Pipe Identification... Grabow?!?

oldbill
Member in Good Standing

I just found this thing in a local thrift shop and was wondering if anyone here has ever seen this before? It's completely unmarked with the exception of the white spade on the stem which would say Dr Grabow to me but I don't recall them making anything like this. I guess this would be their version of a Peterson system, does this look familiar to you Grabow experts or to anyone for that matter? :?:
... and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
Johnny
Member in Good Standing

An Omega or Big Pipe from Grabow? I'm not sure
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Looks like someone used a Grabow freehand stem on some other random pipe.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

Johnny wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:47 pm An Omega or Big Pipe from Grabow? I'm not sure
Yeah, I looked at the Grabow Omega line first but there isn't anything like this. This guy has a HUGE bowl and is made with parts that I've never seen Grabow use before.
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

houtenziel wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:49 pm Looks like someone used a Grabow freehand stem on some other random pipe.
Yeah it crossed my mind that it's probably a Frankenpipe, made in someone's garage but I want to make sure before I dissect it in case it's some kind of a rare Grabow. I actually bought it for the bowl, I'm thinking of making a big churchwarden out of it. :D
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

oldbill wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:56 pm
houtenziel wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:49 pm Looks like someone used a Grabow freehand stem on some other random pipe.
Yeah it crossed my mind that it's probably a Frankenpipe, made in someone's garage but I want to make sure before I dissect it in case it's some kind of a rare Grabow. I actually bought it for the bowl, I'm thinking of making a big churchwarden out of it. :D
The only reason I say that is because it looks like one of the later Grabow stems with the aluminum filter bayonet removed.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

houtenziel wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:00 pm
oldbill wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:56 pm
The only reason I say that is because it looks like one of the later Grabow stems with the aluminum filter bayonet removed.
The aluminum/tenon/filter bayonet came out of the stem and is stuck in the pipe. Not a Grabow pipe, but the stem is off a Freehand.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Kevin Keith wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:20 pm
oldbill wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:56 pm Yeah it crossed my mind that it's probably a Frankenpipe, made in someone's garage but I want to make sure before I dissect it in case it's some kind of a rare Grabow. I actually bought it for the bowl, I'm thinking of making a big churchwarden out of it. :D
The aluminum/tenon/filter bayonet came out of the stem and is stuck in the pipe. Not a Grabow pipe, but the stem is off a Freehand.
I guess I've never seen the other end of that bayonet before. lol!
― Theodore Roosevelt
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

Kevin Keith wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:20 pm
oldbill wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:56 pm Yeah it crossed my mind that it's probably a Frankenpipe, made in someone's garage but I want to make sure before I dissect it in case it's some kind of a rare Grabow. I actually bought it for the bowl, I'm thinking of making a big churchwarden out of it. :D
Ha, I see that now! Thanks Kevin, now I won't feel bad about hacking this thing apart! :P