Your favorite and/or most sentimental pipe

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:30 am

I've had multiple collections of pipes that I've gone through over the years . Many hundreds , it's ridiculous . I have a number of sentimental pipes for many a reason but i guess this one is my most .

It's my first pipe and I have no idea how I still have it , I really don't. I don't have my 2nd through 500th pipe but I have the first .

It's been everywhere I've been since I was 14 . Other than an old timer sharp finger, it's the only thing I've owned thst long I think .
Anyway , it's stamped Tug Boat / Italy and I lucked out because it smokes awesome from day one . Bought new in the summer of 79
This post by Ruffinogold liked by (total 11):
ncrobbKevin KeithMiddle EarthFr_TomThelonious monkfishLongshanksMikeDennisonPreacher1611PeacockMaynardsimplepipes
" Ya don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows "
Wooda
Founding Member

Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:51 am

2015 psf poy.

It was bought at the time when I was most active on that forum, and was the first time I laid down serious coin for a pipe. It reminds me of what I consider to be the Apex of Woody's place,

I smoked it during a season when my paying job was psychologically and spiritually devastating. It was a tool for Ceremony to carry my prayers to Creator while I was still floundering for spiritual guidance.

I suppose that makes it sentimental.
This post by Wooda liked by (total 11):
Middle EarthFr_TomThelonious monkfishhoutenzielKevin KeithMikeDennisonRuffinogoldPreacher1611PeacockMaynardsimplepipes
Underwater Basketweaver.
Baskets of basket pipes.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:08 pm

I don't have that many. I started smoking a pipe in 1979. I didn't start collecting pipes, or "cellaring" tobacco, or collecting lighters, or pairing my smoke to my refreshments, or any of that corksniffing stuff. I just smoked. I had maybe two pipes, three if you counted a corn cob. I bought SWR by the pouch, daily or whatever the need was. I never burned out a pipe but I did lose them or break them sometimes. Then I would buy another one. Sentiment didn't play a part in my pipe smoking then, but it has become more so now. I blame the internet.

So...favorite pipe is any of my Grand Duke 69s. I have 7 or 8 and they are all great smokers. The most sentimental is a Preben Holm made Ben Wade Unicorn Fawn my wife bought me for Christmas in 1985. It's one I smoke hardly at all, but I'd never trade or sell it.
This post by Kevin Keith liked by (total 9):
Middle EarthFr_TomThelonious monkfishMr BeardsleyMikeDennisonPreacher1611PeacockMaynardsimplepipes
houtenziel

Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:50 pm

Kevin Keith wrote:
...a Preben Holm made Ben Wade Unicorn Fawn my wife bought me for Christmas in 1985. It's one I smoke hardly at all, but I'd never trade or sell it.
That pipe is two years younger than I am.. :D

Also, I am going to have to start using the term "corksniffer". :thumbs:
This post by houtenziel liked by (total 9):
Middle EarthFr_TomThelonious monkfishMikeDennisonPreacher1611IslayphilePeacockKevin Keithsimplepipes
"Today is a good day for a good day." - KK
Middle Earth

Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:58 pm

I am not sentimental about stuff. People yes. Stuff no. So my current favorite, emphasis on current, is this Layton comission. Perfect draft. Close second are my Rinaldos, they are smokers. Great background stories in this thread. I appreciate and like that people are sentimental about important things in their lives.

Last edited by Middle Earth on Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post by Middle Earth liked by (total 9):
Fr_TomThelonious monkfishLongshanksMikeDennisonPreacher1611IslayphilePeacockKevin Keithsimplepipes
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:01 pm

Kevin Keith wrote:
I don't have that many. I started smoking a pipe in 1979. I didn't start collecting pipes, or "cellaring" tobacco, or collecting lighters, or pairing my smoke to my refreshments, or any of that corksniffing stuff. I just smoked. I had maybe two pipes, three if you counted a corn cob. I bought SWR by the pouch, daily or whatever the need was. I never burned out a pipe but I did lose them or break them sometimes. Then I would buy another one. Sentiment didn't play a part in my pipe smoking then, but it has become more so now. I blame the internet.

So...favorite pipe is any of my Grand Duke 69s. I have 7 or 8 and they are all great smokers. The most sentimental is a Preben Holm made Ben Wade Unicorn Fawn my wife bought me for Christmas in 1985. It's one I smoke hardly at all, but I'd never trade or sell it.
I hear ya . I didn't star cellaring until the last administration with that schip tax thing that ruined hand made cigar purchases for me .

Btw , you smoking a unicorn is about the last thing I'd have come up with .. just sayin
This post by Ruffinogold liked by (total 9):
Middle EarthFr_TomKevin KeithThelonious monkfishhoutenzielMikeDennisonPreacher1611Islayphilesimplepipes
Hitzy

Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:04 pm

Sentimental is Gramps old Dr Plumb.
This post by Hitzy liked by (total 11):
Middle EarthMr BeardsleyMikeDennisonThelonious monkfishRuffinogoldLongshanksPreacher1611Fr_TomIslayphilePeacocksimplepipes
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:46 pm

Hitzy wrote:
Love it , man !

I had a Dr. PLUMB that looked like a Pete system , kind of , and it was a great smoking pipe . Ad a few regular ones too and like them all .They're more well know in the redcoat world than yankeeville , I think
This post by Ruffinogold liked by (total 5):
Thelonious monkfishFr_TomIslayphileKevin Keithsimplepipes
Preacher1611

Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:23 am

Hitzy wrote:

That is a nice looking pipe. :thumbs:
This post by Preacher1611 liked by (total 3):
Fr_TomIslayphileKevin Keith
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:18 pm

Today I've been smoking my rusticated Peterson XL305 and I was thinking how it and it's unidentical twin the "smooth" XL305 were among my favorite pipes.Image
They smoke great and are rather large when compared to my other pipes both in overall size and the depth of the bowl which allows a longer smoke.
The other contender however would be my Peterson Sherlock Holmes and it's unidentical twin the rusticated Sherlock Holmes which also smoke amazingly but are smaller over all than the XL305 but like the XLs have the deep bowls that hold a lot of baccy.Image
So which pipe is my favorite? Hmm, I'll have to think about that some more. ;) Image
This post by oldbill liked by (total 8):
Fr_TomMr BeardsleyIslayphileLongshanksPeacockKevin KeithThelonious monkfishsimplepipes
... and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!