Price is what you pay

Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I have a few "nice" pipes. There are only a few I have spent much money on, and the honest truth is that I could be happy with a few estate Grabow pots and a couple of bored-out cobs with "forever" stems. I do have a fondness for GBD pots, but the average investment in my GBDs is about $25, so in terms of price, they were in the range of the cob with a "forever" stem.

I have considered sending a few of the fancy ones to someone like [mention]Thelonious monkfish[/mention] to be cleaned up and then sending them to Smoking pipes for store credit on tobacco.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
sisyphus
Person of Interest

If someone has $1000 bucks to spend on a pipe and they smoke it, more power to them. I think the most I ever spent on a pipe was about $550, and I have an estate Loewe Centurion I paid $15 for that smokes as well as any pipe I've ever smoked. I think the only thing that matters is you should buy pipes you like and smoke them,. The cost you can afford is different for all of us, and more money doesn't universally mean better smoker.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Tsal
Forum Decorum

If your smoking 500+ dollar pipes I hope your wealthy not scrounging for change between your car seats to buy a burger at McDonald's.
The Troll Whisperer
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Have yet to spend over $40 on a pipe but have gotten very lucky with auctions and trade credit, not to mention extremely generous folks. All that together has afforded me some pieces I greatly enjoy but would otherwise be out of my range. Of course most of mine came used, well used, and required some cleaning/work/repairs to settle my OCD. If I could drop $1000 on a pipe I would, just not any damn pipe and no hype can sway my tastes, there's a Meerschaum Butz Origine waiting for me the day money is not of concern, can't say if that day'll ever come.
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Fr_Tom wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:20 am I have a few "nice" pipes. There are only a few I have spent much money on, and the honest truth is that I could be happy with a few estate Grabow pots and a couple of bored-out cobs with "forever" stems. I do have a fondness for GBD pots, but the average investment in my GBDs is about $25, so in terms of price, they were in the range of the cob with a "forever" stem.

I have considered sending a few of the fancy ones to someone like (deleted) to be cleaned up and then sending them to Smoking pipes for store credit on tobacco.
Who knows, maybe I like one or two of them and try to trade you. Have a few things here that are available and might pique your interest.

Had to edit your post, Tom, I'm not allowed to "mention"?
sisyphus
Person of Interest

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:14 pm
what are you using? iOS doesn't support our mention, but it should work on anything else. Let me know.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

sisyphus wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:29 pm
what are you using? iOS doesn't support our mention, but it should work on anything else. Let me know.
Doesn't work for me on Android either. At least it didn't the last time I tried a week or so ago
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

sisyphus wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:29 pm
I have tested in both Windows and Linux, Firefox, Chrome, Edge.. I can't use the mention code at all. I get this message when I try to use it, or when I quote one of the Mods(who I think have special permissions on the forum to use those tags).
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Fr_Tom wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:20 am I have a few "nice" pipes. There are only a few I have spent much money on, and the honest truth is that I could be happy with a few estate Grabow pots and a couple of bored-out cobs with "forever" stems. I do have a fondness for GBD pots, but the average investment in my GBDs is about $25, so in terms of price, they were in the range of the cob with a "forever" stem.

I have considered sending a few of the fancy ones to someone like (deleted) to be cleaned up and then sending them to Smoking pipes for store credit on tobacco.
Who knows, maybe I like one or two of them and try to trade you. Have a few things here that are available and might pique your interest.

Dunno... I am not the big expert on the forum software. My post probably needed editing anyway.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I can't mention either. I also can't quote a post with a mention in it either then reply.
The Troll Whisperer