Meerschaum

Bruyere_Royale
Founding Member

Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:29 am

houtenziel wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:32 am
Wilderness Pipe wrote: ↑
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:12 pm
"if you live in a climate where you see temps drop below freezing and you tend to like to smoke outside.. don't do it with a meer as they are highly susceptible to cracking due to heat shock. That's about all I can think of at the moment."

Well I guess no smoking outdoors 6 to 7 months out of the year. Does that go for storage as well? What I mean is that could a meerschaum under no circumstances handle extrem cold?
It's a lot like pouring boiling hot water into a very cold glass.
No it's not.
This post by Bruyere_Royale liked by:
Maynard
Tsal... 🎳 A Zesty flavorful adventure in pipe smoking...
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:00 am

Everyone needs a meer . The thing to do with them is wipe the bowl clean after it cools each bowl . Granted , i dont do it but I should . A meer needs no cake and keeping it clean will help it from ghosting ... unless you smoke Lakelands, lol , cause it will ghost a meer In a flash
Dont drop them , also .
I think they smoke wonderful . There are duds out there but if a meer smokes well , it really smokes killer
Like a briar , they darken , and when they start to youll see neat colors at the begining ... like reds or pinks , lightbbrowns etc ,.. eventually it will turn super dark but you have to earn that
This post by Ruffinogold liked by (total 2):
Bruyere_RoyaleMaynard
" Ya don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows "
houtenziel

Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:30 am

Bruyere_Royale wrote: ↑
Wilderness Pipe wrote: ↑
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:12 pm
"if you live in a climate where you see temps drop below freezing and you tend to like to smoke outside.. don't do it with a meer as they are highly susceptible to cracking due to heat shock. That's about all I can think of at the moment."

Well I guess no smoking outdoors 6 to 7 months out of the year. Does that go for storage as well? What I mean is that could a meerschaum under no circumstances handle extrem cold?
No it's not.
Uh, yes it absolutely is. Meerschaum is very heat conductive and the outer part can cool quickly with ambient air. When you light a pipe you are creating temperatures that can exceed boiling point(especially if you consider the match/lighter you are using can burn in excess of 1400F). For the same reason you shouldn't set a hot meer onto a cold surface.

Just so you know I am not talking out my backside-

Fred Bass, arguably one of the best sources of info on Meerschaums in general, writes this:
Avoid handling a warm pipe with the ungloved hand
Be careful when laying down a warm pipe so as not to leave a spot
Do not smoke the meerschaum in the cold or draft
Smoke the bowl down "…to the bottom in order to give them a uniform heat, as, if this is not done, the wax will not withdraw uniformly, and therefore cause an uneven color."
Never cover or envelope the pipe in a swaddle of chamois as was once so popular: the pipes cannot evaporate and the "dress" can stick causing a muddy brownish color
Wipe clean your meerschaum with either silk or chamois, anything else
The cake in the bowl aids in coloring and should be left alone. Ream out will scratch- no cotton. carefully if it gets too thick *
The last bullet point is what I found interesting. The modern-day guidance with regards to meerschaum pipes is that cake is neither needed or good, so since I began smoking meers I have never allowed a cake to form in these pipes. What got me curious about this belief is a recent old meer that was g
And from Pipedia:
Meerschaum experts often warn about extremes in temperature, and caution against taking a hot pipe into cold weather or putting it down on a cold surface. The best manner to rest a hot meerschaum in any case is with a pipe holder that holds the pipe by the stem, and not the bowl. For a cold meerschaum, the pipe should be returned to its case, but only after it is fully cool and dry.
This post by houtenziel liked by:
Maynard
"Today is a good day for a good day." - KK
Surlywill

Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:43 am

Great infoπŸ‘I too have been looking at meerschaums, all the info is helpful. Thanks guys.
This post by Surlywill liked by (total 2):
Ronv69Bruyere_Royale
β€œ If A is a success in life, then A=X+Y+Z. Work is X; Y is play; and Z is keeping your mouth shut.”
- Albert Einstein
Ronv69
Founding Member

Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:09 am

Meershaum is like a structural foam. It's brittle if dropped, but I don't think that temperature changes are going to hurt it.
This post by Ronv69 liked by:
Bruyere_Royale
Bruyere_Royale
Founding Member

Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:21 am

Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:30 am

No it's not.
Uh, yes it absolutely is. Meerschaum is very heat conductive and the outer part can cool quickly with ambient air. When you light a pipe you are creating temperatures that can exceed boiling point(especially if you consider the match/lighter you are using can burn in excess of 1400F). For the same reason you shouldn't set a hot meer onto a cold surface.

Just so you know I am not talking out my backside-

Fred Bass, arguably one of the best sources of info on Meerschaums in general, writes this:
Avoid handling a warm pipe with the ungloved hand
Be careful when laying down a warm pipe so as not to leave a spot
Do not smoke the meerschaum in the cold or draft
Smoke the bowl down "…to the bottom in order to give them a uniform heat, as, if this is not done, the wax will not withdraw uniformly, and therefore cause an uneven color."
Never cover or envelope the pipe in a swaddle of chamois as was once so popular: the pipes cannot evaporate and the "dress" can stick causing a muddy brownish color
Wipe clean your meerschaum with either silk or chamois, anything else
The cake in the bowl aids in coloring and should be left alone. Ream out will scratch- no cotton. carefully if it gets too thick *
The last bullet point is what I found interesting. The modern-day guidance with regards to meerschaum pipes is that cake is neither needed or good, so since I began smoking meers I have never allowed a cake to form in these pipes. What got me curious about this belief is a recent old meer that was g
And from Pipedia:
Meerschaum experts often warn about extremes in temperature, and caution against taking a hot pipe into cold weather or putting it down on a cold surface. The best manner to rest a hot meerschaum in any case is with a pipe holder that holds the pipe by the stem, and not the bowl. For a cold meerschaum, the pipe should be returned to its case, but only after it is fully cool and dry.
Don't believe everything you read, I've smoked my Meers plenty of times in the dead of winter without any cracking. You would have to leave it buried in the snow until it's frozen solid and then maybe use a torch lighter to over heat the bowl which I doubt this is the typical scenario for having a smoke outside.

I could never get my backside to talk, I don't know how people do it. Lol
This post by Bruyere_Royale liked by (total 2):
MaynardRonv69
Bruyere_Royale
Founding Member

Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:26 am

What is a "Meerschaum Expert"? :lol:
MaynardRonv69
Bruyere_Royale
Founding Member

Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:28 am

Ronv69 wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:09 am
Meershaum is like a structural foam. It's brittle if dropped, but I don't think that temperature changes are going to hurt it.
Don't tell anyone but I use everclear to clean the shank and chamber in my meer.
MaynardRonv69
houtenziel

Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:45 am

Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:21 am

Don't believe everything you read, I've smoked my Meers plenty of times in the dead of winter without any cracking. You would have to leave it buried in the snow until it's frozen solid and then maybe use a torch lighter to over heat the bowl which I doubt this is the typical scenario for having a smoke outside.

I could just as easily say, "don't believe every anecdote you read". I just wanted to give the OP all the information I had, including my own experiences with the 6 meers I've had. Also just want to say that I tend to respect the word of a guy(Fred Bass, RIP) who's meerschaum collection was in the 100's and spent a lot of time contributing his knowledge and experience to the community.
I could never get my backside to talk, I don't know how people do it. Lol
Could have fooled me!
"Today is a good day for a good day." - KK
Ronv69
Founding Member

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:17 pm

I have a Meer from the Fred Bass estate. I will have to treat it more gently than my other meers.
This post by Ronv69 liked by:
Bruyere_Royale