Latest Pipe Purchase 2018

APWB

Here are a couple more pics since I could only add four to the original post

Here’s the little stand that came with the Falcon.

Staring into my soul
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

APWB wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:30 pm Went antique shopping with my wife and ended up bringing more home than her. I usually don’t like to buy stuff for myself, but they had so much interesting stuff that I couldn’t resist.

This chunky and stubby Custombilt has some little flecks of paint on it, but other than that it’s in decent shape. The only marking on it says “Imported Briar,” but I’ve never seen a pipe that looks like that made by anyone else.

This is my first Falcon. The pipe and a funny little stand (Santa matchbook included) were only $7.50. I bought it assuming I’d be able to just replace the bit for a few bucks, but all I’m finding online so far are entire stems.

This is what I was most excited about. I’ve wanted a meerschaum pipe for a while, but I’m too cheap to buy a new one and cheap used ones are usually pretty rough. If I could choose anything, I’d get a more classic shape with lattice carving. However, this one was the right price and it’s unsmoked. There are no markings on the pipe or case, hopefully it’s block meerschaum. There was a CAO cowboy head but it was almost three times as much.

Gotta have somewhere to put them.
The falcon bits can't be purchased on their own (they aren't technically supposed to be removable) but the good news is that one looks pretty easy to fix
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
APWB

Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:56 pm
APWB wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:30 pm Went antique shopping with my wife and ended up bringing more home than her. I usually don’t like to buy stuff for myself, but they had so much interesting stuff that I couldn’t resist.

This chunky and stubby Custombilt has some little flecks of paint on it, but other than that it’s in decent shape. The only marking on it says “Imported Briar,” but I’ve never seen a pipe that looks like that made by anyone else.

This is my first Falcon. The pipe and a funny little stand (Santa matchbook included) were only $7.50. I bought it assuming I’d be able to just replace the bit for a few bucks, but all I’m finding online so far are entire stems.

This is what I was most excited about. I’ve wanted a meerschaum pipe for a while, but I’m too cheap to buy a new one and cheap used ones are usually pretty rough. If I could choose anything, I’d get a more classic shape with lattice carving. However, this one was the right price and it’s unsmoked. There are no markings on the pipe or case, hopefully it’s block meerschaum. There was a CAO cowboy head but it was almost three times as much.

The falcon bits can't be purchased on their own (they aren't technically supposed to be removable) but the good news is that one looks pretty easy to fix
Is there a how-to out there somewhere? That’s a pretty significant hole someone chomped through it
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Wow! What a great haul!! Good for you, brother!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Wooda
Founding Member

APWB wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:59 am Is there a how-to out there somewhere? That’s a pretty significant hole someone chomped through it
Lots of how-to's about rebuilding a button.

Short version is:

1. get it really, really clean.

2. plug the airway with something nonstick. (folded up paper schmeared with petroleum jelly, stack of pipe cleaners, etc)

3. fill the hole with black pigmented Cyanoacrylate adhesive aka CA aka Superglue.

4. let set 24 hours or spray it with quickset and wait 10 minutes. Pull the greased paper/pipe cleaners from airway.

5. File down and sand to shape your button. file the inside to smooth airway if needed/wanted.

6. Repeat 3 to fill in the little holes left by bubbles in the CA.

7. micromesh whole stem to polish up to your level of acceptable shine.

8. Don't buff. Really, don't.
Underwater Basketweaver.
Baskets of basket pipes.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Wooda wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:29 am
APWB wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:59 am Is there a how-to out there somewhere? That’s a pretty significant hole someone chomped through it

Short version is:

2. plug the airway with something nonstick. (folded up paper schmeared with petroleum jelly, stack of pipe cleaners, etc)

3. fill the hole with black pigmented Cyanoacrylate adhesive aka CA aka Superglue.

4. let set 24 hours or spray it with quickset and wait 10 minutes. Pull the greased paper/pipe cleaners from airway.

5. File down and sand to shape your button. file the inside to smooth airway if needed/wanted.

Don't want to jump in here, since your post was for someone else. But I really appreciate how simple you make these repairs! Makes me think that even someone like me can try his hand at pipe restoration. :) Thanks again!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
APWB

Wooda wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:29 am Lots of how-to's about rebuilding a button.

Short version is:

Thanks! I might just clean it and slap a rubber bit on it for now... :lol:
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Just put in a bid on a lot of 15 estate pipes on the 'bay. Hoping to get'em cheap so's I can practice the restoration techniques I've been reading about here on PSF. Wish me luck!
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

MikeDennison wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:21 pm
Wooda wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:29 am

Short version is:

Don't want to jump in here, since your post was for someone else. But I really appreciate how simple you make these repairs! Makes me think that even someone like me can try his hand at pipe restoration. :) Thanks again!
It's more tedious than hard, do it enough and you'll develop your own methods. Here's a Charatan I have the luxury of owning since nobody wanted to bid on it, likely due to the stem. For just under $20 and with a little work it's all mine.

On topic P&C had 20% off so I grabbed a tub of SWRA, 1/2 pound of Louisiana Red, and a 1/2 pound of Anniversary Kake. Might need some jars.
rekamepip
Codger in Training

scored a couple unsmoked clay pipes and a matching ashtray for the one