Dedicated Pipes Question

Rusticated

Whalehead King wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:55 pm I don't dedicate pipes. I like the pipes I like and I trust them for their smoke-ability. If a bowl is 'tainted' by what I had in it before, it doesn't bother me as long as the pipe doesn't gurgle and has a decent draw. Every smoke is unique. Variety is the spice of life. I find predictability and homogeneity hobgoblins. I am open to new tastes.

I've never understood the idea of dedicating a pipe to one particular blend or type of blend. It's not like I don't have enough pipes that I couldn't dedicate a few of them. I do. I just don't bother. It seems like too much to keep track of. I don't know. Do people keep post it notes on their pipe rack that says what each pipe is for? I'll smoke something in a pipe and then I'll pack it with something else totally different while the bowl is still warm. I'm a devil-may-care pipe smoker.

I don't dedicate my mouth to one experience. I eat and drink whatever the heck I want in no particular order. I like to mix flavors on one plate or even on one fork. I am the same with a pipe. I know I'm in a minority on this issue. I am open to whatever possibilities a ghost will bring. Am I missing out on pure burley or VaPers goodness? Probably. That particular epiphany isn't high on my agenda. I just wanna smoke my pipe and go about my business with contentment. Rapture doesn't interest me. I get enough of that elsewhere.

This isn't meant to besmirch those who do dedicate pipes and keep notes on top notes and undertones on a spread sheet. I'm a simple man. To look at me, I'm not a codger, but in my bones, I kinda am. Wanna share some tobacco with me? Okay. I'll pack it in this pipe that I happen to have in my pocket and we can talk over the cracker barrel about the state of the world while we enjoy a good smoke over a game of checkers. You'll beat me at checkers.

I like what I like in my routine and the less that interferes with my routine of not paying attention, the better. My routine isn't everyone's cup of tea, I well know. I'm not a busy man, just a simple one. I am a man preoccupied with the things that interest me. Ghosts don't interest me. It's as simple as that. Nothing more and nothing less, hence dedicated pipes is not part of whatever voodoo it is that I do. Mixture 79 followed by Accountant's Mixture in the same bowl in a two hour period? It wouldn't be the first time. It may not be for everyone but it works fine for me.

My advice to anyone looking to try a new routine is: TRY IT OUT. If it works follow it. Dedicating pipes doesn't work for me. YMMV.
I might get there some day WK but i think you're light years ahead of me in smoking experience; because of that, I'm wanting to experience the nuances of various types and blends that folks say they taste. I figured the best way to do that, at least for now, is to dedicate some to the basic fab four and see what I can learn through experience. Right now they sit commercial kitchen 4-bin silverware thingy that's marked VA, Bur, Aro, and Eng; someday they may all crawl into the same collective barrel.
Ya know what would be fun, remember those arcade machines that had all the toys in them and you stuck your quarter in there and guided the robot claw to try and pick up the toy? Get one and throw all your pipes in there :lol:
Whalehead King

I do remember those machines. Some tips from what the Claw Boss has to say about this:

A tip of my fedora your way, Rusticated. I'm looking forward to reading more as this thread progresses on topic even though we may have just derailed it by talking about claw machines. We'll see.... ;)
Rusticated

Whalehead King wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:07 pm I do remember those machines. Some tips from what the Claw Boss has to say about this:

A tip of my fedora your way, Rusticated. I'm looking forward to reading more as this thread progresses on topic even though we may have just derailed it by talking about claw machines. We'll see.... ;)
LOL...that was great! But after watching the claw boss it's pretty obvious my idea sucks...we'd never get to smoke our pipes!
sisyphus
Person of Interest

re. the op:
No, I'd smoke it in any Burley pipe. The only Burleys I'd make an exception for are the ones that still qualify as Burleys and not aros, but that have a strong topping. At my house that is Milan's Jefferson Street, which is sort of like Revelation sans the Latakia with a pretty strong butter rum topping. That tobacco is still a Burley as far as I'm concerned, but it also has its very own GBD pot.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
sisyphus
Person of Interest

sisyphus wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:37 am re. the op:
No, I'd smoke it in any Burley pipe. The only Burleys I'd make an exception for are the ones that still qualify as Burleys and not aros, but that have a strong topping. At my house that is Milan's Jefferson Street, which is sort of like Revelation sans the Latakia with a pretty strong rum raisin topping. That tobacco is still a Burley as far as I'm concerned, but it also has its very own GBD pot.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Wooda
Founding Member

sisyphus wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:37 am
sisyphus wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:37 am re. the op:
No, I'd smoke it in any Burley pipe. The only Burleys I'd make an exception for are the ones that still qualify as Burleys and not aros, but that have a strong topping. At my house that is Milan's Jefferson Street, which is sort of like Revelation sans the Latakia with a pretty strong rum raisin topping. That tobacco is still a Burley as far as I'm concerned, but it also has its very own GBD pot.
This sparked a memory explosion.
My first year smoking a pipe, I made it my mission to try and smoke as many revelation match blends as possible. It's what my father's father smoked, and he died about 15 years before I was born.

I dedicated a 1960's MM Legend cob to the project; also what Grampa Wooda smoked.
Underwater Basketweaver.
Baskets of basket pipes.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

The way youre set up ... smoke it in your burley pipe , no doubt . If a tiny bit if flavoring was left over in it ... the next bowl of straight burly will wipe it out , though I dont thinnk one bowl would leave a ghost ... just maybe a thought of a ghost
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Whalehead King

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:12 pm The way youre set up ... smoke it in your burley pipe , no doubt . If a tiny bit if flavoring was left over in it ... the next bowl of straight burly will wipe it out , though I dont thinnk one bowl would leave a ghost ... just maybe a thought of a ghost
Learn from this master ^^^^^. Fear of a ghost and spending one's time trying to detect a ghost will sap away more satisfaction from a bowl than any actual ghost will, any day.

When your thoughts run more toward, "Did I just detect a hint of the last bowl in that last puff?" rather than just enjoying the smoke you've got---that's obsessive compulsive. Go wash your hands a couple dozen times and give your pipe the salt treatment after every smoke. It may make sense in your mind but to a clinical psychologist, it's pretty nutty behavior.

The thought of a ghost has been the ruin of many a good pipe. "It is a mystery."
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Sometimes a little touch of a ghost actually adds to the enjoyment. Occasionally I'll smoke a bowl of SWR in a lat pipe, and find the crossover quite pleasant.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Whalehead King

MikeDennison wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:06 pm ...find the crossover quite pleasant.
Sometimes what seems like it should be the battle of the century turns out to be the greatest team-up of all time:

Last edited by Whalehead King on Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.