New Dr. Grabow Collection

Thelonious monkfish

simplepipes wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:10 pm
Thelonious monkfish wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:59 pm
simplepipes wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:03 pm Use Medico filters if you can find them . . . I find the Dr. Grabow filters far too restrictive.

-sp
But do continue to buy Dr. Grabow filters, their sale is what keeps the lights on at Sparta. Dead serious.
They need to do a little QC . . . perhaps I need to reach out to them and let them know. In all fairness I have only purchased two boxes and both are the same.

-sp
I've heard similar of their restricted flow, have known people to run a pipe cleaned through them first to open up air flow. Reaching out couldn't hurt, more people buying their product that keeps the place running is always good. There's a reason all their pipes accept filters, pipes are just to sell the filters at this point.
This post by Thelonious monkfish liked by (total 2):
Piping AbeKevin Keith
Thelonious monkfish

Piping Abe wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:13 pm
Thelonious monkfish wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:57 pm That's a sweet score, those are likely from the early 80s. Another vote to smoke 'em, those stems are all ABS plastic, if you chew it up the factory will replace for cheap. Hell, if they have any old vulcanite stock that fits they'll put that on if you ask. The panelled Duke is nice, must have had some amazing grain if they sliced that much off before rusticating. Bet it smokes flawlessly.
If someone were to send in a adjustomatic, stinger or blue/yellow/white what have you spade, would they replace it as well if needed? Always wondered that.
It's amazing what all is still in that factory, even after several years of tours picking through boxes and the coveted back room. Email Debbie, they might be able to accommodate. They can still replace ajustomatic and some vulcanite, depends on stock.
This post by Thelonious monkfish liked by (total 3):
Piping AbeRonv69Kevin Keith
simplepipes

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:16 pm
Thelonious monkfish wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:59 pm

But do continue to buy Dr. Grabow filters, their sale is what keeps the lights on at Sparta. Dead serious.
They need to do a little QC . . . perhaps I need to reach out to them and let them know. In all fairness I have only purchased two boxes and both are the same.

-sp
I've heard similar of their restricted flow, have known people to run a pipe cleaned through them first to open up air flow. Reaching out couldn't hurt, more people buying their product that keeps the place running is always good. There's a reason all their pipes accept filters, pipes are just to sell the filters at this point.
I run a bristled cleaner through them while smoking to keep them open.

Totally agree with your comment regarding pipe sales . . . a means to sell filters.

Always appreciate your insights . . .

-sp
This post by simplepipes liked by (total 4):
Thelonious monkfishPiping AbeRonv69Kevin Keith
Thelonious monkfish

simplepipes wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:21 pm
Thelonious monkfish wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:16 pm

-sp
I run a bristled cleaner through them while smoking to keep them open.

Totally agree with your comment regarding pipe sales . . . a means to sell filters.

Always appreciate your insights . . .

-sp
Thanks, I only know what I have gleamed from Tom and that's hardly a fraction of his insight into production spanning decades of firsthand experience at every level. There was talk of working on book but it never materialized in time.
This post by Thelonious monkfish liked by (total 4):
simplepipesPiping AbeRonv69Kevin Keith
Puff nstuff

Piping Abe wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:11 pm
Wildcrow wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:35 pm By the looks of those filters, someone has already gotten use out of those pipes. Id smoke em
When I first saw it, I thought the same. But the “pre-smoked” makes me think they were presmoked by a machine that was in their old ads.
I'm wondering if maybe they were sent out of the factory loaded with those filters and they picked up some stain from the stummels over the years.
#6, though, does look like it's already seen some action; the bit looks like it's been chomped on a little.
This post by Puff nstuff liked by (total 3):
Ronv69Piping AbeCitizen B
simplepipes

Puff nstuff wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:32 pm
Wildcrow wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:35 pm By the looks of those filters, someone has already gotten use out of those pipes. Id smoke em
When I first saw it, I thought the same. But the “pre-smoked” makes me think they were presmoked by a machine that was in their old ads.
I'm wondering if maybe they were sent out of the factory loaded with those filters and they picked up some stain from the stummels over the years.
#6, though, does look like it's already seen some action; the bit looks like it's been chomped on a little.
Those all appear to be NOS . . . filters were in the pipes when pre-smoked. The sixth appears to have price sticker residue.

Great instant collection of Grabows . . .

-sp
This post by simplepipes liked by (total 2):
Piping AbeThelonious monkfish
Piping Abe

Yes, it is old sticker residue. I plan to clean up the stems with some goo-gone. I’m really leaning towards smoking them. These pipes are more beautiful in person. I think the enjoyment i’ll get from smoking will outlast any monetary value.
This post by Piping Abe liked by (total 3):
Thelonious monkfishCitizen Bsimplepipes
Thelonious monkfish

Piping Abe wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:46 pm Yes, it is old sticker residue. I plan to clean up the stems with some goo-gone. I’m really leaning towards smoking them. These pipes are more beautiful in person. I think the enjoyment i’ll get from smoking will outlast any monetary value.
ABS plastic stems, you can just wash it with soap and water, probably just use a qtip dipped in alcohol to remove the residue though.
This post by Thelonious monkfish liked by (total 2):
Piping Abesimplepipes
Puff nstuff

simplepipes wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:35 pm
Puff nstuff wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:32 pm

Those all appear to be NOS . . . filters were in the pipes when pre-smoked. The sixth appears to have price sticker residue.

Great instant collection of Grabows . . .

-sp
OK. But WTH does (or did) 'pre-smoked' mean? How did they do it, and why would they leave the factory with a used filter in 'em?
This post by Puff nstuff liked by:
simplepipes
Piping Abe

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:48 pm
Piping Abe wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:46 pm Yes, it is old sticker residue. I plan to clean up the stems with some goo-gone. I’m really leaning towards smoking them. These pipes are more beautiful in person. I think the enjoyment i’ll get from smoking will outlast any monetary value.
ABS plastic stems, you can just wash it with soap and water, probably just use a qtip dipped in alcohol to remove the residue though.
Noted! I’ll do it tomorrow. I appreciate all the help.
This post by Piping Abe liked by (total 2):
Thelonious monkfishsimplepipes