What aids your pipe enjoyment?

Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Whalehead King wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:32 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:15 am lol , ya sick bastids
...three simple letters.

It's been the downfall of many a good man and many a good thread. SO, what else aids your pipe enjoyment?
There is a house in New Orleans
They call the Rising Sun
And it's been the ruin of many a good man [sic]
And God, I know I'm one
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
CoreyR
Founding Member

My dog. I think he actually like the smell of my pipe.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

I'm one of those who feel that it's the pipe that adds to my general enjoyment of life. While I read, listen to music, write, do paperwork, research, while smoking a pipe, none of those things add enjoyment. Instead, the pipe makes all those things better.

I'm a latecomer to the pipe; it was the first of any kind of smoke for me. I started smoking the pipe as a way to calm myself during anxiety attacks, and since then the whole pipe world of cleaning, restoring, reading about pipes & tobaccos, etc has had a wonderful calming effect for me. Dear Sweetie was skeptical at first, worried about nicotine addiction, and the like. But she's fully on board now, having seen the positive effect the pipe has had on my frame of mind.

Great thread. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your comments.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Legion

MikeDennison wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:25 pm I'm one of those who feel that it's the pipe that adds to my general enjoyment of life. While I read, listen to music, write, do paperwork, research, while smoking a pipe, none of those things add enjoyment. Instead, the pipe makes all those things better.

I'm a latecomer to the pipe; it was the first of any kind of smoke for me. I started smoking the pipe as a way to calm myself during anxiety attacks, and since then the whole pipe world of cleaning, restoring, reading about pipes & tobaccos, etc has had a wonderful calming effect for me. Dear Sweetie was skeptical at first, worried about nicotine addiction, and the like. But she's fully on board now, having seen the positive effect the pipe has had on my frame of mind.

Great thread. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your comments.
I've self medicated with nicotine since 12yo. There were times when I'd go without food to buy a pouch of RYO tobacco.

With ciggies though, especially as I got older, I'd find myself chain smoking in times of stress but receive little satisfaction.
Since turning to a pipe around 7 years ago, I've found that it's not just the smoking that provides comfort, it's the ritual of cleaning, packing & just holding a warm bowl in my hand that helps to keep me relaxed & calm.

Learning many different meditation techniques has helped me tremendously. Like most things in life, one needs to find what works for them.
Although I've learnt some fairly intense methods, one of my favourites is to simply sit outside, puffing on a pipe, watching nature & a setting or rising sun.

Meditation changed my life for the better & I highly recommend it for everyone.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Being born and raised in the Willamette Valley in Oregon, a giant temperate rain forest, there is nothing quite so meditative as watching the smoke slowly curl out from a lit pipe and drift from my patio into the torrential downpour of rain. That aroma of fresh rain and smoke mixed with the pitter-patter sound of the drops is intoxicating.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Legion

houtenziel wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:50 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:46 pmSex
You must be a clencher.
Lol. Your comment provoked a mental image with man on top with pipe clenched between teeth in vigorous embrace, lol.
Living in an age of Occupational Health & Safety, one must consider ones recreational safety as well. Or should I say hers.
One can only imagine the result of smouldering embers landing on ones snuggle friend. If she were to forgive, it's a fair bet that his pipe would be banned from the bedroom forever on.

A very polite young red head taught me the joys of combining a snuggle with a smoke. It only works with guy flat on his back. :awesome:
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Legion wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:30 pm
MikeDennison wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:25 pm
Since turning to a pipe around 7 years ago, I've found that it's not just the smoking that provides comfort, it's the ritual of cleaning, packing & just holding a warm bowl in my hand that helps to keep me relaxed & calm.
I get that. The whole process is wonderfully contemplative. :)
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Whalehead King

Legion wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:09 pm
... A very polite young red head taught me the joys of combining a snuggle with a smoke. It only works with guy flat on his back. :awesome:
Again with a mention of a redhead on this forum? It's always a redhead....

Don't get me wrong, I love a ginger, but, reading these comments, an outsider would think we live on a planet of redheaded women.

I couldn't find a movie clip about a planet of redheaded women (!??!?!?!!?) but I did find this nice Rita Hayward mix. This should keep you redhead lovers staying alive:

Legion

Whalehead, that's just cruel.

Redheads have always had an unfair advantage over the other girls but I did learn to inspect the face before sidling up to one. Excessive alcohol consumption in my younger days certainly did cause it's own set of problems though. Some are what nightmares are made.
Waking the morning after once, terribly hungover, to a visage of gorgeous red hair & a freckled back, I was almost too frightened to awaken her to see how far my standards really do slip when drunk. (It was ok. She was a 6/10 which, with her red hair & freckled skin, made her an 8/10)

Sad thing is is that I married a blond who turned out to be just as crazy, spiteful & vicious as any redhead.
Oh well, that's life. At least I don't have any little Rangas running around out there.
Whalehead King

That pic is of the patroness of the What Machine Made Cigar Are You Smoking Today (TM) thread. Uncomfortably abbreviated: WMMCAYST (TM). She is Muriel Hauptmann, a paragon of machine made goodness and a lady who is held in high esteem by the Gang of Five or So who lurk about on the WMMCAYST thread. She is a model of feminine pulchritude. We admire her and we hold cherish the time we get to spend in her company. Get to know her. You'll love her. What a person is in his or her heart is more important than what they have on their head. Take it from someone who is always seen in public wearing a jaunty fedora.

I love a ginger, as I've said, but I also love everyone. Like Casanova, I am a man who loves women. It strikes me as curious that whenever a woman is mentioned on the forum, she always turns out to be a ginger. We seem to have a redhead fetish. It may just be coincidence cropping up this early in the forum's history. Time and more posts will tell. To paraphrase and twist the great poet Ogden Nash's words:

Some people have a fetish
For offending the Irish.

To any redheaded women (or men, too) who may happen to be reading this, you are beautiful, whoever you may be. Be well. You are unique and you are loved. You are a ten, as is everyone else in this world: blond, brunette, bald, black, white, yellow, red, green, freckled or not. We are all made in God's image and I look forward to meeting you someday and sharing a pipe with you and some easy-going conversation about something important, or simply to pass the time.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=28? It's a real whiz bang thread. You can waste a lot of time there. It will be time well wasted. Get acquainted with Muriel Hauptmann and her pals.

I apologize for, perhaps, steering this thread even further off topic than it needed to go. I have not intended any offense to anyone who has read this far. I will recuse myself from this thread in the future.

With a handshake, -WK