What Are You Smoking April 2019

Islayphile
Member in Good Standing

Mrm1775 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:56 pm
MikeDennison wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:22 pm Image

I'm burning Chatham Manor in this MM Patriot. Haven't smoked any of this in quite a while. Enjoying it! :D
That’s all I needed, to see a corncob I like and don’t have. I know what’s in my next order!
They come bent too :D

9 Iron
Founding Member

Peretti’s Thanksgiving Day in a Deluxe System 1s.

MikeDennison
Certified Codger

houtenziel wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:26 pm
MikeDennison wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:20 pm
houtenziel wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:01 pm Lane RR in the Roma apple which just had the stem hand polished.. I've had a buffing setup for a few months now, and I've been playing with it to see how the results compare to my hand polishing that I do on stems with Flitz/Paragon. I have two pipes I am comparing, the Roma(hand polish/wax) and the Three Star(buffer polished/carnauba waxed). I've noticed two things that have lead me to feel that hand polish on stems is superior - 1. Carnuaba wax makes vulcanite stems feel like hard acrylic. Paragon is light enough that it still offers protection, but doesn't make the stem feel hard. 2. White Diamond is still abrasive enough that it will leave visible scratches, whereas my hand sand/flitz combo leaves them looking like glass.
As a aside, and I am a little baffled by this, but carnauba seems to lose it's sheen after only about 5 smokes, whereas Paragon holds up for 20 or more before it needs a re-polish. I am debating throwing in a third stem that has been stripped of wax and treated with mineral oil only to see how that holds up.
:lurk: ...waitin' to hear how this works
I am fixin' to start experimenting with shellac on pipes too. I know Thelonious Monkfish uses it sometimes, and have been meaning to give it a go, especially on blasts/rusticated pipes. It's a heck of a lot easier than the whole tripoli-->white diamond-->carnauba song and dance.. and less of a chance of ricochet. :lol:
Yer a machine, Hout!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

I'm burning Chatham Manor in this MM Patriot. Haven't smoked any of this in quite a while. Enjoying it! :D
That’s all I needed, to see a corncob I like and don’t have. I know what’s in my next order!
Great little smoker!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Mrm1775

[/quote]

They come bent too :D

[/quote]
I like the way a bent looks, but I would MUCH rather smoke a straight.
Mrm1775

MikeDennison wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:15 pm
Great little smoker!
just got the Great Dane about a week ago, love it
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

PS Amsterdam in the Perkins Fantasy

"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
colorduke

Carter Hall in a cob.
Mrm1775

This guy here loaded with SPRT thanks to a sample from Thelonious monkfish. I have been wanting to try this, thanks TM. Not a bad smoke at all, as a matter of fact I’m kinda enjoying this mindless but good smoke.
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

Been out of pocket for a few. I took a sudden drive to South Dakota after hearing my dad had been in a bad collision with a semi. The front end of his '98 Chevy pickup was pushed to the dash. Fortunately the airbags and seat belt did their jobs. After all was said and done he cracked C1 and C6 in his neck, had some internal bleeding they were able to stop, and received a few stitches in his eyebrow line where his glasses cut. His truck was totaled, so a neck brace, a few stitches and a bruised pride are all he's taking away from the accident. God was merciful and let him walk away from it alive at 68 years old, and we're all very thankful.

Being the man's man that he is, my dad said he dreamed about being at his workbench at home the first couple of nights, waking up with his hands reaching for an invisible project pistol he'd been working on. He got tired of sitting in the bed by the third day, so he got up and walked around with a physical therapist and a walker. I told him I cleaned out his truck, and the first thing he asked was if I had found his pipe. LOL I had not, so I took a second trip to the truck and discovered it safely stowed under his dash carpet cover. It's an old Brewster half bent with peeled lacquer, a couple pits, a cracked shank he repaired with a brass rifle shell casing, and a stem full of oxidation reminiscent of @Fr_Tom's pipes. When I asked if he wanted me to clean it up, he paused for a moment, and then he conceded since he would be stuck in the hospital for at least a few more days.

Image Image
Last edited by Longshanks on Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?