Latest Pipe Purchase 2018

Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Just picked up another Old England, this one a shape 52s (a straight apple with saddle stem) that has the same rustication as the 58s I have. I figure for less than $25 I can find out if the one I have is a freakishly good smoker or if they all smoke great. This one will need a good cleaning when it arrives
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Another Butz Choquin Metz Origine, couldn't pass it up and bid unopposed. Just needs a little cleaning.

Houtenziel
Codger in Training

In a moment of pure insanity I bought a Peterson System 314 today. GQ Tobaccos over in the UK was selling them so cheap, that even with international shipping I managed to snag it for 88 bucks all together. I've been wanting to give both the system pipes and P-Lip stems a try for a long time, so this seemed somewhat serendipitous. Hopefully I will be burning the roof of my mouth in 8-10 days..
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

houtenziel wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:22 pm In a moment of pure insanity I bought a Peterson System 314 today. GQ Tobaccos over in the UK was selling them so cheap, that even with international shipping I managed to snag it for 88 bucks all together. I've been wanting to give both the system pipes and P-Lip stems a try for a long time, so this seemed somewhat serendipitous. Hopefully I will be burning the roof of my mouth in 8-10 days..
I have a 302 that is a great pipe. I bet you will enjoy this one!
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Fr_Tom wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:48 am I have a 302 that is a great pipe. I bet you will enjoy this one!
The 302 was the other shape I was considering. If the 314 works out, I will probably buy the 302 as well.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

houtenziel wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:28 am
Fr_Tom wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:48 am I have a 302 that is a great pipe. I bet you will enjoy this one!
The 302 was the other shape I was considering. If the 314 works out, I will probably buy the 302 as well.
The 302 is a great shape. I had 2 Pete system pipes that I picked up that were both fantastic. The p-lip on one was uncomfortably thick for me and the other one (a 302) always had a bit of a sour smell towards the end of the bowl (but my nose is extremely sensitive to that sort of thing) Won't see me jumping on the Pete hate bandwagon.
Splodger

Just got this little number today. A Peterson: Barrel Smooth P-Lip. First smoke was half a bowl of Ye Old Signe. I'm delighted with it!Image
Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind - Henry James
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Splodger wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:33 pm Just got this little number today. A Peterson: Barrel Smooth P-Lip. First smoke was half a bowl of Ye Old Signe. I'm delighted with it!Image
The Pete tankard / barrel is a great shape
Splodger

I don’t have many pipes (but I have a really rather special one arriving today) and I was surprised at how dinky it is, but it really is a joy to behold. I very quickly found that one really needs to sip at it.

SP obviously took a better shot of it than I did.

Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind - Henry James
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

I am of the opinion that all pipes should have silver/nickel bands. I guess I picked that up from old Kaywoodies and Grabows where it was really common - there is something about the union of briar, metal, and stem that just does it for me.

I am hoping now that Laudisi owns Peterson, that they will majorly clamp down on their QC and we will start seeing the full range of their stuff improving. They are one of very few pipe makers that have an array of shapes I like that also satisfies my lust for bling'd out shanks. :D
― Theodore Roosevelt