Problem Pipe

Splodger

I've been enjoying my pipes for just a few years now, and one of the first pipes I bought is a Neerup Volcano. It's a nice looking pipe and I like it, but I just can't get a good smoke out of it. I have to keep putting it down, as the bowl gets very hot very easily. It is, of course, a large bowl, but I have tried only filling it half full. I've tried just sipping at it. I've tried to light it really gently, but it seems that whatever I do, it gets so hot that I have to put it down and wait for it to cool (and I mean completely) before I light it up again. Then rinse and repeat. This does not happen with my other pipes. Is it me or is it the pipe?

Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind - Henry James
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

First off let me say that's one good looking volcano. I'm guessing it could be one of many factors that are making it smoke hot. Maybe the walls are thinner on average than the rest of your pipes? Maybe that particular chunk of briar is less dense? I'd say just keep smoking it carefully and see if cake build up helps the heat issues
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Splodger

Good thinking, I’ve only smoked it five or six times
Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind - Henry James
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Splodger wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:01 pm Good thinking, I’ve only smoked it five or six times
We probably all have a pipe or two that seems to smoke hot, I know I do, so I just treat them a bit gently
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Really I think you need to put a pouch of tobacco through a pipe before assessing problems. Sometimes apparent ones sort themselves out in that time. What are you smoking in it?
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Splodger

After some thought. First smoke was 1-Q which is only slightly aromatic. Otherwise two bowls of Elizabethan Mixture, one of Nightcap and one of Early Morning Pipe
xrundog

English cakes a pipe pretty fast. Stick with it. Looks like a wide bore. It can tolerate a lot of cake.
Splodger

xrundog wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:40 pm English cakes a pipe pretty fast. Stick with it. Looks like a wide bore. It can tolerate a lot of cake.
Good to know