Checkers !!

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

You guys know I dig these pipes . I generally hate hokey carving but the checker is so , I dont know ... awesome :D

Anyway , wvsmokeshop.com has them in stock again , ifin you were wanting one . They are a great " work pipe " for me and just all around good

https://wvsmokeshop.com/checker.aspx
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Holy shit .. pipes D and K are a panel . Dont think ive ever seen a panel checker before
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Those are cool!
The Troll Whisperer
Ronv69
Founding Member

Those are pretty neat. Maybe I can find room for one more.
God and Texas!
Silver
Certified Codger

Ronv69 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:26 pm Those are pretty neat. Maybe I can find room for one more.
Always room for one (or five) more!
ncrobb
Founding Member

I dunno. First thing that came to mind was a mullet hair cut. Remember “business in the front, party in the back” or something like that. I guess I can’t say much. I have made knives with polished bevels and satin flats so pay no attention to my comment.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Ronv69
Founding Member

ncrobb wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:57 am I dunno. First thing that came to mind was a mullet hair cut. Remember “business in the front, party in the back” or something like that. I guess I can’t say much. I have made knives with polished bevels and satin flats so pay no attention to my comment.
How much do you get for a mullet pipe? 😜🤠
God and Texas!
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Nah. Definitely not for me.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

The checker finish is my least favorite finish, along with that one that they used to paint---what was that called? It was some kind of electric kool-aid hippie flower power OT. pipe. I forget what they were called but it was one of the big three that marketed these painted pipes for awhile. It was like those steampunk pipes on Ebay.

I understand why a pipe may be rusticated. I don't understand why a pipe needs to be rusticated in sections----the same sections as every other pipe in the line. It speaks to me more of laziness than craftsmanship.

YMMV. I think the checker pipe looks stupid and I hate mine----No! Wait! I love my checker pipe because it's the one that has the cracked stem and I keep it together with a zip-tie. I love my zip-tie pipe. I'm holding it right now. I love it. It's a Yello-Bole and it's the zip-tie around the cracked stem that I like. The bowl does nothing for me, especially since, looking at it now, the smooth parts of the finish are full of fills. The whole thing should have been rusticated. I must have bought this because I read about the virtues of the checker finish somewhere on PSF. I wonder who could have put that thought in my head?

I'm going to smoke my Yello-Bole checker after this. Now that I've plucked it off the rack, I realize that it really is feather-light. I has a scoop stinger, too!! I still think it's a gimmick pipe, but, it is the kind of pipe I could buy at a newsstand in 1952. There is something to be said for something that is around a long time.

Smoke 'em if you've got 'em.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I like this big ol' apple
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!