Meerschaum

Bruyere_Royale
Founding Member

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:49 pm

houtenziel wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:45 am
Bruyere_Royale wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:21 am

Don't believe everything you read, I've smoked my Meers plenty of times in the dead of winter without any cracking. You would have to leave it buried in the snow until it's frozen solid and then maybe use a torch lighter to over heat the bowl which I doubt this is the typical scenario for having a smoke outside.

I could just as easily say, "don't believe every anecdote you read". I just wanted to give the OP all the information I had, including my own experiences with the 6 meers I've had. Also just want to say that I tend to respect the word of a guy(Fred Bass, RIP) who's meerschaum collection was in the 100's and spent a lot of time contributing his knowledge and experience to the community.
I could never get my backside to talk, I don't know how people do it. Lol
Could have fooled me!
Have I struck the sensitive chord, my apologies. I know from my experience that meers don't crack like yours did so we'll have to agree to disagree. Never heard of Fred Bass, I'm sure he was a goodfella.
Tsal... 🎳 A Zesty flavorful adventure in pipe smoking...
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:40 pm

I have had meers crack, but it has never been from smoking outside. I have gone with pipe in mouth from the house to shovel snow, and perhaps I have just been lucky.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Bro Uhaha

Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:21 pm

You know a pipe is loved if people squabble over it.
This post by Bro Uhaha liked by:
Ronv69