Chinese cob failure

Fr_Tom
Chaplain

For those of you who remember from PSF 1.0, I took a Chinese cob and bored it out. I mudded the heel. I smoked it with some regularity and found it to work pretty well. It did not burst into flames or fall apart.

Today I went to take it apart to run a doubled over pipe cleaner down the shank. The tenon broke off in the shank.

"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Tsal
Forum Decorum

That's the last place I would have thought a cob would fail. Are you going to replace the stem and zip the shsnk?
The Troll Whisperer
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Maybe look for a spare stem that will fit...

Old Ted Award - 2017
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I'm sure you will make it work somehow. I think you're the only person who smokes them regularly.
The Troll Whisperer
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:42 am I'm sure you will make it work somehow. I think you're the only person who smokes them regularly.
I can believe that. I tried it really as an experiment. It is like buying a pouch of Mixture 79. You may find that it works better than people might have you believe.

Old Ted Award - 2017
321 One
Founding Member

Fr_Tom wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:15 am For those of you who remember from PSF 1.0, I took a Chinese cob and bored it out. I mudded the heel. I smoked it with some regularity and found it to work pretty well. It did not burst into flames or fall apart.

Today I went to take it apart to run a doubled over pipe cleaner down the shank. The tenon broke off in the shank.

Now, can you use superglue to fix a stem or is that inadvisable due to smoking through it ??
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

321 One wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:29 am
Now, can you use superglue to fix a stem or is that inadvisable due to smoking through it ??
I might try. The easiest thing to do would be to take a stem off another Chinese cob.

Old Ted Award - 2017
321 One
Founding Member

Fr_Tom wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:36 am
321 One wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:29 am
I might try. The easiest thing to do would be to take a stem off another Chinese cob.
That's cool.
Being that I've started to have a little side hobby of 'working on' various pipes I come across, I was thinking with that I might try to grind the stem down, making it a little shorter and trying to fit it into the shank.
Wildcrow
Founding Member

Is the diameter the same as an MM stem?
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Wildcrow wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:59 am Is the diameter the same as an MM stem?
I wish - that would be an easy fix.

Old Ted Award - 2017