Hurricane Florence

CoreyR
Founding Member

Ok, I have not seen a thread for Hurricane Florence yet so here it is.
I live in Dinwiddie, Virginia. Kinda right between Raleigh and Richmond. Looks like we are gonna get hit but after it has been ashore for a few hours at the least.
I work in Richmond, for a non essential state agency which is DETERMINED not to shut down because....I had better not give my opinions here, this is kinda one of those, "the beatings shall continue until moral improves" places.
I have been working , the past couple of nights, getting the house ready for the coming blow. This will be my yankee wife's first southern hurricane. God bless her, she has no sense of urgency about it. She just doesn't "get" what is coming.
Last night I burned a big pile of debris, which we have accumulated from ongoing work from moving in two years ago, out back. One of my dogs, Spotty, helped out with that. He is my "fire dog" and herds fire kind of like some dogs herd sheep. I can work on other things, in the immediate area, and leave Spotty to watch the fire. He will circle it, non stop. If an ember pops out, he will drag it back in. If there is something he cannot deal with, he will point it, seriously, and bark to get my attention. I keep a shovel ready and come running if I hear him barking. He also lets me know when the fire starts to die down and I need to rake it up. I need to get some video of him doing this sometime but I was too busy, last night, cleaning up the Busted Knuckle (my workshop/garage) and hauling all the empty gas cans to the truck so I can fill them tonight. Tonight I am filling ALL gas cans, propane canisters, topping off water jugs, the whole enchilada. Wednesday we will fill all the bathtubs.
Also going to top off the freshwater tanks in the travel trailer, both for potential usage and for added weight in wind. Gotta weight down the carport and generally get up everything we can find outside also.
It's gonna be a big one folks.
On a Pipe note. I got my pipes cleaned and ready and a selection of great tobacco standing by. Couple of good books too. I am ready to ride the storm out in style.
IS there anyone else in the path of Florence, who can take a minute to tell what they are up to?
Ray Mackessy
Man About Town

I live in Sumter SC which is in the mid-state. We should get a lot of rain and maybe up to tropical storm force winds. I lived thru Hurricane Hugo so I think I'll get thru Florence okay. Generator ready to go and I'm stocked up on water and non-perishable food. Prayers for those who are in the direct path of Florence.
CoreyR
Founding Member

Oh yeah, Genny is ready and chained/padlocked down.
avid

Good luck with all the preparations, guys...I hope they aren't needed too much.
insufferable filter guy
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Yeah...what @Avid said. All the best!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
CoreyR
Founding Member

These things keep us on our toes and make life interesting.
ncrobb
Founding Member

My son attends Regent in Virginia Beach. The campus and campus housing are mandatory evacuation at 2pm. He is heading to our NC house. My wife is leaving ourTN place and heading to NC as well. Looks like it will still get lots of rain and wind but not the full blow of the coast. I have many friends in the Wilmington area and my prayer list is long. I am in Ft Worth for the week.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
CoreyR
Founding Member

I am praying for everyone in the direct path of this monster. It is sounding pretty bad. Especially where it is coming ashore.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Best wishes to any of you in the path of Flo
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Whalehead King

Down here in New Orleans, everyone in the storm's path is in our prayers.