pipes on bay .. or .. pipes you'd so score if you had the funds to blow

User avatar
arturo7
Active Member
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:37 pm
Location: way out west

Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:13 pm

There was a pair of matched Dunhill churchwardens a few months ago. Gorgeous pipes. I think they went for a grand or so.

It's impossible to search the estates over there without drooling.
This post by arturo7 liked by (total 2):
avidRuffinogold
ever forward
User avatar
Ruffinogold
The Mayor
Posts: 1103
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:48 pm
Location: Mineral Bluff , Georgia

Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:05 pm

Man , I wouldnt spend 400 bucks on a pipe .. lol .. but thats just me . However , if I were filthy rich , and I'm not even sure how I'd define filthy rich , I would probably buy it .

Hey , @avid ... check this one out . I have the smooth version of it and its incredible ... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mastro-De-Paja ... 3116503296
This post by Ruffinogold liked by (total 2):
avidMr Beardsley
" Ya don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows "
User avatar
avid
Active Member
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 1:01 pm

Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:20 pm

Ruffinogold wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:05 pm
Man , I wouldnt spend 400 bucks on a pipe .. lol .. but thats just me . However , if I were filthy rich , and I'm not even sure how I'd define filthy rich , I would probably buy it .

Hey , @avid ... check this one out . I have the smooth version of it and its incredible ... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mastro-De-Paja ... 3116503296
Cool!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
insufferable filter guy
User avatar
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member
Posts: 929
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:16 am

Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:28 pm

Ruffinogold wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:05 pm
Man , I wouldnt spend 400 bucks on a pipe .. lol .. but thats just me . However , if I were filthy rich , and I'm not even sure how I'd define filthy rich , I would probably buy it .

Hey , @avid ... check this one out . I have the smooth version of it and its incredible ... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mastro-De-Paja ... 3116503296
Same here. I keep my estate purchases under $50 whenever possible. I know you're a fan of mastro de paja pipes, this series really catches my eye but I haven't pulled the trigger
https://www.tobaccopipes.com/mastro-de- ... nt-author/
May contain lead paint
User avatar
Ruffinogold
The Mayor
Posts: 1103
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:48 pm
Location: Mineral Bluff , Georgia

Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:30 pm

All those pipes on the link you provided look great !!! The thing about Mastro de Paja is that it isnt a maker .... the company contracts out . Some people poo poo that but what they dont get is , like Connoisseur pipes which were contracted , they have to be produced to a standard and the standard is high .

Thing is , good briar drilled right isnt a big freakin deal ... it really isnt . Its why you can buy a Dr. Grabow Lark and it can smoke great , or a Medico or whatever . Its a few added touches that will elevate the smoking up a notch . So much of the higher end stuff is that and " the look " , which has nothing to do with smoking ... just like grain doesnt do jack all either . I hated all the bs and hype in regards to pipes ... but its what sells magazines and keeps people interested etc ...

Anyway , those near and around 100 dollar Mastros smoke fantastic . My Classica [ 90 bucks a few years ago ] smokes about as good as my high end Mastros


Heres some more mastros

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/shop/mas ... d/1701735/

I just emailed Mastro in Italy , In Italian , to get their latest catalogue from over seas . Im curious what they are producing compared to what we are seing in the state s [ ? ]
This post by Ruffinogold liked by:
Mr Beardsley
" Ya don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows "
User avatar
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member
Posts: 929
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:16 am

Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:59 am

Ruffinogold wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:30 pm
All those pipes on the link you provided look great !!! The thing about Mastro de Paja is that it isnt a maker .... the company contracts out . Some people poo poo that but what they dont get is , like Connoisseur pipes which were contracted , they have to be produced to a standard and the standard is high .

Thing is , good briar drilled right isnt a big freakin deal ... it really isnt . Its why you can buy a Dr. Grabow Lark and it can smoke great , or a Medico or whatever . Its a few added touches that will elevate the smoking up a notch . So much of the higher end stuff is that and " the look " , which has nothing to do with smoking ... just like grain doesnt do jack all either . I hated all the bs and hype in regards to pipes ... but its what sells magazines and keeps people interested etc ...

Anyway , those near and around 100 dollar Mastros smoke fantastic . My Classica [ 90 bucks a few years ago ] smokes about as good as my high end Mastros


Heres some more mastros

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/shop/mas ... d/1701735/

I just emailed Mastro in Italy , In Italian , to get their latest catalogue from over seas . Im curious what they are producing compared to what we are seing in the state s [ ? ]
Oh wow I had no idea that mastro was a labeler and not a manufacturer. Doesn't change my opinion, still some absolutely amazing looking pipes to my eye. The function is definitely the most important part to me. There's plenty of people out there that are doing pre-made stummels poorly (Instagram is swimming in them) but mastro has been around far too long for that to be the case
May contain lead paint
User avatar
Preacher1611
Active Member
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 11:32 am
Location: Van Schaick Island, NY

Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:19 am

Oh ebay! I've always got a couple 2, 3 meers on my watch list. I really want a figural like these, I want one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Antiqu ... lady&rt=nc

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-VICTOR ... itleDesc=0


https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Meersc ... Desc=0%7C0

That third one though... that one makes me wish for money! lol
This post by Preacher1611 liked by:
Ruffinogold
User avatar
CoreyR
Founding Member
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:55 pm
Location: Dinwiddie, Va

Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:14 pm

Mr Beardsley wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:57 pm
These 2 prince variations are something I lust for. Obviously the Comoy's is much more within my budget than the dunny
Image
Image
That meer looks like "African" block meerschaum. I have one of those and it is NICE.
This post by CoreyR liked by:
Ruffinogold
User avatar
Ruffinogold
The Mayor
Posts: 1103
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:48 pm
Location: Mineral Bluff , Georgia

Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:18 pm

Mr Beardsley wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:59 am
Ruffinogold wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:30 pm
All those pipes on the link you provided look great !!! The thing about Mastro de Paja is that it isnt a maker .... the company contracts out . Some people poo poo that but what they dont get is , like Connoisseur pipes which were contracted , they have to be produced to a standard and the standard is high .

Thing is , good briar drilled right isnt a big freakin deal ... it really isnt . Its why you can buy a Dr. Grabow Lark and it can smoke great , or a Medico or whatever . Its a few added touches that will elevate the smoking up a notch . So much of the higher end stuff is that and " the look " , which has nothing to do with smoking ... just like grain doesnt do jack all either . I hated all the bs and hype in regards to pipes ... but its what sells magazines and keeps people interested etc ...

Anyway , those near and around 100 dollar Mastros smoke fantastic . My Classica [ 90 bucks a few years ago ] smokes about as good as my high end Mastros

Heres some more mastros

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/shop/mas ... d/1701735/

I just emailed Mastro in Italy , In Italian , to get their latest catalogue from over seas . Im curious what they are producing compared to what we are seing in the state s [ ? ]
Oh wow I had no idea that mastro was a labeler and not a manufacturer. Doesn't change my opinion, still some absolutely amazing looking pipes to my eye. The function is definitely the most important part to me. There's plenty of people out there that are doing pre-made stummels poorly (Instagram is swimming in them) but mastro has been around far too long for that to be the case
I dont think " Labeler " is right and my use of the word contracted out was too vague .They dont buy pipes and just stamp . They have pipes made my employees and pipe makers in Pesaro Italy . Contracted is a poor word , but in essence it kinda is and they did contract to Pesaro makers at some point . Mainly , there is no Mr. de Paja . Its a different kind of pipe company , or was at one time , I dont keep up with pipe companies so much anymore . The standard is high is whats important and their designs , especially in the 70's and 80's [ imo ] were just fantastic , though there are still mind blowers showing up these days . Their spin on traditional shapes are out of sight to my eye many a time
This post by Ruffinogold liked by:
Mr Beardsley
" Ya don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows "
Post Reply