders.
Marauders is highly under-used in today's world :lol:
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Enjoying an afternoon break with some Germain's brown flake in the tomato. Irish tea on the side