What Are You Smoking March 2019

Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Mrm1775 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:48 pm
Kevin Keith wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:44 pm
Johnny wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:36 pm

What do you do? Melt the wax and dunk it in?
It really is just that simple! Cork the chamber, melt the beeswax and submerge it to the stem. I swirl it around in the melted beeswax and then shake off the excess, and wipe/polish the pipe with a soft cloth. Easy!
How soon do you do that to a new pipe and then how often??
Think it's all preference, I haven't waxed mine and have no plans to, they seem fine still. If one ever needs waxed, inasmuch as the finish dulls indicating loss of wax, I will. To me regular waxing is more a cosmetic thing. I have enough to be ocd about, I leave them alone so long as they keep their shine.
Johnny
Member in Good Standing

More Haunted Bookshop in this Grabow

Mrm1775

Mailman finally arrived, I took the rob roy and popped in a vulcanite stem and loaded up. Pretty tasty so far.
Mrm1775

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:07 pm
Mrm1775 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:48 pm
Kevin Keith wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:44 pm
It really is just that simple! Cork the chamber, melt the beeswax and submerge it to the stem. I swirl it around in the melted beeswax and then shake off the excess, and wipe/polish the pipe with a soft cloth. Easy!
How soon do you do that to a new pipe and then how often??
Think it's all preference, I haven't waxed mine and have no plans to, they seem fine still. If one ever needs waxed, inasmuch as the finish dulls indicating loss of wax, I will. To me regular waxing is more a cosmetic thing. I have enough to be ocd about, I leave them alone so long as they keep their shine.
:thumbs:
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Lane White Burley in the Viking acorn. After a week of Virginias, this Burley is soooo good. God really does love Burley smokers more. :D
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

houtenziel wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:27 pm Lane White Burley in the Viking acorn. After a week of Virginias, this Burley is soooo good. God really does love Burley smokers more. :D
Good to hear you say that, sent a couple things you might enjoy.

SWRA in a Barling, temp is dropping fast. 17 last week, almost 70 yesterday, back into the high 30's now and looking like 20's might be near. Lots of wind and rain from the storms, some new lakes with makeshit bridges donated by nearby trees.

MikeDennison
Certified Codger

MikeDennison wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:56 pm So, I was wondering why that pot had such an easy draw...I mean, wide open like trying to pull smoke through a barn door or something. Turns out it was a 9mm filter jobbie what I was trying to smoke sans filter. Now I've got this Yorkshire Canadian loaded up with Macanudo, and it's working just right. :D
Same pipe, but after two bowls of Macanudo, I've loaded it up with some of the SPRT sample that @Fr_Tom sent me. Ice cold grape Nehi on the side. This is a fantastic combination 👌! (I was gonna say it was a "grape" combination, but decided it was too clumsy a pun.) :?
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I just finished giving 4 or 5 constantly smoked briars a good scrubbing with a few more to do before the end of the month. One more positive thing about committing to the meer all month is that I'll have a bunch of squeaky clean briars going into April :lol:
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Big-n-Burley in an Altinok POY

"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Islayphile
Member in Good Standing

DBE in a bent MM Twain...cuppa Ty-phoo Extra Strong on the side