Nylon Pipe?

User avatar
Bamarick
Active Member
Posts: 499
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:11 am

Sun May 12, 2019 6:35 pm

Loosecut wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 5:23 pm
I can't make out the stamp on the shank end....What is the brand name of this weird pipe? It also looks the like shank and stem is all one single piece of the same material. It also looks like a Falcon where the elegant (sarcasm) Dr. Grabow-like rusticated bowl can be twisted off, just like a Falcon.

I like it.
The pipe is nylon from one end to the other with the exception of a metal fitting for the bowl to attach to. All that is on the shank is "Italy". Say the word & it can be yours with my compliments. I might even include a bowl or two of tobacco to smoke in it :clap: Shoot me a PM if you want it.
Image
This post by Bamarick liked by (total 4):
LoosecuthoutenzielFr_TomBruyere_Royale
Just an old retired Telephone Man enjoying life one day at a time.
User avatar
Loosecut
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu May 09, 2019 6:55 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Sun May 12, 2019 8:03 pm

Bamarick wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:35 pm
Loosecut wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 5:23 pm
I can't make out the stamp on the shank end....What is the brand name of this weird pipe? It also looks the like shank and stem is all one single piece of the same material. It also looks like a Falcon where the elegant (sarcasm) Dr. Grabow-like rusticated bowl can be twisted off, just like a Falcon.

I like it.
The pipe is nylon from one end to the other with the exception of a metal fitting for the bowl to attach to. All that is on the shank is "Italy". Say the word & it can be yours with my compliments. I might even include a bowl or two of tobacco to smoke in it :clap: Shoot me a PM if you want it.
Image
I want it! I Want it! I will send you a PM w/ an address. Thanks!
This post by Loosecut liked by (total 2):
houtenzielMaynard
User avatar
Maynard
Member in Good Standing
Posts: 535
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:36 pm
Location: East Tennessee

Mon May 13, 2019 4:53 am

ImageI have a couple I bought in the early 80s for camping fishing etc they are good smokers.
This post by Maynard liked by (total 2):
Fr_TomMr Beardsley
User avatar
Maynard
Member in Good Standing
Posts: 535
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:36 pm
Location: East Tennessee

Mon May 13, 2019 5:04 am

ImageI also have these Dr Grabows with the elegant(no sarcasm)twist off bowls in my rotation that I enjoy very much.
This post by Maynard liked by (total 5):
Kevin KeithFr_TomBruyere_RoyaleMr BeardsleyLoosecut
User avatar
CoreyR
Founding Member
Posts: 235
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:55 pm
Location: Dinwiddie, Va

Mon May 13, 2019 7:34 am

I am sitting here wondering, is it similar to "Brylon?"
User avatar
CoreyR
Founding Member
Posts: 235
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:55 pm
Location: Dinwiddie, Va

Mon May 13, 2019 7:36 am

...if so, I have several brylon pipes, they are good smokers but they do tend to get hot. I save them for fishing mainly.
User avatar
Loosecut
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu May 09, 2019 6:55 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Mon May 13, 2019 12:49 pm

CoreyR wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:34 am
I am sitting here wondering, is it similar to "Brylon?"
My understanding is that "Brylon" is a revolutionary space-age material that combines Briar dust with Nylon (aka plastic). I have a black Yello-Bole pipe that is a genuine Brylon.

So, Nylon must mean just 100% PURE space-age plastic.

I found a similar pipe to the pipe featured in this thread on the P&C site. Here is the link to it, sold w/ other items as part of a set. It states that the shank/stem piece is nylon, and the bowl is briar:

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/a-grea ... t/2015657/
This post by Loosecut liked by (total 3):
CoreyRBamarickMaynard
User avatar
Bamarick
Active Member
Posts: 499
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:11 am

Mon May 13, 2019 2:13 pm

Loosecut wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:49 pm
CoreyR wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:34 am
I am sitting here wondering, is it similar to "Brylon?"
My understanding is that "Brylon" is a revolutionary space-age material that combines Briar dust with Nylon (aka plastic). I have a black Yello-Bole pipe that is a genuine Brylon.

So, Nylon must mean just 100% PURE space-age plastic.

I found a similar pipe to the pipe featured in this thread on the P&C site. Here is the link to it, sold w/ other items as part of a set. It states that the shank/stem piece is nylon, and the bowl is briar:

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/a-grea ... t/2015657/
Loosecut, that is basically the same sampler I ordered from P&C that included the 100% Nylon Pipe. I'm inclined to think that because of negative reviews they decided to change the bowl to Briar.

@CoreyR, If I'm not bad wrong Brylon is not 100% nylon so the answer to your question is no. I've just bought (ebay) an unsmoked Yello-Bole Brylon pipe and in my very weak opinion they are completely different.
This post by Bamarick liked by:
Maynard
Just an old retired Telephone Man enjoying life one day at a time.
User avatar
Bamarick
Active Member
Posts: 499
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:11 am

Mon May 13, 2019 2:19 pm

CoreyR wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:36 am
...if so, I have several brylon pipes, they are good smokers but they do tend to get hot. I save them for fishing mainly.
Another member wrote to loose pack the Brylons and do a lot of relights. I followed that advice yesterday afternoon by loose packing the pipe with SPRT. It smoked a lot cooler and I only had 4 relights.
This post by Bamarick liked by:
Maynard
Just an old retired Telephone Man enjoying life one day at a time.
User avatar
Loosecut
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu May 09, 2019 6:55 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Wed May 22, 2019 7:55 pm

Well, the nylon pipe featured in this thread has officially changed hands!

I gave it my treatment cleaning, and the first smoke was Paladin Black Cherry...here is a pic of the pipe, now residing in Ontario, Canada:

Image

It wasn't the best smoke I ever had, but I am sure I will figure things out. I agree with Bamarick, that it has a plastic flavour about it. But maybe, it just needs some more time to get broken in????

I do have some positive words, though. The bit end is very comfortable...much more comfortable than my Falcon and Yello-Bole, which also have plastic bits. The pipe is great to clench.

The pipe was also very well behaved. I noticed that the pipe was so light-weight in the hand, that it was almost like waving a cigarette around, which I thought was interesting.

This pipe has potential...I can feel it! I can sense it!
This post by Loosecut liked by:
Mr Beardsley
Post Reply