Do you use a packing method?

Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Just for my own curiosity, especially given the experience level of the members of the forum, do you use a specific packing method?
3 Step, Frank, Air Pocket, Swirl in the Palm(Irish method?), Codger Scoop, etc? Do you vary your method based on the type of tobacco you are smoking?
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
CoreyR
Founding Member

I use the Corey Reynolds method. I shove tobacco into the bottom of the bowl, repeat until full, don't freaking worry about it. If it ends up too packed for a good draw I stick a Czech pipe tool, thin wire, in it to make an air hole. No worries.
sisyphus
Person of Interest

no, I think it's just a feel/experience thing you develop along the way
I feel the same way about technique. I think the only advice you can give a new smoker regarding technique is that the pipe should always be close to extinguishing itself. I do think that faking technique is a good way to start, because after a month or two of artificially making yourself smoke slow it will become your automatic response and you won't ever have to think about it again.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

When I first picked up the pipe, I watched YouTube videos on pipe packing until I was confused and frustrated. Then someone on the old PSF suggested codger scoop, and I've been doing it ever since with pouches and bulk. From a tin I use the above mentioned stuff it til it's full method. Easy peasy.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Codger scoop
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Wooda
Founding Member

I add tobacco until the draw is right.
Underwater Basketweaver.
Baskets of basket pipes.
DrCapacitor

Codger scoop, and 3 step for non flake, depending on if it's coming from a pouch, tub or tin. For flake I rub it out and just stuff it in the pipe 'till it's full.
Happily puffin' away always looking for the next estate to play with.
Josh
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Wooda wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:39 pm I add tobacco until the draw is right.
Codger stuff?
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Fr_Tom wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:38 pmCodger scoop
Me too.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

MikeDennison wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:09 pm When I first picked up the pipe, I watched YouTube videos on pipe packing until I was confused and frustrated. Then someone on the old PSF suggested codger scoop, and I've been doing it ever since with pouches and bulk. From a tin I use the above mentioned stuff it til it's full method. Easy peasy.
My experience mimics yours. I think I went through virtually every "method" conceived by man before I just gave up and started stuffing it haphazard into the pipe. I eventually learned to fill by feel, where the tobacco was tight, but still had some spring to it. It seems effortless now, when it was truly frustrating starting out.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt