Perspex [ acrylic ] is superior ...

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

.. Just saying

Its smoother by far . Only a touch harder than vulcanite ... and ... it wont Sulphur out on you . Its superior and I dont know why people bother with vulcanite , other than for traditions sake .I mean , we dont use lead paint anymore or steam engines

Im sitting here smoking a wonderful Savinelli Tevere bent blast and the stem looks like new and feels perfect . The pipe is 10 years old or a little more

Acrylic is superior .... imho
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
simplepipes
Codger in Training

I agree . . . no vulcanite for me.

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Vulcanite is easier for the pipe carver to shape. It is way easier to get a perfect thin stem with vulcanite.

I prefer Vulcanite because it is softer and usually thinner. However, a real good carver can get Acrylic almost as thin as an acrylic stem.

I do like the indistructable nature of acrylic.

They got this new stuff. Juma I think. It is as soft as Vulcanite, doesn’t oxidize and comes in all colors.

You can see it here:

https://vermontfreehand.com/rods/
The Secret to Happiness is Low Expectations
Ronv69
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:11 pm .. Just saying

Its smoother by far . Only a touch harder than vulcanite ... and ... it wont Sulphur out on you . Its superior and I dont know why people bother with vulcanite , other than for traditions sake .I mean , we dont use lead paint anymore or steam engines

Im sitting here smoking a wonderful Savinelli Tevere bent blast and the stem looks like new and feels perfect . The pipe is 10 years old or a little more

Acrylic is superior .... imho
Come on, man! Everyone loves steam engines. And yellow busses.
God and Texas!
Ronv69
Founding Member

I like both. I like the high quality vulcanite and well made acrylic. Radice stems are great.
God and Texas!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I prefer vulcanite. It's softer and requires maintenance which I like. There is nothing more satisfying that buffing out an oxidized stem.
The Troll Whisperer
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I have rarely been able to abide the "mouth feel" of most acrylic stems. I am a clencher and vulcanite is "grippier" in the teeth. Having said all that, the perspex stems I have on a few pipes are good for me.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

There is some acrylic that is very glossy and slippery. And then the better ones have better grip and don’t feel like glass
The Secret to Happiness is Low Expectations
Puff nstuff

That ceramic pipe I smoked the other day has a very glossy and comfortable acrylic stem, though it's beefier than I'm used to. I also like the acrlic stem on my Royalton prince. But I think prefer the overall mouthfeel of vulcanite.
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Hawkwood

I smoke acrylic stemmed pipes almost exclusively. So much easier to maintain. I'm also a fan of the older DrG and Medico nylon stems. I still have a couple of vulcanite stemmed pipes for nostalgia but they rarely get smoked.