Holy bubbling Grabows Batman!

Preacher1611
Member in Good Standing

The first pipe I ever bought was Dr. Grabow Grand Duke. It never bubbled up like this over the 20 years I've smoked it until 2 or maybe 3 years ago... maybe longer? I can't remember. But it did bubble, why a brand new one would bubble is beyond me. Bad lacquer is probably the issue as suggested above.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Just wanted to update that Dr. Grabow did respond to me, and they have forwarded the issue on to management. I will let you folks know how they handle it. I am sure they will do right by me though, given the kind of company they are.

Also, FYI.. the contact form on their site doesn't seem to work :?
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Whalehead King

I've had this happen with some pipes, usually when I smoke too hot. I scraped off the bubbles with my pocket knife and, then, eventually, all the lacquer for a bare, albeit amateurish, look.

As for cobs, I've had them start smoking because they got too hot and then have smoke issue out from a burn hole in the side when I wasn't paying attention and just puffing away. It happened to two new cobs, back-to-back. Rather than learn my lesson, I just don't smoke cobs anymore.

These weren't Chinese cobs, either. They were the real deal: Missouri Meerschaum. I don't blame MM. I blame my lackadaisical and absent-minded technique. It's my own darned fault. :oops:
Maynard

I sanded a pipe that was gifted from Fr-Tom to an old friend of mine because of the bubble issue and a Viking bowl I bought off ebay same reason just lightly sanded and then buffed turned out good the eBay bowl was NOS and sure that Tom’s pipe wasn't new. Maybe it's a problem that appears from time to time.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Maynard wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:08 am I sanded a pipe that was gifted from Fr-Tom to an old friend of mine because of the bubble issue and a Viking bowl I bought off ebay same reason just lightly sanded and then buffed turned out good the eBay bowl was NOS and sure that Tom’s pipe wasn't new. Maybe it's a problem that appears from time to time.
That Zulu I sent you was in a lot I bought for $9.99 or something to get a Grabow pot and a poker in the mix. It had a vulcanite stem and was adjustomatic. I think they started phasing out the adjustomatic in 1990 or so. It was smoked when I got it, and I smoked it a little too. I just did not have the patience for the smaller bowl. I can believe the lacquer mix gets off or the sprayer puts on too heavy a coat before they catch the adjustment.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017