Price is what you pay

Whalehead King

As a small business owner myself who will compete an every aspect of what we offer except for the price we charge, I always say, along with Warren Buffett, The Sage of Omaha, "Price is what you pay. Value is what you get."

I just got an email from a pipe website. Don't ask me which one, I just switched off it to come to PSF. Maybe it was Pipes and Cigars, maybe it was Smoking Pipes, maybe it was something else. I scrolled through the new pipes on offer. "New Arrivals."

I have more than enough pipes for me to trash them and burn holes in their bowls to last me the rest of my foreseeable life. Like many people, I'm always tempted by a new pipe. Some unique take on a shape, a twist on a stem, a curvaceous profile, a big bowl, a different finish----you know how it goes. Something will catch my eye and I wanna have that pipe. It doesn't happen often anymore. As I say, I have enough pipes to satisfy my needs and I like the pipes I have. They are all good companions. Whatever gets you through the night is alright.

Some of the new pipes tempted me. Like Oscar Wilde I can resist anything but temptation. Happily, I am rarely tempted to stray from my charted course, but sometimes some new bauble will captivate me and set me to daydreaming. I'm a big believer in daydreams. Then the price will catch me up short. I don't want to spend $1000 for a new pipe, no matter how beautiful it is. I don't want to spend $600.

Price is what you pay; value is what you get. I have no doubt that these pipes are thousand dollars smokers. I don't quibble about the price. I am very price-insensitive. I don't have $1000 to toss away but I will cut back on other expenses if I want something that costs $1000, or $600, or $100, for that matter. PB&J for a week in exchange for a new pipe.

I'm content with my collection, though. The world is full of options, not just the pipe smoking world. You make your choices and you live with them. A cob is a fine pipe. It's not my favorite, but, for ten bucks it delivers a more than satisfactory smoke.

This isn't an essay that is going anywhere. (SURPRISE!!) I just caught myself thinking about buying a super-expensive pipe and then I looked at my collection and realized that I don't need a new pipe. I don't need a new bauble. I am content with the pipes I have. They treat me well. I love them.

The moral of this story: Love the pipe you're with.
avid

i have some pipes i don't like
insufferable filter guy
Tsal
Forum Decorum

High "priced" artisan pipes are for people who really don't smoke, more of a look what I have kinda deal.
The Troll Whisperer
avid

i would hate to pay the big bucks only to find out a pipe smokes poorly
insufferable filter guy
Tsal
Forum Decorum

avid wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:59 pm i would hate to pay the big bucks only to find out a pipe smokes poorly
I learned the hard way. Never again.
The Troll Whisperer
9 Iron
Founding Member

avid wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:59 pm i would hate to pay the big bucks only to find out a pipe smokes poorly
Been there, done that.
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

Whalehead King wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:44 pm As a small business owner myself who will compete an every aspect of what we offer except for the price we charge, I always say, along with Warren Buffett, The Sage of Omaha, "Price is what you pay. Value is what you get."

I just got an email from a pipe website. Don't ask me which one, I just switched off it to come to PSF. Maybe it was Pipes and Cigars, maybe it was Smoking Pipes, maybe it was something else. I scrolled through the new pipes on offer. "New Arrivals."

I have more than enough pipes for me to trash them and burn holes in their bowls to last me the rest of my foreseeable life. Like many people, I'm always tempted by a new pipe. Some unique take on a shape, a twist on a stem, a curvaceous profile, a big bowl, a different finish----you know how it goes. Something will catch my eye and I wanna have that pipe. It doesn't happen often anymore. As I say, I have enough pipes to satisfy my needs and I like the pipes I have. They are all good companions. Whatever gets you through the night is alright.

Some of the new pipes tempted me. Like Oscar Wilde I can resist anything but temptation. Happily, I am rarely tempted to stray from my charted course, but sometimes some new bauble will captivate me and set me to daydreaming. I'm a big believer in daydreams. Then the price will catch me up short. I don't want to spend $1000 for a new pipe, no matter how beautiful it is. I don't want to spend $600.

Price is what you pay; value is what you get. I have no doubt that these pipes are thousand dollars smokers. I don't quibble about the price. I am very price-insensitive. I don't have $1000 to toss away but I will cut back on other expenses if I want something that costs $1000, or $600, or $100, for that matter. PB&J for a week in exchange for a new pipe.

I'm content with my collection, though. The world is full of options, not just the pipe smoking world. You make your choices and you live with them. A cob is a fine pipe. It's not my favorite, but, for ten bucks it delivers a more than satisfactory smoke.

This isn't an essay that is going anywhere. (SURPRISE!!) I just caught myself thinking about buying a super-expensive pipe and then I looked at my collection and realized that I don't need a new pipe. I don't need a new bauble. I am content with the pipes I have. They treat me well. I love them.

Isn't this a bannable post? 8-)
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
Middle Earth

Lately I gave been in the $70 estate zone and new pipe zone
Really liking the pipes even compared to expensive artisan pipes
Just sold off some firearms that I had absolutely no need for
Made sense at the time, but rust is an ever ever present threat and I do not care to maintain the guns which sit around and don't get shot
Next up, some pipes and tobacco that are taking up space and gathering dust
Off you go
The most I ever bid on a pipe was an Eltang with and incredible contrast cross grain aka
Bird's - Eye
As beautiful as any pipe I have ever seen, even to this day
Bidding was spirited. I dropped out after $2,100 thinking I could get a Freedom Arms 97 for this money, and so I did just that
But that Freedom Arms 97 is mostly sitting around looking real good
I mostly reach for the Ruger Blackhawks
To each their own
avid

Longshanks wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:29 pm
Whalehead King wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:44 pm As a small business owner myself who will compete an every aspect of what we offer except for the price we charge, I always say, along with Warren Buffett, The Sage of Omaha, "Price is what you pay. Value is what you get."

would think...LOL
insufferable filter guy
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Longshanks wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:29 pm

It is at one forum I know of. heh heh
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!