Hurricane Florence

CoreyR
Founding Member

We, the Richmond Virginia area, were hit by multiple tornados yesterday afternoon. I was in my office, in downtown richmond, when every cell phone in the building went off, followed by every computer screen, with a "tornado likely" warning. This, of course, led to EVERYONE running to the glass fronts of the glass building, yelling "where is it?"
A minute or so later the alarms sounded again with "Extreme tornado warning in your area, seek shelter immediately!" and we got an internal email directing everyone to go to the basement, where out law library and courtrooms are located.
I headed for the front door as my wife was in the vicinity and I am just not the type to leave her hanging out there. Then the sirens started to go off. My boss asked, "what is that sound?" I told her, "tornado sirens, it means a tornado is imminent." She said, "what should we do?" I replied "were I you I would head for the basement." Then I walked out the door.
I got some nice pictures, as my wife and I drove clear of the area. I'll try and post them later on.
Most of the damage was actually down in Chesterfield, the county south of Richmond, right in the area I lived in up until about 5 years ago. Where I grew up. One person was killed, a furniture store was leveled, cars were flipped over, several other buildings were damaged and trees were knocked down. It could've been worse, I suppose, but this was bad enough.
...and that was our excitement for the month!
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

CoreyR wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:51 am We, the Richmond Virginia area, were hit by multiple tornados yesterday afternoon. I was in my office, in downtown richmond, when every cell phone in the building went off, followed by every computer screen, with a "tornado likely" warning. This, of course, led to EVERYONE running to the glass fronts of the glass building, yelling "where is it?"
A minute or so later the alarms sounded again with "Extreme tornado warning in your area, seek shelter immediately!" and we got an internal email directing everyone to go to the basement, where out law library and courtrooms are located.
I headed for the front door as my wife was in the vicinity and I am just not the type to leave her hanging out there. Then the sirens started to go off. My boss asked, "what is that sound?" I told her, "tornado sirens, it means a tornado is imminent." She said, "what should we do?" I replied "were I you I would head for the basement." Then I walked out the door.
I got some nice pictures, as my wife and I drove clear of the area. I'll try and post them later on.
Most of the damage was actually down in Chesterfield, the county south of Richmond, right in the area I lived in up until about 5 years ago. Where I grew up. One person was killed, a furniture store was leveled, cars were flipped over, several other buildings were damaged and trees were knocked down. It could've been worse, I suppose, but this was bad enough.
...and that was our excitement for the month!
Glad you and the missus are ok, sir!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
avid

CoreyR wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:51 am ...and that was our excitement for the month!
that should be enough excitement to last you for a good long time...
insufferable filter guy
CoreyR
Founding Member

Oh, we are fine. The most "damage" that we suffered was our crazy "tornado" of dogs, tearing outta the house and down the steps last night. The goofs knocked over several planters full of herbs! They kind of looked like a furry tornado too. Like something from a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

Chesterfield though, they were not so lucky. I have been checking with friends and coworkers, who still live there, all morning. So far, not a one has had damage but two of them live in areas that were damaged. One had to take in friends last night because they could not get home.
I used to run rescue squad out there. I am sure I shall "get the word" on it soon enough.