The Sea Urchin Pipe

unregistered1

I am sure quite a few of us has seen this unique pipe shape at one time or another while browsing the internet, looking for that one of a kind pipe to add to one's collection. But who came up with this crazy idea of a sea urchin?
From my research (which was not extensive by any means), it seems like the late Bill Taylor, of Ashton pipes, has created it first. I managed to find an example:

Nowadays, it is definitively the signature shape of Ian Walker from Northern Briars. I admit I like Walker's interpretation of the shape, better. Here are a few examples:

I have always been fascinated by the striking look this shape displays, particularly when Walker enhances it with a silver shank adornment.

But, of all the variations I have seen, the natural finish with the Celtic sterling silver adornment is the one I would go for.

I cannot look at this wonderful pipe and not think that this is, simply, a work of art. If there would be one pipe I would buy without hesitation nor caring about its price, it would be the natural with the Celtic band.
'Tobacco is my favorite vegetable.' :D
Frank Zappa
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

It's definitely an eye catching shape though I prefer the somewhat mellower look of the first example over the northern briars interpretation
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Grimpeur

He's not getting any younger: if you have a couple of hundred quid laying around you should treat yourself!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Although not my cup of tea, it's a cool looking pipe.
The Troll Whisperer
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I bet you could commission one in meer for MMM.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
racinghoss

Oof. I can appreciate the effort, but that pipe is atrocious.