What Are You Smoking January 2019

Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:30 pm
Thelonious monkfish wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:04 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:45 pm I just tossed a London Broil on the grill and I'm smoking Old Ted's clay chock full of Condor.
That looks really good, should finally get a clay but I'm too picky. Tried for a Peterson soo many times and am always outbid, it's not the 1700's so given the option I prefer a real stem to keep the skin on my lips and prevent grinding notches into my teeth.

Having Cannon Plug in a Viscount, no picture, this page is running real slow and not fully loading everything for some reason.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the one piece clays either.

I think they still sell just the clay bowls and you can have a stem put on, I've done that with a few others and they turned out great, I gave them away to forum friends and just have the Old Ted and one other. They burn really clean and dry.
I've smoked a couple different style clays, and I will say that after the first couple smokes on the one piece clays, they do get a lot more comfortable(no sticking). The glaze tipped ones don't have that problem at all.
One thing I will say, is they are the driest smoking pipe I've ever encountered. It's my personal opinion that they even outperform meerschaum by a significant margin, in dryness, and especially in being flavor neutral. I don't know if it's just me or what, but every Meer I've ever smoked adds a weird sulphur-ey sort of aroma, sort of like the way a spent shell casing smells. I've been meaning to buy one of those German made ebonite stemmed jobbies from Penn Valley Pipes for a while, but I keep getting distracted.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Tsal
Forum Decorum

houtenziel wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:41 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:30 pm
Thelonious monkfish wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:04 pm

That looks really good, should finally get a clay but I'm too picky. Tried for a Peterson soo many times and am always outbid, it's not the 1700's so given the option I prefer a real stem to keep the skin on my lips and prevent grinding notches into my teeth.

Having Cannon Plug in a Viscount, no picture, this page is running real slow and not fully loading everything for some reason.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the one piece clays either.

I think they still sell just the clay bowls and you can have a stem put on, I've done that with a few others and they turned out great, I gave them away to forum friends and just have the Old Ted and one other. They burn really clean and dry.
I've smoked a couple different style clays, and I will say that after the first couple smokes on the one piece clays, they do get a lot more comfortable(no sticking). The glaze tipped ones don't have that problem at all.
One thing I will say, is they are the driest smoking pipe I've ever encountered. It's my personal opinion that they even outperform meerschaum by a significant margin, in dryness, and especially in being flavor neutral. I don't know if it's just me or what, but every Meer I've ever smoked adds a weird sulphur-ey sort of aroma, sort of like the way a spent shell casing smells. I've been meaning to buy one of those German made ebonite stemmed jobbies from Penn Valley Pipes for a while, but I keep getting distracted.
I've never heard of Penn Valley but I'd get another clay without thinking twice.
The only meer that I have now is the resin block that Father Tom gave me and that thing smokes fantastic!
The Troll Whisperer
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:57 pm
I've never heard of Penn Valley but I'd get another clay without thinking twice.
The only meer that I have now is the resin block that Father Tom gave me and that thing smokes fantastic!
It was well broken in!
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Late posting Picayune in a Weber apple/pot

Old Ted Award - 2017
simplepipes
Codger in Training

Virginia Scraps w / Three Sails Topper . . . Modified MM Mark Twain . . . Diet Soda.

This batch tastes pretty good consisting of all of the ends of jars and tins that needed cleaned up.

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Double Down in a Falcon

Old Ted Award - 2017
Bamarick

Sugarlands Honey in the Elba Pot.
American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Fr_Tom wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:15 pm
It was well broken in!
I'll say..! The chamber was like a chocolate muffin, not that that's a bad thing. Grousemoor really speaks to me in that pipe.
The Troll Whisperer
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:51 pm
Fr_Tom wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:15 pm
It was well broken in!
I'll say..! The chamber was like a chocolate muffin, not that that's a bad thing. Grousemoor really speaks to me in that pipe.
Picayune in that pipe was what got me going on Picayune. It was an outrageously good combo for me.

Old Ted Award - 2017
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Picayune in a Medico pot

Old Ted Award - 2017