Do you use a packing method?

Whalehead King

As with most things, practice makes perfect.

What's the three-stage method that says: first pack it like the father, firmly, then like the mother, gently, then like the baby, softly? I don't do that but that's what I remember when I first started up with the pipe.

As with most things, I think it's a load of hogwash.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Whalehead King wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:45 pm As with most things, practice makes perfect.

What's the three-stage method that says: first pack it like the father, firmly, then like the mother, gently, then like the baby, softly? I don't do that but that's what I remember when I first started up with the pipe.

As with most things, I think it's a load of hogwash.
Exactly. Like a baby could load a pipe.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Whalehead King

Kevin Keith wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:47 pm Exactly. Like a baby could load a pipe.
Oh, REALLY?

Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Whalehead King wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:51 pm
Kevin Keith wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:47 pm Exactly. Like a baby could load a pipe.
Oh, REALLY?

I have stop ya right there...it never showed the kid loading the pipe. So...
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
LtPiper

Codger Scoop for me.
"It is ordained in the eternal constitution of things, that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge the fetters." - Edmund Burke
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

Usually 3-Step or codger scoop. Frank once in a while if I want a bowl to last longer.

Sometimes a combination of all 3...
ever forward
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I have no idea how it gets in there and damn near perfect every time . Honestly , I dont mean that in a bragging way , its just that I really dont even pay attention to it and its been so long since I started out that I cant really even remember what I was thinking early on . Ive tried to analyse what I do to fill a bowl and the best I can come up with is that its a " Feel Thing " .
I mean , a flake compared to a ribbon compared to a Cavendish hodge podge etc .. I've filled each so many times that I just do it but there is a Feel to each and they are a little different . Problem is , when I slow down and try to figure it ... nothing works because I cant think it like I can Feel it . Its in the touch and teh " spring " of whats in the bowl
I tried at the old PSF but gave up so I'm not gonna pretend I have some great advice other than to say .......... in time , and not a lot of time , you'll be cranking it out without any thought to it . Honest
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Wooda
Founding Member

Fr_Tom wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:33 pm
Wooda wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:39 pm I add tobacco until the draw is right.
Codger stuff?
Codger stuff.
Eventually my age will catch up to my technique.
Underwater Basketweaver.
Baskets of basket pipes.
JBRiner

Like so many others, I just codger scoop it in there and just load it. I honestly don’t really thing about it. Sorta like tying my shoes... it just happens lol.

When I was a newbie I had trouble getting it right. But after some time it became second nature. Practice makes perfect!
Adwyth
Maynard

Fr_Tom wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:33 pm
Wooda wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:39 pm I add tobacco until the draw is right.
Codger stuff?
Yep me too.