Second of The Day

Rusticated

Finished off the Brindle Flake earlier today and felt like having a little sweetness added to my midday. A bowl of Boswell's Raspberry Creme in a big LGJ pot while sipping a Bundaberg ginger beer...mmm, good!

Now the question I need help answering. I bought this pipe new online about 8-9 years ago. The letters stamped are LGJ (see picture) but I've not been able to find out anything about the maker. It's a handsome pipe that smokes great. Any of you know?

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Man , thats a fantastic looking pipe in all regards ! LGJ , huh ... isnt ringing a bell in my head . It sure isnt an LHS Purex ... lol . Seriously , that pipe is killer , man . Whoever made it has an eye for shaping and access to nice briar , which if I were to guess is Grecian ... it just looks like briar that Randy Wiley imports from Greece . A portion of that stuff ends up with other pipe makers . Anyway , thats one of the nicer pipes I've seen in a while . For me , free hands are a drag unless they are done with good proportions and that pipe is sooooo beautiful
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

[mention]Rusticated[/mention] , is the "LGJ" stamp the only stamping on it? It is a really nice pipe!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Rusticated

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:06 pm Man , thats a fantastic looking pipe in all regards ! LGJ , huh ... isnt ringing a bell in my head . It sure isnt an LHS Purex ... lol . Seriously , that pipe is killer , man . Whoever made it has an eye for shaping and access to nice briar , which if I were to guess is Grecian ... it just looks like briar that Randy Wiley imports from Greece . A portion of that stuff ends up with other pipe makers . Anyway , thats one of the nicer pipes I've seen in a while . For me , free hands are a drag unless they are done with good proportions and that pipe is sooooo beautiful
Thanks man, it's probably the best smoking pipe I have. I've looked all over the internet, searched every country in Pipedia and can't find a thing. Maybe a little known maker in whereverville?
Rusticated

Kevin Keith wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:14 pm @Rusticated , is the "LGJ" stamp the only stamping on it? It is a really nice pipe!
Thanks Kevin, yep, the only mark on it. Flawless, not a fill mark on it and beautiful grain. I wish I could track the maker down, I'd be all over trying to find another!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Next I talk to Randy Wiley , I'll ask him if he happens to sell to somebody that uses that stamp ... couldnt hurt to ask
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Rusticated

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:05 pm Next I talk to Randy Wiley , I'll ask him if he happens to sell to somebody that uses that stamp ... couldnt hurt to ask
Much appreciated!
Rusticated

FOUND IT! I went digging thru all my old pipe junk and found the sock it came in. To my surprise i found the box end down in the sock bottom!
L.J. Georges; so the maker placed his first and middle initial on either side of the G which represents his last name. No wonder it was confusing! I think I paid about $80 for it at the time on an eBay bid...guess I got a good deal!
Here's the lowdown from Pipedia:

L.J. Georges
From Pipes, Artisans and Trademarks, by José Manuel Lopes

L.J. Georges is the brand and name of French artisan Lucien Jassois Georges from Corsica. The origins of the brand go back to the 1920s, when his grandfather, Victor Georges founded the Riveriera Briar Pipe Company, which exported briar. The company was sold in 1975, but Lucian took the artisan's path as a profession, having first studied pipe making from the Dane Sven Knudsen.

Maynard

Rusticated wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:46 pm Finished off the Brindle Flake earlier today and felt like having a little sweetness added to my midday. A bowl of Boswell's Raspberry Creme in a big LGJ pot while sipping a Bundaberg ginger beer...mmm, good!

Now the question I need help answering. I bought this pipe new online about 8-9 years ago. The letters stamped are LGJ (see picture) but I've not been able to find out anything about the maker. It's a handsome pipe that smokes great. Any of you know?

That is a beautiful pipe.