Dedicated Pipes Question

Rusticated

I dont have many pipes but the 16 I have I dedicated 4 each to Aro's, English, VA's, and Burleys. So my question is when you get a burley like Deluxe Crumb that almost smokes like an aro, do you smoke it in a dedicated aro pipe or a burley. It's those border blends that I'm wondering about. Or, does it just not friggin' matter?
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

I'm not familiar with that blend, but if it's not a strong aro, I'd smoke it in a burley pipe. But that's just me. I have a few pipes dedicated to Englishes, aros, a lone cob for grape, and another lone cob for M79. The rest are for my burley blends. But that's just me.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I'd smoke it in a burley pipe if I was a dedicator. Deluxe Crumb smokes like an old time codger burley to me and I don't think that the tonka bean flavor will hurt a burley pipe. And it doesn't matter. :lol:
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I really only dedicate a few pipes to latakia blends, and have one dedicated to deer tongue blends. Everything else is fair game
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Kevin Keith wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:51 pm I'd smoke it in a burley pipe if I was a dedicator. Deluxe Crumb smokes like an old time codger burley to me and I don't think that the tonka bean flavor will hurt a burley pipe. And it doesn't matter. :lol:
What he said...
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Overly sweet goopers and Lake District tobacco's should have somewhat dedicated pipes. Everything else doesn't really matter unless your anal.
The Troll Whisperer
Wooda
Founding Member

My pipes are dedicated to tobacco. That's about it.

I've never had a "ghost" I couldn't smoke out with enough bowls or a deep clean.
Underwater Basketweaver.
Baskets of basket pipes.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Wooda wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:19 pm My pipes are dedicated to tobacco. That's about it.

I've never had a "ghost" I couldn't smoke out with enough bowls or a deep clean.
Rattray's exotic orange will give you a run for the money.
The Troll Whisperer
Rusticated

MikeDennison wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:51 pm I'm not familiar with that blend, but if it's not a strong aro, I'd smoke it in a burley pipe. But that's just me. I have a few pipes dedicated to Englishes, aros, a lone cob for grape, and another lone cob for M79. The rest are for my burley blends. But that's just me.
Thanks Mike
Whalehead King

I don't dedicate pipes. I like the pipes I like and I trust them for their smoke-ability. If a bowl is 'tainted' by what I had in it before, it doesn't bother me as long as the pipe doesn't gurgle and has a decent draw. Every smoke is unique. Variety is the spice of life. I find predictability and homogeneity hobgoblins. I am open to new tastes.

I've never understood the idea of dedicating a pipe to one particular blend or type of blend. It's not like I don't have enough pipes that I couldn't dedicate a few of them. I do. I just don't bother. It seems like too much to keep track of. I don't know. Do people keep post it notes on their pipe rack that says what each pipe is for? I'll smoke something in a pipe and then I'll pack it with something else totally different while the bowl is still warm. I'm a devil-may-care pipe smoker.

I don't dedicate my mouth to one experience. I eat and drink whatever the heck I want in no particular order. I like to mix flavors on one plate or even on one fork. I am the same with a pipe. I know I'm in a minority on this issue. I am open to whatever possibilities a ghost will bring. Am I missing out on pure burley or VaPers goodness? Probably. That particular epiphany isn't high on my agenda. I just wanna smoke my pipe and go about my business with contentment. Rapture doesn't interest me. I get enough of that elsewhere.

This isn't meant to besmirch those who do dedicate pipes and keep notes on top notes and undertones on a spread sheet. I'm a simple man. To look at me, I'm not a codger, but in my bones, I kinda am. Wanna share some tobacco with me? Okay. I'll pack it in this pipe that I happen to have in my pocket and we can talk over the cracker barrel about the state of the world while we enjoy a good smoke over a game of checkers. You'll beat me at checkers.

I like what I like in my routine and the less that interferes with my routine of not paying attention, the better. My routine isn't everyone's cup of tea, I well know. I'm not a busy man, just a simple one. I am a man preoccupied with the things that interest me. Ghosts don't interest me. It's as simple as that. Nothing more and nothing less, hence dedicated pipes is not part of whatever voodoo it is that I do. Mixture 79 followed by Accountant's Mixture in the same bowl in a two hour period? It wouldn't be the first time. It may not be for everyone but it works fine for me.

My advice to anyone looking to try a new routine is: TRY IT OUT. If it works follow it. Dedicating pipes doesn't work for me. YMMV.