Your favorite and/or most sentimental pipe

Matt7082

Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:55 pm

I starred smoking pipes about five years ago. Early on I was afraid to spend any kind of money on a pipe because I didn’t know what I was looking for. Someone suggested buying estate pipes for more affordable prices.

I was attracted to the freehand Nordings at the time and found a nice 80’s era grade F Nording pick axe on the Bay which caught my eye. I bought it for $40. It arrived sanitized and cleaned. It smoke beautifully and the bit fit perfectly in my teeth. It doesn’t tote the enormous bowl which Nording is known for, and the bit is thin and rather flat. I’d post a photo of it if I could,l figure out how. Either way, it’s really nothing special. It just smokes every type of tobacco perfectly and is very comfortable.

Anyhow, I was fly fishing a favorite trout stream in Connecticut. I hooked a fish, and as I was trying to net it, my pipe fell out of my mouth and I watched it float down the river. I was crushed. This was my favorite pipe out of the 3 or 4 pipes in my humble collection. I knew a lot of regular fisherman on the river. I also knew the guys in the local fly shop pretty well. They all knew me as the guy with the pipe.

About a week or so later, I stopped in the shop on my way to the river. One of the guys said, “hey I think I may have something you’ll like!”. He reached under the counter and pulled out my pipe. It was soggy and dull but still intact. Somebody found it on the river bank and assumed it belonged to “the guy with the pipe”, and returned it to the fly shop.

I took it home and left it out to dry for about a week. I was sure it would never smoke as well as it did before, but to my surprise it did!

I’ve continued to smoke it for several years, and just recently I sent it to a friend to he restored. I’m smoking it as I type this thread, and it smokes better than it ever did. Today I have many pipes. Some cheap, some very expensive. However, this one is still my favorite and best smoking pipe.

Do you have a favorite pipe? Or a pipe with a good story?
This post by Matt7082 liked by (total 15):
houtenzielMikeDennisonCobmanoldbillThelonious monkfishJohnPreacher1611Bruyere_RoyalencrobbMiddle EarthSuper KPeacockMaynardsimplepipesGrimpeur
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:01 pm

I have one that my girlfriend (now wife) gave me for Christmas in '78.

ImageImage
This post by Fr_Tom liked by (total 16):
houtenzielMikeDennisonMr BeardsleyCobmanKevin KeitholdbillThelonious monkfishJohnsimplepipesLongshanksPreacher1611Bruyere_RoyalencrobbMatt7082Middle EarthMaynard
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
MikeDennison

Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:20 pm

Matt7082 wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:55 pm
I starred smoking pipes about five years ago. Early on I was afraid to spend any kind of money on a pipe because I didn’t know what I was looking for. Someone suggested buying estate pipes for more affordable prices.

I was attracted to the freehand Nordings at the time and found a nice 80’s era grade F Nording pick axe on the Bay which caught my eye. I bought it for $40. It arrived sanitized and cleaned. It smoke beautifully and the bit fit perfectly in my teeth. It doesn’t tote the enormous bowl which Nording is known for, and the bit is thin and rather flat. I’d post a photo of it if I could,l figure out how. Either way, it’s really nothing special. It just smokes every type of tobacco perfectly and is very comfortable.

Anyhow, I was fly fishing a favorite trout stream in Connecticut. I hooked a fish, and as I was trying to net it, my pipe fell out of my mouth and I watched it float down the river. I was crushed. This was my favorite pipe out of the 3 or 4 pipes in my humble collection. I knew a lot of regular fisherman on the river. I also knew the guys in the local fly shop pretty well. They all knew me as the guy with the pipe.

About a week or so later, I stopped in the shop on my way to the river. One of the guys said, “hey I think I may have something you’ll like!”. He reached under the counter and pulled out my pipe. It was soggy and dull but still intact. Somebody found it on the river bank and assumed it belonged to “the guy with the pipe”, and returned it to the fly shop.

I took it home and left it out to dry for about a week. I was sure it would never smoke as well as it did before, but to my surprise it did!

I’ve continued to smoke it for several years, and just recently I sent it to a friend to he restored. I’m smoking it as I type this thread, and it smokes better than it ever did. Today I have many pipes. Some cheap, some very expensive. However, this one is still my favorite and best smoking pipe.

Do you have a favorite pipe? Or a pipe with a good story?
That's a fantastic story!
This post by MikeDennison liked by (total 5):
Thelonious monkfishMatt7082Middle EarthPeacocksimplepipes
Ray Mackessy
Man About Town

Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:26 pm

I have a few pipes I could classify as my favorite, but if I had to choose just one it would be my Altinok Santa Claus meerschaum pipe.

Thelonious monkfish

Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:43 pm

I have many that stay more for the people/memories associated with than the preference to smoke. None with a story like that though I have had a few pipes come back into my hands by strange means.
This post by Thelonious monkfish liked by (total 8):
Fr_TomPreacher1611MikeDennisonBruyere_RoyaleMatt7082Middle EarthMaynardsimplepipes
arturo7

Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:38 pm

"Big Stinky" is the first pipe I bought.

It is a large, el-cheapo billiard with a giant bowl and wacky engraving.

I can't remember the last time I smoked it.
This post by arturo7 liked by (total 6):
Preacher1611MikeDennisonThelonious monkfishMiddle EarthMaynardsimplepipes
ever forward
Longshanks

Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:25 am

The Digby below probably has the most sentimental value since I sniped it off the 'bay, refurbished it and then carried it with me across the country for a good long time.
Image Image
This post by Longshanks liked by (total 14):
Preacher1611Fr_TomKevin KeithMikeDennisonJohnBruyere_RoyalencrobbRuffinogoldThelonious monkfishMatt7082Middle EarthPeacockMaynardsimplepipes
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
Longshanks

Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:38 am

Smoked a lot of Carter Hall and PA in it. Good times, good times. :)
This post by Longshanks liked by (total 10):
Preacher1611Kevin KeithMikeDennisonBruyere_RoyaleRuffinogoldMatt7082Middle EarthPeacockMaynardsimplepipes
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
Preacher1611

Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:44 am

My first pipe holds the most memories for me... It's a Dr. Grabow Grand Duke. It's been used and abused and taken just about everywhere: concerts, hiking, biking, fishing and hunting. It's had all sorts of tobacco in it from the good to the bad. It's even had that green stuff smoked through it a number of times. It sits in a rack with a couple of Kaywoodies, a Brebbia "second" and a couple other Dr. Grabow's. It's in the regular rotation, (technically, all my pipes are but whatever). It isn't the best smoker in my collection, (that honor goes to my Dr. G. Lark), but it sure is a trooper! I think I'll brake rotation and smoke it tonight. I should take new pics but I really like this one sooo...

This post by Preacher1611 liked by (total 10):
LongshanksFr_TomMikeDennisonBruyere_RoyalencrobbRuffinogoldThelonious monkfishMatt7082Middle EarthMaynard
Bruyere_Royale
Founding Member

Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:44 pm

I have quite a few pipes that are sentimental to me and all my pipes smoke pretty darn good. This is a tuff question for me to answer so I'm gonna say all of them.👍
Tsal... 🎳